Dear all,

I am making a timelapse / hyperlapse movie that will feature an 8 second stop motion clip that I wish to make.

I am looking for some quick tips and advice you may have.

I will be taking a time lapse of an area and masking out movement.  I've done that before so no issue there.  Using a chroma green background, I then want to overlay some action figurines (with moving arms and legs) walking onto the set and an toy rocket landing.  I can easily make the muzzle flame in Adobe After Effects. 

I have seen how Dragonframe works for stop motion but I don't want to spend that amount of money.  I have Eye-Fi SD card to send each shot via wifi to the PC and thought I could toggle through and compare each image with Windows Photo Viewer.  Would that work instead of Dragonframe?

I don't have the stop motion skills with models and setting up a scene. 

Am I on the right track to make this all happen?  What would I need to consider ?

Thanks in advance.

Stephen 

Views: 174

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The way you have described viewing the feed of images is going to be a bit tricky for comparing images quickly, and things like onion skinning. But the first time I tried making an animation I just used the screen on the back of an old Nikon D200, so it will work. 

One thing I think you will need to consider is the output frame rate for your time lapse and the FPS of your animation and probably try to make them devisable by one another for example if your footage was output to 24 fps you might want to make your animation 12 fps, or ideally 24. 

You will probably get a bit of lens flicker from the animation if you are using a digital specific lens as the aperture will be slightly inaccurate so it might be a good idea to shoot wide open.

There are some plugins for Lightroom which are great for reducing flicker and balancing exposure for time lapse photography so it might be a good idea to use that on the time lapse so as you get your exposure as accurate as possible. 

good luck

Thanks Anthony.  I have heard the term onion skinning and presume this allows the ability to see through the frame while its overlaid on the previous.  I think the best I might be able to manage is a quick flick back and forth to compare.

Good point to consider is the frame rate as you say.  

Thanks for the tips !

Reply to Discussion

RSS

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

STOPMO NEWBIES
basic stopmo discussion

ANIMATOR TALK
experienced animators looking to improve

CAMERA & STAGE
animation camera, lighting and moco rigs

ANIMATION TOOLS & EQUIPMENT
animation tool and rigging discussion

STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS
frame capture, editing, and post-production

STORY
script, storyboarding and storyreel discussion

SOUND
lip-sync, sound effects and music

YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT
discuss your stopmo film

ARMATURES
ball & socket and wire armature discussion

MACHINE SHOP
metalwork tool & talk

SCULPTING
sculpture information and advice

HAIR & COSTUME
materials, patterns and technique

CASTING
foam, silicone and resin

CLAY
clay puppet construction

GENERAL PUPPET MAKING
other puppet fabrication issues

STOP MOTION SETS
set design and construction information

MODEL DEPARTMENT
miniature prop discussion

MATTE PAINTINGS
glass matte paintings and backgrounds

GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS

STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION

FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS

PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION

FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS

ANIMATION SCHOOLS

STOP MOTION BOOKS

STOP MOTION ON VIDEO

JOBS & PROJECTS
post here if you are looking for talent to hire

SWAP MEET
stop motion items for sale

CHAT BOARD
general discussion

SITE FEEDBACK
report bugs, comments and suggestions here

Latest Activity

KK Akuoku posted a discussion
6 hours ago
Alice Golden posted a blog post

Common Sleep Disorders

Sleeping disorders are hard to understand because of their complex symptoms that may lead to…See More
9 hours ago
shopwigs posted a blog post

Argon oil to thoroughly hydrate the hair

It is important to follow the instructions carefully and avoid scrubbing the area with harsh soaps.…See More
23 hours ago
StopmoNick replied to Savannah Winchester's discussion Puppet Clothing Continuity - How can I keep clothes from moving?
"You can get aluminium flashing, which is similar to lead without the health issues.  I…"
yesterday

© 2020   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}