StopMotionAnimation.com

taking one frame at a time since 1999

Hi

someone could advise the best method to achieve a silicone skin
as they did in the movie Fantastic mr.fox and Corpse Bride.

I know that inside the two halves there must be a head shape that determines the thickness of the skin, I do not know how to split the mold to allow the silicone chutes well without creating bubbles.

I have experience in making mold, I made puppets and limbs in full sillicone skin but I have difficulty with the design of the mold to the skin

Thank you!

Views: 2473

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That's a great-looking head michelangelo!! 

How much facial animation do you need it to be able to do? It looks like the mouth doesn't open and close? Maybe just eyebrow movement? Or do you want it to be able to smile and/or frown too? 

hi

I would like the mouth and managed to smile or sad and he could do with his eyebrows at least the main expressions ... everything ;)

Ok thank you. 

I don't have any answers - I just thought that information would be helpful for those people who CAN give answers!  

Very good moldmaking video too! 

thanks anyway

I would put the square blocks on the diagonal - just rotate it so the seam line runs corner to corner.   That way they will taper in each mould half, and come out of the mould more easily.  Two parallel sides will stick in the mould.

I'm still not sure where to pour the silicone in though.  I would use the top or back of the head if there will be hair to cover it.  If the bald head will be seen all over, I think you need a hole in the base to pour into.  As you probably saw in my video, I place the armature in the mould and cast it solid, I don't try to make a hollow skin with small puppet heads.

hi Nick

thanks for your advice!

so I just have to try!!

M

Hi

someone used it to paint Urethane rubber?

Brush-on 40

http://www.smooth-on.com/gallery.php?galleryid=421

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Website News & Tips

NEW MEMBERS

If you are new to the site, please feel free to introduce yourself on this Message Board thread.

MY PAGE
You can now customize your personal page. Go to My Page/Customize My Page.

PRIVACY
To control who sees your posts and Profile Page, go to Settings>Privacy.

MESSAGE BOARD & BLOG POSTS
If you have a question for the community, it is best to post your question on the Message Board instead of a Blog. Blogs are best for featuring your stop motion projects.

VIDEO
When posting a video, if possible, use the Embed Code instead of the URL. Your video will be a larger, more viewable size.

Stopmo Jam HALLOWEEN!

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

If you have a question or are looking for answers, you'll find a wealth of information here on the Message Board.

BEGINNERS a good place to start
ANIMATOR TALK experienced animators
YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT what r u working on?
STORY script, storyboarding and storyreel
ANIMATION TOOLS
 what's a surface gage?
STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS Dragonframe and VFX
CAMERA & STAGE camera, lighting and moco rigs
SOUND lip-sync, sound effects and music 
ARMATURES ball & socket and wire 
MACHINE SHOP metalwork tool & talk 
SCULPTING sculpture information and advice 
HAIR & COSTUME materials and technique 
CASTING
 foam, silicone and resin 
CLAY clay puppet construction 
GENERAL PUPPET MAKING 
other puppet fab issues
STOP MOTION SETS set design and construction
MODEL DEPARTMENT
 miniature prop discussion

and even more...
MATTE PAINTINGS
GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS 
STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION 
FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS
PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION
FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS 
ANIMATION SCHOOLS 
STOP MOTION BOOKS 
STOP MOTION ON VIDEO 
WORK OPPORTUNITIES

FOR SALE 
CHAT BOARD 

WEBSITE NEWS AND FEEDBACK

SMA.com on YouTube

New NMBC Book!

© 2021   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}