Hi Everyone !

I'm working on a project using Dragon Frame. Once the shooting was finished, I started color grading the jpeg frames using Photoshop and Camera Raw.

Once the color grading was finished, I replaced all the original jpeg files in the Dragon Frame folders (the HiRes ones) and went back to Dragon Frame in order to export quicktime videos out of the color graded frames.

Although the shots now appear color-graded in the DF browser, once exported the quicktime files don't look that good (colors seem a bit washed out / de-saturated, and black looks greyish).

This is really weird because I don't create a compressed, self-contained movie, but a reference movie that points to source files, in order to avoid quality loss. Why are the source files perfect but not the video file that points to them ?

Is that due to some color profile thing ? Or does Dragon Frame process the files to make quicktime videos ?

Thanks guys !

Views: 2741

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm not experienced about, but I remeber, in another topic, that it is not good to work into the folders, using Dragonframe. In fact I prefer modify the single frames in Photoshop, opening them one at the time, direct from Dragon, save in JPG and turn on Dragon.  This means that  I can't use Camera Raw, and also means a considerable time. 

I have  never been able to export decent-looking Quicktimes from Dragon - they're only really good if you need a quick render to show someone. I always import my Hi-Res files into AfterEffects as a JPEG sequence, work on them there and then export individual scenes as Quicktimes to edit in FinalCut Pro. Everybody has their own workflow, but Dragon is really not the best for Quicktime renders.

I had the same problem; an expert advised me to use H264 codec best quality at the end of editing, alternatively use  Apple Prores.   When I open quicktime after export from Dragon, it can happen that the clip runs jerky, but I use it at the same, on Final Cut (old version).  However quality is a open problem for me too.

TV Paint Animation would be better than Photoshop for working on the frames if you are using Jpegs. It will import the whole sequence of Jpegs from the folder, so you don't have to work on them one at a time. That makes it quicker. I use it for painting out support wires, adding extra frames, removing frames, some compositing, eye blinks, lightning, some colour grading, and adding titles.

Tank you StopmoNick, I put it in my shopping list; I'm waiting for a educational license (of my son), seeing it's relatively expensive.  Indeed everyone tend to use  software that he masters better.  I have many applications (es. Adobe production premium suite and Camera Raw, and Anime Studio Pro), but can't use each of them.  And my first friend-enemy is After Effect, and my total, real enemy is Final Cut Pro X, for ever.

Mike has done a superb long post on colour management in the thread of the same name. It is a bit related to this thread, although it deals with image sequences rather that QT videos. Personally I couldn't get on with QT either.

Marina, you can open a batch of Raw frames from Dragonframe in the Camera Raw dialog box if you go to Photoshop, click on Open, then select all the frames you want to open. They should come up as thumbnails on the L side of the box. Above them are two buttons, for 'Select All' and 'Synchronize' . You can then make changes for all the frames, such as cropping or exposure adjustments. When you want to save them, click on the blue writing at the bottom, which brings up the settings for the changes. Decide what you want, then press 'Save Images'. After that don't open the images into Photoshop, just click 'Done', and the whole batch will be saved in the location you specified.

Thank you very much, Simon. I saved your post in my "basic advices notepad".  Until now I worked with jpeg on Dragon, and operated on Dragon's controls to make changes of several frames at the same time.  Sometime operated in FinalCut for the same purpose.  I used photoshop for remove rigs from few frames, using layers, because my figures…luckily jumped or ran few times. I think that actual overall quality of my clips be "low profled" enough to allow me to settle a midding definition. A friend of mine told me "Remember, HD is a double-edged sword".

Reply to Discussion

RSS

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

STOPMO NEWBIES
basic stopmo discussion

ANIMATOR TALK
experienced animators looking to improve

CAMERA & STAGE
animation camera, lighting and moco rigs

ANIMATION TOOLS & EQUIPMENT
animation tool and rigging discussion

STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS
frame capture, editing, and post-production

STORY
script, storyboarding and storyreel discussion

SOUND
lip-sync, sound effects and music

YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT
discuss your stopmo film

ARMATURES
ball & socket and wire armature discussion

MACHINE SHOP
metalwork tool & talk

SCULPTING
sculpture information and advice

HAIR & COSTUME
materials, patterns and technique

CASTING
foam, silicone and resin

CLAY
clay puppet construction

GENERAL PUPPET MAKING
other puppet fabrication issues

STOP MOTION SETS
set design and construction information

MODEL DEPARTMENT
miniature prop discussion

MATTE PAINTINGS
glass matte paintings and backgrounds

GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS

STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION

FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS

PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION

FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS

ANIMATION SCHOOLS

STOP MOTION BOOKS

STOP MOTION ON VIDEO

JOBS & PROJECTS
post here if you are looking for talent to hire

SWAP MEET
stop motion items for sale

CHAT BOARD
general discussion

SITE FEEDBACK
report bugs, comments and suggestions here

Latest Activity

Sal Elder replied to Sal Elder's discussion Choice of sculpting materials for moldmaking
"Nick, thanks for the thorough reply. I'll keep this info in mind when I try it."
16 hours ago
StopmoNick replied to Sal Elder's discussion Choice of sculpting materials for moldmaking
"You want it to sort of stick, enough to stay in place while you make the mould, but not mix and be…"
17 hours ago
Maelvon replied to KC's discussion Camera Raw
"Great, and what is your workflow to convert Raw files to Exr? Thanks a lot, Maelvon"
yesterday
Matilda Crona posted a discussion

How To Grab Attention With Animated Content

If you are suffering from a web page that does not hold audience, or a blog that has problems with…See More
yesterday

the inventor

© 2020   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}