StopMotionAnimation.com

taking one frame at a time since 1999

HALLOWEEN is the theme for STOPMO JAM 3. Deadline is SEPTEMBER 18, 2021

Get ready for STOPMO JAM 3!

This time the theme is everyone's favorite stopmo time of the year: HALLOWEEN!

So what is a STOPMO JAM?

It is a series of short animated ideas that all relate to the theme. We've done Spring and Run in the past, this time it's Halloween!

Puppets can be made of clay, paper, foam, wire, sand, whichever materials you can utilize to create your design but it must be stop motion animated. Sorry no LEGOs, action figures, toys, or store bought items are allowed UNLESS it is modified (painted, covered with paper or clay, etc). The goal is to make a hand-made experimental film. Stop motion puppets, 2d cutouts, sand, painting, pixelation*, all hand-made animation techniques allowed.

*EDIT: animating your hand interacting with a puppet is ok

Background: A Black Sweep is best but it's ok to build sets and props. For editing purposes, just make sure your first and last frames are completely black. Either your puppet enters and exits a completely black set (simplest way to accomplish this much like STOPMO JAM Spring) or some kind of trick, like the camera zooms into the black eye socket of a skeleton (like we did in Corpse Bride)

Important Technical Requirements!

For your Jam to look its best, please adhere to these guidelines.
Shot Length: 15 seconds maximum

Frame Rate: 24 fps (not 23.96 or 30 or 29.97....24 please!) 
 
Aspect Ratio: 16:9 @ 1920 x 1080
 
Finished Animation: export to Quicktime (H264 is good)
 
Add your own Sound FX. Make sure you have the rights to it. Better yet, record your own! 
DEADLINE is SEPTEMBER 18, 2021. This may seem like a long ways away but for stop motion people, it's just around the corner. Remember, you have to build and animate everything yourself. You could easily spend months just building a puppet. Start thinking of your idea first, once you have nailed it down, get to work. If you have any questions, send me a message thru SMA.com or better yet, reply to this thread. Content must be ok for kids to watch.* I reserve the right not to include your animation if it doesn't fit into these guidelines. Ok go make something!


*EDIT: More about Content. Think about making this fun for all ages. Monsters, ghosts, haunted houses, tricks and treats, spooky creatures all good. Keep a lid on the blood, this is not a slasher horror film. If you have any questions, drop me a note here.

Views: 2447

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Done !! I thought it was my new lights that were the problem, so I ignored the flickering.

but it was this - stupid me...

Hans Jacob Wagner said:

I'll most probably will do that - no way I can get the sound etc.. in place. I'm still working on the set and plan to start animating tomorrow. I've cut down the scene to five takes. I think it's manageable but it leaves not much time for post, so there might end up being a boom or a rig in the picture. It's been fun and I'll keep prolonging the scene after this deadline. But you will have something Saturday for sure!! I've been spending all too much time on the kids and blown the timeline, I don't think the producer will ever work with me again

I have sent you a DM Anthony!
Can send you a link to the almost finished edit in the meantime if you need it today.

Congratulations all participants! Looking forwards seeing this unijam all put together :)

Roos Mattaar said:

I have sent you a DM Anthony!
Can send you a link to the almost finished edit in the meantime if you need it today.

Looks like you have been working hard on the theme. Great!

Hans Jacob Wagner said:

Done !! I thought it was my new lights that were the problem, so I ignored the flickering.

but it was this - stupid me...

Hans Jacob Wagner said:

I'll most probably will do that - no way I can get the sound etc.. in place. I'm still working on the set and plan to start animating tomorrow. I've cut down the scene to five takes. I think it's manageable but it leaves not much time for post, so there might end up being a boom or a rig in the picture. It's been fun and I'll keep prolonging the scene after this deadline. But you will have something Saturday for sure!! I've been spending all too much time on the kids and blown the timeline, I don't think the producer will ever work with me again

IMPORTANT:

If you submitted an Entry for Stopmo Jam 3, please check your SMA Inbox. I sent you a list of Credits and I need each of you to confirm and verify they are correct. Thanks!

This is great news, Anthony. I will quote Simon Tytherleigh here, which I pretty much agree on; the experience will most likely be like "a ride on a ghost train at the funfair". I have a good feeling about this.

Just finished reading the entire thread, catching up with all comments and other things. It seems about 16 people were in this thread, that is already a great number for a jam, and of course anyone else not as casual commentator, but as passionate about submitting stuff for the theme.

Hoping everyone had a pleasant experience up to here, able to finish their production, having faced all sort of challenges (I can only imagine!) Can't wait for it.



Anthony Scott said:

The JAMS are in and are looking awesome! I've received over 20 thus far and I expect more today. If you are running behind and need a bit more time, drop me a line so I can add yours to the list. Send me a DM

You guys really went to town on this one! The Jams look incredible, so many creative ideas. I have 22 total Halloween Jams at present all loaded up in DaVinci Resolve. I know of one more possibly coming in but that should be it. I aim to get this published on YouTube hopefully by Oct. 10. I am working full-time like most everyone else so it'll take me awhile to get it all together but as of now, it runs just over 5 minutes. I am looking for some End Credit music so if you have any free spooky music, please hit me up. I expect to need maybe 2 mins max. Also need everyone to check their SMA Inbox to view their credits and confirm they are correct, or change, add, etc. 

Picking out music is the one part of this entire film process that I dislike. Not sure if its because I like it all or because I hate all I hear. With that said I have already found a perfect song for a scene I have been working on forever on a site called ProductionCrate. A quick search of "spooky songs" has 6 free songs/trailer music to use. With a free account you get 5 downloads a day of the free items. Initially they ask for a donation but you can still create an account with out donating.

