StopMotionAnimation.com

taking one frame at a time since 1999

Digital Go-Motion. An advancement> Or a sell out to compete with CGI?

A while back some of you may remember that I created a motion blur technique to add to stop motion similar to RSMB, but at no cost. I've refined this technique to a very simple pre-set now, that can be reduced or increased depending on how much blur you want on a hand animated movie creation. Below , two links with the blur applied to the Valley of Gwangi Dino fight. And stop motion test footage from Jurassic Park 1993. Provided courtesy of Lionel Ivan Orozco. Question is. Do we need it ,or less blur effects to keep it looking like traditional work to a degree. And so on. Many animators have mixed views when it comes to bluring the line between stop mo and CGI. What do you think?

I posted an older version of this video quite some time ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hANr1GZ-oO8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s43bRbZaAOk

Views: 2081

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Lol, Why am I not suprised

I think you should do what looks good to you because its your personal style. Of course we all strive to better our selves working the craft of stop-motion, there is no standard here just unique styles, and if its not broken then don't try fixing it. Ya dig?

I've seen some attempts of using RSMB to add motion blur to animated characters. And that's not what it is really good at. It analyses the frames fore and after the current to figure out how much any feature is moving in a general way. That makes it great for adding gomotion to a moving background while keeping the character in focus. Like in the wrong trousers train chase scene. Except they were actually triggering the movement of the backdrop while making the exposure, frame by frame. But RSMB is really good at making such an effect in post. But not the flapping wings of a bird or pitching of a ball. I would like to test it on a camera pan in stopmotion, I only tried it on 3D rendered images, where they forgot to add motion blur to the settings. It was 1200 snippets of 12 frames turns, left and right to a "seventh guest" like, game. But what this plugin did was adding ellipsoids of different lengths to parts of the image depending on the distance it traveled. So that things in the distance were blurred more than those closer. The single image looked terrible but the effect was more than believable when played back. I think you could make some very nice camera moves without a big MOCO rig just by applying the RSMB and maybe their real smart time stretcher thing. Just by planning a camera path and move it frame by frame. That's on my bucket list. Anyone here has a license to RSMB?

I have an RSMB Pro license and I've used it many times. I'm very happy with the results it gives me for my animation, especially since the Pro version gives me additional tools to refine the motion blur it adds. I sometimes need to add or change something about the blurs with Photoshop but most of the time it does a good enough job on its own.

You really get the best results when the puppets are shot separately and the background is keyed out, that way only the character is blurred and the background it's matted into doesn't get blurred along with it. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Website News & Tips

NEW MEMBERS

If you are new to the site, please feel free to introduce yourself on this Message Board thread.

MY PAGE
You can now customize your personal page. Go to My Page/Customize My Page.

PRIVACY
To control who sees your posts and Profile Page, go to Settings>Privacy.

MESSAGE BOARD & BLOG POSTS
If you have a question for the community, it is best to post your question on the Message Board instead of a Blog. Blogs are best for featuring your stop motion projects.

VIDEO
When posting a video, if possible, use the Embed Code instead of the URL. Your video will be a larger, more viewable size.

Stopmo Jam HALLOWEEN!

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

If you have a question or are looking for answers, you'll find a wealth of information here on the Message Board.

BEGINNERS a good place to start
ANIMATOR TALK experienced animators
YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT what r u working on?
STORY script, storyboarding and storyreel
ANIMATION TOOLS
 what's a surface gage?
STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS Dragonframe and VFX
CAMERA & STAGE camera, lighting and moco rigs
SOUND lip-sync, sound effects and music 
ARMATURES ball & socket and wire 
MACHINE SHOP metalwork tool & talk 
SCULPTING sculpture information and advice 
HAIR & COSTUME materials and technique 
CASTING
 foam, silicone and resin 
CLAY clay puppet construction 
GENERAL PUPPET MAKING 
other puppet fab issues
STOP MOTION SETS set design and construction
MODEL DEPARTMENT
 miniature prop discussion

and even more...
MATTE PAINTINGS
GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS 
STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION 
FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS
PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION
FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS 
ANIMATION SCHOOLS 
STOP MOTION BOOKS 
STOP MOTION ON VIDEO 
WORK OPPORTUNITIES

FOR SALE 
CHAT BOARD 

WEBSITE NEWS AND FEEDBACK

SMA.com on YouTube

New NMBC Book!

© 2021   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}