Hi I'm having some trouble with controlling DF arc motion control in a way that yields expected results. If someone could offer clarification I would be very grateful. 

The problem is I can't interpret the move visually because the bezier curve doesn't seem to orientate itself according to the appropriate keyframe. In the image attached the playhead is at the beginning of the move, but the bezier curve shows up later. What would be the reason for this? Im shooting on twos; this leads me to my next question I'll ask in another post.

*Side Note: I am using the eMotimo 2 axis system, which controls an extra dolly axis. The focus motor is the built in Canon servo motor (a happy accidental discovery that I can key frame focus using the servo in the lens. 

Here is the hardware setup if you are curious.

Views: 605

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It looks like maybe you are using the "frame numbering on twos" feature?

Unfortunately, we don't recommend that feature, and it's not supported when using DMX or Arc. That's why the keyframes aren't in the correct position.

The user guide talks about new ways of shooting on twos. You can either explicitly shoot two frames or do a single capture that is held for two frames.

Thanks, I will definitely make the changes on my next shot.

Dyami Caliri said:

It looks like maybe you are using the "frame numbering on twos" feature?

Unfortunately, we don't recommend that feature, and it's not supported when using DMX or Arc. That's why the keyframes aren't in the correct position.

The user guide talks about new ways of shooting on twos. You can either explicitly shoot two frames or do a single capture that is held for two frames.

Hi,
I just found this thread and it looks pretty old, but hopefully someone sees this:
You mention you can keyframe focus through the lens servo. I was hoping this was possible, but this is the only place I've seen it mentioned.  How do I set it up through Dragonframe? I'm shooting with a Canon 7D with Canon lenses (24-70, 50, 24, 100 macro) on a motion control rig (Dynamic perception stage zero) controlling dolly, pan and tilt, and was really hoping I didn't have to go out and buy a follow focus motor for the lens. What is the connection/port called in Dragonframe? TIA

Hi Tim,

I believe this is when i was cutting my teeth with moco and DF. I barely remember the details and have long since sold that lens and the 16-35 I had (which also connected a few times). Connection with that type of lens was not something that was not consistent for me. I was learning at the time so I more than likely was overlooking what I did to make it connect. If I was to try it out again today I would select a preset when editing the focus axis (starting with emotimo's). Maybe drop support@dragonframe an email after you experiment and familiarize yourself with the axis settings. If you make it work consistently definitely post instructions here!

Tim said:

Hi,
I just found this thread and it looks pretty old, but hopefully someone sees this:
You mention you can keyframe focus through the lens servo. I was hoping this was possible, but this is the only place I've seen it mentioned.  How do I set it up through Dragonframe? I'm shooting with a Canon 7D with Canon lenses (24-70, 50, 24, 100 macro) on a motion control rig (Dynamic perception stage zero) controlling dolly, pan and tilt, and was really hoping I didn't have to go out and buy a follow focus motor for the lens. What is the connection/port called in Dragonframe? TIA

Reply to Discussion

RSS

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

STOPMO NEWBIES
basic stopmo discussion

ANIMATOR TALK
experienced animators looking to improve

CAMERA & STAGE
animation camera, lighting and moco rigs

ANIMATION TOOLS & EQUIPMENT
animation tool and rigging discussion

STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS
frame capture, editing, and post-production

STORY
script, storyboarding and storyreel discussion

SOUND
lip-sync, sound effects and music

YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT
discuss your stopmo film

ARMATURES
ball & socket and wire armature discussion

MACHINE SHOP
metalwork tool & talk

SCULPTING
sculpture information and advice

HAIR & COSTUME
materials, patterns and technique

CASTING
foam, silicone and resin

CLAY
clay puppet construction

GENERAL PUPPET MAKING
other puppet fabrication issues

STOP MOTION SETS
set design and construction information

MODEL DEPARTMENT
miniature prop discussion

MATTE PAINTINGS
glass matte paintings and backgrounds

GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS

STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION

FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS

PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION

FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS

ANIMATION SCHOOLS

STOP MOTION BOOKS

STOP MOTION ON VIDEO

JOBS & PROJECTS
post here if you are looking for talent to hire

SWAP MEET
stop motion items for sale

CHAT BOARD
general discussion

SITE FEEDBACK
report bugs, comments and suggestions here

Latest Activity

David Tomasiewicz posted photos
3 minutes ago
Julian Smith replied to Julian Smith's discussion Tracked Motion Control Rig with Model Mount
"sorry.  I meant to add that the centre cage should have gears for rolling."
24 minutes ago
Julian Smith replied to Julian Smith's discussion Tracked Motion Control Rig with Model Mount
"Hello Simon, I wonder if you can help me with some Fusion 360 modelling? I've found these two…"
3 hours ago
Miles Brandon updated their profile
12 hours ago

© 2020   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}