StopMotionAnimation.com

taking one frame at a time since 1999

Hi to everyone!
Sorry if this is not precisely the right place to ask this, but whoever did this is probably around here, I hope!
Watching Nightmare before Christmas for the Nth time with my kids, I got again this question in my mind:
How did you hide the camera from view in the door knob spheric reflection? at first I thought, maybe shooting towards Jack first and then composite that on top of the knob, but then Jack grabs the knob and it looks perfect, in camera-like!!!! What???!! How did you guys pull this off? :-O
It's a great effect and goes very unnoticed, I think. Any ideas?

Views: 473

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I didn't shoot it but I vaguely remember the set up. They basically built a circular tent for the background painted sky (and maybe some of the trees) I'll see if I can find more info.

Hi Anthony!
Thanks for replying! :)

This is intruiging, you are right.

So presumably there's a shot done with a fisheye lens that gets composited onto the doorknob, and Jack's hand then comes in to grab it? Such a great idea for a shot!

I checked around and got a few responses on this from different crew members. It was all shot in camera, no compositing as there were very few composites in the film.

Set Construction Supervisor, Bo Henry: We built the set to the reflection, the camera was a hole in the backdrop that was painted looking at the monitor.

Todd Lookinland, Set Builder and Co-Host of the upcoming We Know Jack Podcast:  Pat Sweeney talked to us in detail about that shot on the podcast. We will let you know when that episode is released. Probably in May. We Know Jack Show podcast - coming soon

Kat Alioshin, Asst Production Coordinator and Co-Host of the We Know Jack Podcast: It was Pat Sweeney! He talked about it on the We Know Jack podcast! and Matt White. Deane Taylor built a textured shield around it so other parts of set weren't seen

Animator Mike Belzer: It's funny that shot keeps coming up. I wish I had taken a picture at least of the set. Honestly, at the time, it seemed like one of those "nothing burger" (Buck-isum) shots.. Norm had sculpted a beautiful "hero" hand for it because it was going to be as big as a house on the screen. So it was a beautiful pro-poxy DeCarlo special hand. It was impressive how Pat and Matt did the lighting as it all had to be hidden. It was essentially a big tube, as I recall, that had the camera lens poking through a tree in the forest. 
We couldn't have the reflection of the camera in the shot. (See picture... I think where my arrow points to is the camera lens) Biggest pain was crawling in and out checking the grabber and such. Obviously the big challenge of keeping is buttery smooth since it was so big without stop mo pops happening. I couldn't glue the hand so it was all frame grabbing fun getting the turning hand and knob working together. I think the shot only took a day.... and that's about all I remember.

That is awesome! I think I get it now.
Thank you Anthony, I'll be on the look out for We Know Jack Podcast, cheers!!! :)

Pat Sweeney discusses how this scene was accomplished on the We Know Jack Show. Listen here: https://www.weknowjackshow.com/sweeney

Very informative podcast about one of my favortie movies. Thank you very much Anthony Scott

I've listened to it, great insight in to all the things you have to solve in production, it's very interesting to hear! Thank you!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Website News & Tips

STOPMO JAM 3
This time, the theme is HALLOWEEN. All entries must be submitted by September 18, 2021. More info here.

NEW MEMBERS
If you are new to the site, please feel free to introduce yourself on 
this Message Board thread.

MY PAGE
Y
ou can now customize your personal page. Go to My Page/Customize My Page.

PRIVACY
To control who sees your posts and Profile Page, go to Settings/Privacy.

MESSAGE BOARD & BLOG POSTS
If you have a question for the community, it is best to post your question on the Message Board instead of a Blog. Blogs are best for featuring your stop motion projects.

VIDEO
When posting a video, if possible, use the Embed Code instead of the URL. Your video will be a larger, more viewable size.

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

If you have a question or are looking for answers, you'll find a wealth of information here on the Message Board.

BEGINNERS a good place to start
ANIMATOR TALK experienced animators
YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT what r u working on?
STORY script, storyboarding and storyreel
ANIMATION TOOLS
 what's a surface gage?
STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS Dragonframe and VFX
CAMERA & STAGE camera, lighting and moco rigs
SOUND lip-sync, sound effects and music 
ARMATURES ball & socket and wire 
MACHINE SHOP metalwork tool & talk 
SCULPTING sculpture information and advice 
HAIR & COSTUME materials and technique 
CASTING
 foam, silicone and resin 
CLAY clay puppet construction 
GENERAL PUPPET MAKING 
other puppet fab issues
STOP MOTION SETS set design and construction
MODEL DEPARTMENT
 miniature prop discussion

and even more...
MATTE PAINTINGS
GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS 
STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION 
FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS
PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION
FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS 
ANIMATION SCHOOLS 
STOP MOTION BOOKS 
STOP MOTION ON VIDEO 
WORK OPPORTUNITIES

FOR SALE 
CHAT BOARD 

WEBSITE NEWS AND FEEDBACK

SMA.com on YouTube

New NMBC Book!

© 2021   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}