I have added the lines and scars from my own hands in ink and was wondering if anyone knows of a good way to soften the lines as I would like to blend them a little more. I am toying with the idea of using a very diluted ink wash to go around the lines with but the ink seems to soak in quite quickly and it seems like there is no going back once too much is applied. Does anyone know a good method to blend lines. Maybe a diluted wash of green over top or a few sepia washes? 

Any help is much appreciated. I also want to say a big "Thank You" to stopmoNick for his superb tutorials. These hands were literally made by (and while) watching Nick's videos on youtube and are my first ever latex creation.

Cheers,

Tim

Views: 596

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thank you. It looks like the ink will be durable enough for animation(no rubbing this stuff off because it appears to actually sink into the latex and stain it) but it does look like if there is a huge difference between the base colour and the highlighting colour, then as the latex breaks down and cracks the cracks would be extra visible. I only have mixed with water so far to dilute and it has been working great.

Ok, this is a really good new, I'll try ink. Acrylic and indian ink, you said.  Thank you very much.   

Ps: They will not break. 

Thank you, Tedco! Good to know.

you can try mixing the inks with the other paint but I love the look of these as is like other have said! nice graphic look to them. Also you can mix a small amount of color in you latex base to seal what you have and soften the painted line maybe

Thanks Greyguy, with so many positive comments about the way they look already I am seriously considering matching this style on the head that goes with these hands. My only concern about adding more latex to these hands is that the latex on the fingers will get too thick to hold poses. I will definitely try inking the lines and then adding one more topcoat so the lines will be just visible on the next pair though, thank you.

thin down the latex if you think it will add to much.

Always do a test before when in doubt. Don't mess up these already cool looking hands

:)

Ha ha thanks :) I have been thinning down the latex to dip but was wondering if there was a threshold (mix ratio) that you can not dilute past? I did do one test thinning to see if I could make a mix super runny almost like a wash, requiring tons of dips, but still building up bit by bit. My test mix was so thin it initially covered in a thin film perfectly but did not bond with the layer underneath as it dried leaving it almost as though it was a paint job that slowly rubs off. 

Cheers

Reply to Discussion

RSS

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

STOPMO NEWBIES
basic stopmo discussion

ANIMATOR TALK
experienced animators looking to improve

CAMERA & STAGE
animation camera, lighting and moco rigs

ANIMATION TOOLS & EQUIPMENT
animation tool and rigging discussion

STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS
frame capture, editing, and post-production

STORY
script, storyboarding and storyreel discussion

SOUND
lip-sync, sound effects and music

YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT
discuss your stopmo film

ARMATURES
ball & socket and wire armature discussion

MACHINE SHOP
metalwork tool & talk

SCULPTING
sculpture information and advice

HAIR & COSTUME
materials, patterns and technique

CASTING
foam, silicone and resin

CLAY
clay puppet construction

GENERAL PUPPET MAKING
other puppet fabrication issues

STOP MOTION SETS
set design and construction information

MODEL DEPARTMENT
miniature prop discussion

MATTE PAINTINGS
glass matte paintings and backgrounds

GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS

STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION

FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS

PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION

FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS

ANIMATION SCHOOLS

STOP MOTION BOOKS

STOP MOTION ON VIDEO

JOBS & PROJECTS
post here if you are looking for talent to hire

SWAP MEET
stop motion items for sale

CHAT BOARD
general discussion

SITE FEEDBACK
report bugs, comments and suggestions here

Latest Activity

Integral investigator replied to Michael Hearst's discussion Looking for animator for short song(s).
"Looking for a ""> private investigator in Sydney? Integral Investigations has been…"
6 hours ago
Integral investigator replied to Michael Hearst's discussion Looking for animator for short song(s).
"Looking for a "">private investigator in Sydney? Integral Investigations has been…"
6 hours ago
StopmoNick replied to Evan's discussion Reccomend a camera for 11yr old lego brick film enthusiastic beginner
"Cheapest is to use a smartphone or tablet with a good camera that you already have.  Use it…"
8 hours ago
Evan posted a discussion

Reccomend a camera for 11yr old lego brick film enthusiastic beginner

My son has been really enjoying making brick films using a webcam for a few months now and is keen…See More
yesterday

© 2020   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}