Hey guys,

Im doing a little bit of stop motion for my art final work this year at school and have decided to redo a work I did last year of growing up because I didnt have much time last year to finish (Ive attached last years work below). I ran into some problems last time tho such as morphing figures with a wire armature is a pain and because I was animating at school, every time I came back my puppet would have drooped and sagged. The oil clay also liked to bleed onto my hands quite a bit (it was really cheapy clay that we had in the store room).

I reckon puppet putty would be ideal but living in Aus its harder to come by so I was just wondering if anyone had tried clay animation with polymer clay like super sculpey? I have played around with the firm version and it seems like the normal version may work for what I need. But would I be able to animate smallish figures, say 2-3 inches tall, without an armature? I figure it would crack quite a bit but Im not going to be doing much "animation" with it, mostly morphing. 

Thanks in advance,

Jack

EDIT:

File doesnt seem to open for me so I uploaded it to youtube:

Views: 1744

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I know a guy who has done a ton of animation with polymer clay. Some animators swear by it... Polymer clay can not be melted, though.

Sweet! I do like the feel of polymer clay but youre right, not being able to melt it is nearly a deal breaker. I think for now Im going ahead with the polymer so Ill see how it goes.

I make a meltable polymer clay, if you want to try that out. It's a mix of the properties of polymer clay and the properties of oil-based clay (and it can be melted!)

https://www.stopmotionstore.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath...

Not too many colors left, but the next shipment will be out in a few days. Hollywood studios have been contacting me to make a bunch for them lately, which has delayed the restock at the Stopmotion Store.

Jack Spiggle said:

Sweet! I do like the feel of polymer clay but youre right, not being able to melt it is nearly a deal breaker. I think for now Im going ahead with the polymer so Ill see how it goes.

I would love to give your clay a try but as I mentioned in the original post it would cost me astronomically more to ship to Australia than the clay itself =(. Congrats on these mysterious Hollywood studio contracts btw =D

Oh! I didn't even see the mention... Thanks :) 

Yeah, shipping is a bit of a puzzle. Hoping to get international distribution one of these days. It may take a Kickstarter.

Jack Spiggle said:

I would love to give your clay a try but as I mentioned in the original post it would cost me astronomically more to ship to Australia than the clay itself =(. Congrats on these mysterious Hollywood studio contracts btw =D

A Kickstarter sounds like a great idea =O

dude, i think u can bring it to reality, look what Guldies can do with super sculpey original ;)

but, mb u need to mix it with little bit of "firm" sculpey to get more smooth and strong moves from your puppets :з

guldies is so good. 
Serge Taganski said:

dude, i think u can bring it to reality, look what Guldies can do with super sculpey original ;)

but, mb u need to mix it with little bit of "firm" sculpey to get more smooth and strong moves from your puppets :з

Never occurred to me that he used sculpey =3 cheers Serge

ur welcome UuU

Jack Spiggle said:

Never occurred to me that he used sculpey =3 cheers Serge

Don Carlson said:

I make a meltable polymer clay, if you want to try that out. It's a mix of the properties of polymer clay and the properties of oil-based clay (and it can be melted!)

https://www.stopmotionstore.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath...

Not too many colors left, but the next shipment will be out in a few days. Hollywood studios have been contacting me to make a bunch for them lately, which has delayed the restock at the Stopmotion Store.

Any idea when the clay will be back in stock? I'd love to get my hands on some. Also does it stain or crack when moved when it cools?

Hi Noah, 

Puppet Putty is back in stock, although the packs will soon be 3 liquid oz instead of 6 and the price will be a little over half of what it was to adjust for economic inflation. The advantage will be that you'll be paying less per pack with a wider selection of colors.

It does not stain, but it will crack if it is too cold. Halogen lighting is recommended to keep it warm enough to bend (between 70 and 80 degrees Fahrenheit). You can also melt it to a pourable liquid when it is heated in a double boiler at 200 degrees F. It can be microwaved, but you have to watch it to make sure it does not get too hot in the center, and this should be done only 10 seconds at a time, no more than 3 times to get it soft until it cools down and firms up again. The heat of your hands will also soften it pretty quickly, making spot repairs easier. The surface is silkier than most clay does not need any solvent to smooth it- you can use your fingers and a crack will just glide shut with a small amount of pressure.

I'm extremely picky when it comes to clay, so I originally designed the Putty for my own work and gave it some features you don't normally see: lightweight, colorfast, and firm enough to hold detail at room temperature (70 degrees F). Some brands have one or two of these properties, but none have all of them. It took 4 years of research and development and many failed experiments. Here's what you can do with it when it's warm!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

STOPMO NEWBIES
basic stopmo discussion

ANIMATOR TALK
experienced animators looking to improve

CAMERA & STAGE
animation camera, lighting and moco rigs

ANIMATION TOOLS & EQUIPMENT
animation tool and rigging discussion

STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS
frame capture, editing, and post-production

STORY
script, storyboarding and storyreel discussion

SOUND
lip-sync, sound effects and music

YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT
discuss your stopmo film

ARMATURES
ball & socket and wire armature discussion

MACHINE SHOP
metalwork tool & talk

SCULPTING
sculpture information and advice

HAIR & COSTUME
materials, patterns and technique

CASTING
foam, silicone and resin

CLAY
clay puppet construction

GENERAL PUPPET MAKING
other puppet fabrication issues

STOP MOTION SETS
set design and construction information

MODEL DEPARTMENT
miniature prop discussion

MATTE PAINTINGS
glass matte paintings and backgrounds

GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS

STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION

FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS

PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION

FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS

ANIMATION SCHOOLS

STOP MOTION BOOKS

STOP MOTION ON VIDEO

JOBS & PROJECTS
post here if you are looking for talent to hire

SWAP MEET
stop motion items for sale

CHAT BOARD
general discussion

SITE FEEDBACK
report bugs, comments and suggestions here

Latest Activity

Caroline Fawell replied to Joshua Hurtado's discussion Baking Epoxy putty and Polymer Clay Together
"ps it was the wrong foam, returned it! onto the bandage tomorrow probably...."
1 hour ago
Eric J. Nelson posted a video

"Engraved Danger" Stop Motion SYFY Ident by Heavy Visuals

in this :15 sec. SYFY station ID, stop motion animated cyborgs visit "Bot-D-Art" tattoo parlor for some fresh ink and grinding. Client: SYFY broadcast and so...
8 hours ago
Charles Jimenez posted discussions
19 hours ago
Evie Metz replied to Evie Metz's discussion What is this animators process with her puppets?
"Also StopmoNick, may I ask how did you make the clouds move and what materials did you use for the…"
yesterday

the inventor

© 2020   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}