Hi, new to the site. I have a question about protecting aluminum wire from breaking for use in puppet making. I was considering adding a layer of hot glue on the wire so as to add support, and in the case of the wire breaking, the layer of glue would still keep it in place. The glue is flexible and seems to hold up pretty well.  Any thoughts? 

Views: 146

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You can use hot glue as "bones" to stiffen the wire, where it isn't supposed to bend, maybe.  But not at the joints where you need the wire to bend.   It isn't flexible enough. And if the wire broke it wouldn't help.  I use epoxy putty as bones, and leave a gap of 8 to 12 mm at the joints so it isn't forced to bend in too small a spot.  Using more than one strand of wire can help, if one wire breaks the other may keep you going to the end of the shot.  For my 12" humanoid puppets, I usually have 2 strands of 18th" (3mm) armature wire in the legs.  I like to have the 2 wires side by side, not twisted except at the hip, this lets the wires bend more easily front and back at the knees and ankles.  I do twist it lightly in the spine.  I can get through a 5 minute film with the main character not breaking any wires, sometimes even a second film, though by then the foam latex is likely to be deteriorating .

Smaller puppets need finer wire.  2 or 3 strands of 1/16th" (1.5mm) wire work for the legs and spine of a 5 to 7 inch tall puppet.   I've just used 2 strands of 2.5mm wire for  a wolf puppet legs and spine, it's a size not found at art supply stores but I got it from Whimsie in the US.  The 3mm was just a bit too stiff for the size. 

To help the wire last longer:  Be sure to bend the wires with your hands, don't use pliers anywhere near where the joints will be.  A knick in the wire will cause it to fatigue and break.  Leave a gap in the joint area so the wire can bend in a more gentle curve, not too sharp a bend in the same tiny spot.  

Some puppet makers like to make arms, legs, or hands replaceable so if a wire breaks you can put in a new one.  I don't usually bother, except for replaceable heads, so one body can be used for several characters.   You can hold the wire in place with a screw, or sometimes just by fitting one square brass tube inside another nd pinching them a bit with pliers.  It is better if the wires are first glued into some metal tubing, so the screw doesn't squish the wire itself, but presses against the hard tube.  (I use round aluminium tube, because the brass is not good for latex, and square tubing only comes in brass.)  The ends of metal tube can be sharp, so a blob of epoxy glue or putty extending at the end of the tube protects the wire from being cut by the metal edge.  Same with metal blocks for hip or chest, even aluminium is harder than the soft annealed aluminium armature wire, so a bit of epoxy where the wire comes out of the block can protect it.  My aluminium foot blocks need a bit of epoxy around the holes where the wires go in.  Wooden blocks aren't a problem.  Blobs of epoxy putty formed around the wire instead of glueing the wire into holes in blocks are also not  problem.

I do sometimes drill a few extra holes in the hip block, just in case I need to fit a new wire for one of the legs, but it is really very rare for a leg wire to break.  But if there is room it's not a bad idea.

Here's a wire armatured puppet being made, showing how I do it.  Also look on Youtube for tutorials by Bluworm (Richard Svensen) who uses armature wire for his many puppets.  

Great tips! Ive decided against the glue for now as it seems unnecessary. In my test, the glue outlasted the wire, then immediately pierced through. I might think using it in the future though, since it is quite flexible. Im sure wires will end up breaking and thats all part of the fun. I appreciate the thoughtful reply! 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

STOPMO NEWBIES
basic stopmo discussion

ANIMATOR TALK
experienced animators looking to improve

CAMERA & STAGE
animation camera, lighting and moco rigs

ANIMATION TOOLS & EQUIPMENT
animation tool and rigging discussion

STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS
frame capture, editing, and post-production

STORY
script, storyboarding and storyreel discussion

SOUND
lip-sync, sound effects and music

YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT
discuss your stopmo film

ARMATURES
ball & socket and wire armature discussion

MACHINE SHOP
metalwork tool & talk

SCULPTING
sculpture information and advice

HAIR & COSTUME
materials, patterns and technique

CASTING
foam, silicone and resin

CLAY
clay puppet construction

GENERAL PUPPET MAKING
other puppet fabrication issues

STOP MOTION SETS
set design and construction information

MODEL DEPARTMENT
miniature prop discussion

MATTE PAINTINGS
glass matte paintings and backgrounds

GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS

STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION

FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS

PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION

FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS

ANIMATION SCHOOLS

STOP MOTION BOOKS

STOP MOTION ON VIDEO

JOBS & PROJECTS
post here if you are looking for talent to hire

SWAP MEET
stop motion items for sale

CHAT BOARD
general discussion

SITE FEEDBACK
report bugs, comments and suggestions here

Latest Activity

Charles Jimenez posted discussions
4 hours ago
Evie Metz replied to Evie Metz's discussion What is this animators process with her puppets?
"Also StopmoNick, may I ask how did you make the clouds move and what materials did you use for the…"
12 hours ago
Evie Metz replied to Evie Metz's discussion What is this animators process with her puppets?
"Thank you endlessly. First, I must say I'm grateful for the opportunity to say I am a huge…"
13 hours ago
havenhaven replied to Oscar Weiner's discussion What's a good editing software that's free and worthy of trying?
"Life, even if there are a thousand reasons to make you cry, you still have to find a million…"
16 hours ago

the inventor

© 2020   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}