StopMotionAnimation.com

taking one frame at a time since 1999

If I shoot in 12 or 12.5 fps for stop motion, do I shoot in one's or two's? Also,my stop motions will have lip sync

Views: 555

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If you set the speed at 12 frames per second, you would only shoot one frame, then move the puppet.  Then you put it in a video that plays back at 12 frames per second, and it plays at the speed you intended.    If you want to upload to Youtube at 12 fps, just shoot ones, do the whole thing at 12 fps.  The file size will be half as big because there are half as many frames as a film that plays at 24fps, and I'm pretty sure Youtube can do a 12 fps playback.

But if you were making a 24 fps film, and had the speed set at 24 fps, you would shoot 2 frames the same.  Why shoot the extra frames, if each pair of them are the same?  Well, it gives you the option of shooting on ones when the motion gets fast, then going back to twos, all in the same shot.

If it was in a film that was going to play at 24 frames per second, but you only shot 12 frames for each second, on ones, you could double the length to 200%  of your animation in After Effects, so each of your frames would be repeated.  Then it would look the same as if you had shot "on twos" for a speed of 24 fps.  Shooting on twos is a term that dates from shooting film, where it would always be projected at 24 fps.  If you wanted to only do 12 moves per second, you would shoot two frames. 

Same with 12 1/2 fps and 25 fps.  Broadcast video and DVDs always play at the same speed, 25 fps for PAL countries.  If you were going to put it on a PAL dvd that plays at 25 fps, you would want 2 frames for each puppet move.   So either you shoot each one twice (at 25 fps), or you set the speed to 12 1/2 fps and shoot only once, but then stretch out the duration of the shot to 200%  in AE or your editing program so you get 2 of each frame.

So just ones?

Yes, shoot at 12 or 12 1/2 fps, on ones.

On second thought - you live in the USA, which doesn't use PAL video at 25 fps, so you don't need to use 12 1/2 which is half of that.  Just stick to 12 fps, which is half of the film rate of 24 fps, because that is the same in every country.

So, shoot on ones, at 12 fps. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Website News & Tips

October 10, 2021

NEW MEMBERS
If you are new to the site, please feel free to introduce yourself on this Message Board thread.

MY PAGE
You can now customize your personal page. Go to My Page/Customize My Page.

PRIVACY
To control who sees your posts and Profile Page, go to Settings/Privacy.

MESSAGE BOARD & BLOG POSTS
If you have a question for the community, it is best to post your question on the Message Board instead of a Blog. Blogs are best for featuring your stop motion projects.

VIDEO
When posting a video, if possible, use the Embed Code instead of the URL. Your video will be a larger, more viewable size.

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

If you have a question or are looking for answers, you'll find a wealth of information here on the Message Board.

BEGINNERS a good place to start
ANIMATOR TALK experienced animators
YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT what r u working on?
STORY script, storyboarding and storyreel
ANIMATION TOOLS
 what's a surface gage?
STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS Dragonframe and VFX
CAMERA & STAGE camera, lighting and moco rigs
SOUND lip-sync, sound effects and music 
ARMATURES ball & socket and wire 
MACHINE SHOP metalwork tool & talk 
SCULPTING sculpture information and advice 
HAIR & COSTUME materials and technique 
CASTING
 foam, silicone and resin 
CLAY clay puppet construction 
GENERAL PUPPET MAKING 
other puppet fab issues
STOP MOTION SETS set design and construction
MODEL DEPARTMENT
 miniature prop discussion

and even more...
MATTE PAINTINGS
GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS 
STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION 
FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS
PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION
FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS 
ANIMATION SCHOOLS 
STOP MOTION BOOKS 
STOP MOTION ON VIDEO 
WORK OPPORTUNITIES

FOR SALE 
CHAT BOARD 

WEBSITE NEWS AND FEEDBACK

SMA.com on YouTube

New NMBC Book!

© 2021   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}