BROKEN is my new stop motion short and is now posted on the videos page. Inspired by the cult movie classic The Brain That Wouldn't Die (1962) BROKEN tells the story of a damaged robot who attempts to keep his companion alive after a catastrophic accident. Please give it a look. I'd be interested in your reaction.

Views: 379

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Great job! Fascinating! I just loved the video. I started watching it and I could not stop.  The story is excellent. The characters are good. I know you questioned the pacing as you were making the video. I thought the pacing was very good. There is just something about this video that is 'touching'. I have worked my way through several pages of your blog site. It was so good of you to keep a record of how you did it. Even the color scheme of the set and the characters fit so well. I never thought about music until you mentioned it in your blog. I think you made the right choice to not add music. I cannot see how music would have enhanced what turned out to be an excellent stop motion video. Congratulations on doing an excellent job!

Thank you for the kind words Keith. I'm glad you liked the film. I'm also pleased that you visited the blog. I often wondered about the value of all those posts and it's encouraging to know that they were at the very least, entertaining.

Cool.  The animation in this is really smooth and very well done.  I have a question for you--I make my own eyeballs for my characters by baking sculpey eyes and then painting on the details in acrylic and then covering that with an acrylic gloss sealant, but it seems like no matter what I do, the eye paint ends up chipping off as I use the center hole to move them around.  Your eyes appear to be hand done and were really nice, what did you use to make them?

The eyes are made from standard wooden beads that you can buy at any hobby shop. They come in various sizes. The beads come with holes which I cover with wood filler. Once the filler dries I sand the balls smooth and  paint them white with several coats of regular white acrylic paint. FYI - I always use the smooth part of the beed for the iris and hide the part I filled inside the head of the puppet. Next I drill a small hole right through to the entire ball. I leave the ball on the drill bit but pull it back just enough so that only the tiny hole is showing.  I flip the drill around, lock it in my vice and run it very slowly. With a fine brush I use black paint to create the iris while the ball slowly spins on the drill. This gives me a nice, perfect circle for the iris. Once that dries, the rest is done free hand. As far as sealing it ... I use Polyurethane Clear Semi gloss. Usually 3 to 4 coats. I have found that be very effective. Polyurethane is meant to be used with painted wood so it's very durable ...  but ... over the course of several months it can start to yellow slightly. Remember though ... if you are making foam rubber puppets, don't bake them with these eyes. Use a couple of untreated wood beads as slugs. Then, after the puppet is baked you can pop out the slugs and put in the real eyes. Sorry .. didn't mean for that to be so long winded.

Thanks a lot!  That's very helpful.

This is really good video. The character, the animation and most importantly the story you chose is perfectly suited for the video. It is rarely seen that the combination of all paid off really well. Also the brave choice for not adding the music. The enhanced 3d character animation is really smooth and alluring.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

STOPMO NEWBIES
basic stopmo discussion

ANIMATOR TALK
experienced animators looking to improve

CAMERA & STAGE
animation camera, lighting and moco rigs

ANIMATION TOOLS & EQUIPMENT
animation tool and rigging discussion

STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS
frame capture, editing, and post-production

STORY
script, storyboarding and storyreel discussion

SOUND
lip-sync, sound effects and music

YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT
discuss your stopmo film

ARMATURES
ball & socket and wire armature discussion

MACHINE SHOP
metalwork tool & talk

SCULPTING
sculpture information and advice

HAIR & COSTUME
materials, patterns and technique

CASTING
foam, silicone and resin

CLAY
clay puppet construction

GENERAL PUPPET MAKING
other puppet fabrication issues

STOP MOTION SETS
set design and construction information

MODEL DEPARTMENT
miniature prop discussion

MATTE PAINTINGS
glass matte paintings and backgrounds

GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS

STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION

FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS

PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION

FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS

ANIMATION SCHOOLS

STOP MOTION BOOKS

STOP MOTION ON VIDEO

JOBS & PROJECTS
post here if you are looking for talent to hire

SWAP MEET
stop motion items for sale

CHAT BOARD
general discussion

SITE FEEDBACK
report bugs, comments and suggestions here

Latest Activity

Norah bailey posted a blog post

Ways to Fix Quicken Download Error 28

How can I Fix Quicken Download Error 28? Quicken software is known to serve a wider audience in the…See More
12 minutes ago
Norah bailey updated their profile
14 minutes ago
Sylvia Warren replied to Michael Hearst's discussion Looking for animator for short song(s).
"Although you cannot comprehend all the college freshman slogans, they will become meaningful the…"
18 hours ago
Integral investigator replied to Michael Hearst's discussion Looking for animator for short song(s).
"Are you looking for the leading Sydney private investigator, famous around Australia? Lipstick…"
21 hours ago

© 2020   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}