Hey y'all...

Just wondering what the stop motion community/landscape is like in my newfound city of Chicago, IL. Any companies or animators out here working primarily in stop motion?

Kevin

Views: 935

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

i know tom brierton is out in evanston making a stop motion movie.

Hey, I'm from the Chicagoland area. Lived in the city itself for about 10 years. 

I just fell into the stop-motion world this past year. Still working on my first short, and planning for the next. I haven't had a look around to see what the scene is like for stop-motion, though. So far I've been working with some folks over in Ireland that I met on an indie film shoot in the city.

I'd be very interested to know if there are any communities, workshops, or studios as well.

Cheers! And welcome to the windy city.

I currently live in Chicago and to my knowledge there aren't any real studios/communities geared towards stop motion in the city (yet). I would love to know if there is a community of animators out here though. If not, it's something to consider setting up! I've been looking to make some animated shorts for the past year and would love to get to know some more people in the city with similar interests. In any case welcome to Chicago Kevin! It's a pretty great place (except for the weather that can't make up its mind).

If you ever find yourself needing an extra set of hands on a project feel free to let me know. 

Cheers,
Adam M.

Hey Mike,

Who you working with in Ireland? Im from Ireland, dont think theres a huge amount of stop motioners there, I could know em!?

Hey Paul, 

I'm actually working for a production company, not a stop-motion animation studio. The concept and funding came from the folks in Ireland, and the actual production has been a solo project. We've been having some chats about moving me out there though for a future project though. If that does happen, I know we'll probably be looking for puppet animators. 

Ah cool sounds good, would love to get involved either on a model making side or animating... Where bouts in Ireland are the folks? Can you name the production co? I'm actually looking for a production company rright now to apply for funding in Ireland for a project

Awesome, I'll keep that in mind once we get settled on the details. 

As far as the company goes, I'm always willing to help a fellow creative in whatever way I can, but I'm not comfortable referring anyone directly like that right now. I just got in trouble for putting their name on work-in-progress stuff. I'm also only allowed to show work up to a certain level of completion. 

The best I can do is ask if they would be interested in an outsourced project, though they've only funded internal projects in the past, and are currently seeking funding for more of their own projects. 

I'm not being evasive, that's just a really gray area for a little ol creative like me to stick my paws into.

Not at all man I totally understand! Yeah mention the project if you like, no pressure at all!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

STOPMO NEWBIES
basic stopmo discussion

ANIMATOR TALK
experienced animators looking to improve

CAMERA & STAGE
animation camera, lighting and moco rigs

ANIMATION TOOLS & EQUIPMENT
animation tool and rigging discussion

STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS
frame capture, editing, and post-production

STORY
script, storyboarding and storyreel discussion

SOUND
lip-sync, sound effects and music

YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT
discuss your stopmo film

ARMATURES
ball & socket and wire armature discussion

MACHINE SHOP
metalwork tool & talk

SCULPTING
sculpture information and advice

HAIR & COSTUME
materials, patterns and technique

CASTING
foam, silicone and resin

CLAY
clay puppet construction

GENERAL PUPPET MAKING
other puppet fabrication issues

STOP MOTION SETS
set design and construction information

MODEL DEPARTMENT
miniature prop discussion

MATTE PAINTINGS
glass matte paintings and backgrounds

GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS

STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION

FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS

PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION

FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS

ANIMATION SCHOOLS

STOP MOTION BOOKS

STOP MOTION ON VIDEO

JOBS & PROJECTS
post here if you are looking for talent to hire

SWAP MEET
stop motion items for sale

CHAT BOARD
general discussion

SITE FEEDBACK
report bugs, comments and suggestions here

Latest Activity

Integral investigator replied to Michael Hearst's discussion Looking for animator for short song(s).
"Looking for a ""> private investigator in Sydney? Integral Investigations has been…"
14 hours ago
Integral investigator replied to Michael Hearst's discussion Looking for animator for short song(s).
"Looking for a "">private investigator in Sydney? Integral Investigations has been…"
14 hours ago
StopmoNick replied to Evan's discussion Reccomend a camera for 11yr old lego brick film enthusiastic beginner
"Cheapest is to use a smartphone or tablet with a good camera that you already have.  Use it…"
16 hours ago
Evan posted a discussion

Reccomend a camera for 11yr old lego brick film enthusiastic beginner

My son has been really enjoying making brick films using a webcam for a few months now and is keen…See More
Saturday

© 2020   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}