Hi! 

Maybe you already know him, there is a great musician who makes free music, the only requirement is to attribute him in the credits (he also receives donations). He has material of all genres and of great quality, in this YouTube video someone made a summary of his scars songs (in the description are their respective direct links): https://youtu.be/FN_3tRLK3QA

Also, within the same page where Kevin's works are, there are also other artists who, most of them also allow free download and use with attribution: https://filmmusic.io/search.
In the search engine as a keyword I wrote "Halloween" and several interesting results came up, like this one: https://filmmusic.io/song/6663-halloween-the-pumpkin-head

Hope I helpedgood luck editing! :)



Anthony Scott said:

You guys really went to town on this one! The Jams look incredible, so many creative ideas. I have 22 total Halloween Jams at present all loaded up in DaVinci Resolve. I know of one more possibly coming in but that should be it. I aim to get this published on YouTube hopefully by Oct. 10. I am working full-time like most everyone else so it'll take me awhile to get it all together but as of now, it runs just over 5 minutes. I am looking for some End Credit music so if you have any free spooky music, please hit me up. I expect to need maybe 2 mins max. Also need everyone to check their SMA Inbox to view their credits and confirm they are correct, or change, add, etc. 

Thanks Steve I'll definitely check it out.

Steve Copeland said:

Picking out music is the one part of this entire film process that I dislike. Not sure if its because I like it all or because I hate all I hear. With that said I have already found a perfect song for a scene I have been working on forever on a site called ProductionCrate. A quick search of "spooky songs" has 6 free songs/trailer music to use. With a free account you get 5 downloads a day of the free items. Initially they ask for a donation but you can still create an account with out donating.


Thanks Marina, I'll check out the link.


Marina Lisasuain said:

Hi! 

Maybe you already know him, there is a great musician who makes free music, the only requirement is to attribute him in the credits (he also receives donations). He has material of all genres and of great quality, in this YouTube video someone made a summary of his scars songs (in the description are their respective direct links): https://youtu.be/FN_3tRLK3QA

Also, within the same page where Kevin's works are, there are also other artists who, most of them also allow free download and use with attribution: https://filmmusic.io/search.
In the search engine as a keyword I wrote "Halloween" and several interesting results came up, like this one: https://filmmusic.io/song/6663-halloween-the-pumpkin-head

Hope I helpedgood luck editing! :)



Anthony Scott said:

You guys really went to town on this one! The Jams look incredible, so many creative ideas. I have 22 total Halloween Jams at present all loaded up in DaVinci Resolve. I know of one more possibly coming in but that should be it. I aim to get this published on YouTube hopefully by Oct. 10. I am working full-time like most everyone else so it'll take me awhile to get it all together but as of now, it runs just over 5 minutes. I am looking for some End Credit music so if you have any free spooky music, please hit me up. I expect to need maybe 2 mins max. Also need everyone to check their SMA Inbox to view their credits and confirm they are correct, or change, add, etc. 

When it comes to music, first person that comes to mind is James White. He is always up for making music collabs and is very keen for setting ambient music and creative sounds. 

Perhaps he could help on that. :) Just a thought.

Anthony Scott said:

You guys really went to town on this one! The Jams look incredible, so many creative ideas. I have 22 total Halloween Jams at present all loaded up in DaVinci Resolve. I know of one more possibly coming in but that should be it. I aim to get this published on YouTube hopefully by Oct. 10. I am working full-time like most everyone else so it'll take me awhile to get it all together but as of now, it runs just over 5 minutes. I am looking for some End Credit music so if you have any free spooky music, please hit me up. I expect to need maybe 2 mins max. Also need everyone to check their SMA Inbox to view their credits and confirm they are correct, or change, add, etc. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Website News & Tips

NEW MEMBERS

If you are new to the site, please feel free to introduce yourself on this Message Board thread.

MY PAGE
You can now customize your personal page. Go to My Page/Customize My Page.

PRIVACY
To control who sees your posts and Profile Page, go to Settings>Privacy.

MESSAGE BOARD & BLOG POSTS
If you have a question for the community, it is best to post your question on the Message Board instead of a Blog. Blogs are best for featuring your stop motion projects.

VIDEO
When posting a video, if possible, use the Embed Code instead of the URL. Your video will be a larger, more viewable size.

Stopmo Jam HALLOWEEN!

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

If you have a question or are looking for answers, you'll find a wealth of information here on the Message Board.

BEGINNERS a good place to start
ANIMATOR TALK experienced animators
YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT what r u working on?
STORY script, storyboarding and storyreel
ANIMATION TOOLS
 what's a surface gage?
STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS Dragonframe and VFX
CAMERA & STAGE camera, lighting and moco rigs
SOUND lip-sync, sound effects and music 
ARMATURES ball & socket and wire 
MACHINE SHOP metalwork tool & talk 
SCULPTING sculpture information and advice 
HAIR & COSTUME materials and technique 
CASTING
 foam, silicone and resin 
CLAY clay puppet construction 
GENERAL PUPPET MAKING 
other puppet fab issues
STOP MOTION SETS set design and construction
MODEL DEPARTMENT
 miniature prop discussion

and even more...
MATTE PAINTINGS
GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS 
STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION 
FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS
PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION
FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS 
ANIMATION SCHOOLS 
STOP MOTION BOOKS 
STOP MOTION ON VIDEO 
WORK OPPORTUNITIES

FOR SALE 
CHAT BOARD 

WEBSITE NEWS AND FEEDBACK

SMA.com on YouTube

New NMBC Book!

© 2021   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}