StopMotionAnimation.com

taking one frame at a time since 1999

I'm going to be doing some travelling for an extended period. Techwise I'll have my ipad mini in tow. Given the massive compromise in this hardware, can anyone offer an opinion on stop motion apps I might want along for the ride should inspiration and time permit? I have imotion HD but have recently discovered istopmotion for ipad which allows importing of audio with view able waveforms over the timeline. It also apparently supports 1080p. I recognize this will not be anything resembling a pro set up but I've never let limitations in tech inhibit my artistic expression in the past and want to leave as many doors open as I can. Any thoughts on this sort of thing? Thanks.

Views: 300

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have an app on my Ipad, but have never used it... just have to check what it is called.  It was free so what the heck.

Ok, it seems to be called Stop Motion Studio.  The icon is a clapper board with a a "mickey mouse ears" magazine type film camera shape in the black slate area, in rainbow colours.  Underneath it just says Stop Motion. I also seem to have installed iMotion HD, but I don't think I've ever opened it.

There are several drawbacks with the iPad -

*The camera keeps shifting in and out of focus, as focus and exposure are automatic.

*To do anything on an iPad you have to touch the screen, which bumps it.

*There is no tripod mount.  Although you could make up a frame to hold it, probably.

Actually it couldn't be further from what a stop motion camera should be - for traditional stop motion of puppets in miniature sets.  But if you wanted to just snap off frames as you walk around the streets, or pixilate some friends sliding around on their asses, and you didn't mind if it jerked around and the light flickered, it could work for that kind of thing.

I do have one other app, not for shooting with the iPad, but for timing an action.  It's called Motion Timer.  You move the iPad, like you were swinging a bat or hammering a nail, and it uses motion sensing to show you how many frames the action took at your chosen frame rate.  Then you go ahead and animate and shoot it with your proper camera.

Thanks Nick, all your points are well taken. That said, I think I found a candidate. It's called istopmotiion for ipad byBoinx software. Apparently, this app allows one to:

lock focus and white balance

Trigger "shutter release" with the button on the headphones or from a second device such as and iPhone or iPod

Shoot 30fps at 1080p

Import audio and view it's waveform on the timeline.

Considering the obvious hardware limitations of this whole thing, I think that's pretty sweet. When I'm killing time it may be just what the doctor ordered. It is $10 though and I'm generally cheap as hell. I'll report on my results.

(Iz scratching head trying to imagine hauling a set, puppets and lights along on the road for those sudden moments of inspiration)… 

I'm imagining hauling a couple lumps of clay and using a desk lamp maybe.

I'm not a professional but am a passionate hobbiest. I always try my best to put my free time into artistic pursuits whenever possible. For example, I'm also a musician. I don't restrict myself to only playing music when my full band and all my equipment is readily accessible. If I'm sitting at home after a couple brewskis and decide I want to play the blues I just pick up my ukulele and howl away. Sometimes limitations can be part of the fun.
Shutter release with the headphone button? Had no idea that was possible. It's sounding like it could actually work. Can you lock exposure as well as white balance and focus?
You need some kind of stand - my case has several positions it can hold the iPad at, but all of them are tilted up to some degree. I had thought of a wooden or metal frame that went around it, like a picture frame, and a threaded hole on the bottom that could either fit the screw on a tripod, or be screwed onto a flat base plate to hold it in a level upright position. But there may be existing devices already on the market. I might think about this some more. The mini is a lot lighter than my iPad 3 and wouldn't need as much to support it.
The iPad takes ok pictures when the light is right, but goes grainy and washed out if it's a bit too dark, and highlights burn out if the light is too bright with dark areas like on a sunny day with shadows.
I actually built a tripod mount pretty much as you described. It works pretty well. I'm going to modify it to function on a table top.
Apparently you can lock exposure as well. The iPad camera does leave something to be desired but I have had good results with the right lighting. I'm pretty excited to give this setup a test run.
If it's not out of line, here is the actual app:

http://boinx.com/istopmotion/ipad/

Oh, I totally understand! That was just the train of thought that went through my head when I first saw the thread title. I was all like "waitwat?" 

But I realized right away that wasn't what you meant.

Steve Walther said:

I'm imagining hauling a couple lumps of clay and using a desk lamp maybe.

I'm not a professional but am a passionate hobbiest. I always try my best to put my free time into artistic pursuits whenever possible. For example, I'm also a musician. I don't restrict myself to only playing music when my full band and all my equipment is readily accessible. If I'm sitting at home after a couple brewskis and decide I want to play the blues I just pick up my ukulele and howl away. Sometimes limitations can be part of the fun.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Website News & Tips

NEW MEMBERS

If you are new to the site, please feel free to introduce yourself on this Message Board thread.

MY PAGE
You can now customize your personal page. Go to My Page/Customize My Page.

PRIVACY
To control who sees your posts and Profile Page, go to Settings>Privacy.

MESSAGE BOARD & BLOG POSTS
If you have a question for the community, it is best to post your question on the Message Board instead of a Blog. Blogs are best for featuring your stop motion projects.

VIDEO
When posting a video, if possible, use the Embed Code instead of the URL. Your video will be a larger, more viewable size.

Stopmo Jam HALLOWEEN!

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

If you have a question or are looking for answers, you'll find a wealth of information here on the Message Board.

BEGINNERS a good place to start
ANIMATOR TALK experienced animators
YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT what r u working on?
STORY script, storyboarding and storyreel
ANIMATION TOOLS
 what's a surface gage?
STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS Dragonframe and VFX
CAMERA & STAGE camera, lighting and moco rigs
SOUND lip-sync, sound effects and music 
ARMATURES ball & socket and wire 
MACHINE SHOP metalwork tool & talk 
SCULPTING sculpture information and advice 
HAIR & COSTUME materials and technique 
CASTING
 foam, silicone and resin 
CLAY clay puppet construction 
GENERAL PUPPET MAKING 
other puppet fab issues
STOP MOTION SETS set design and construction
MODEL DEPARTMENT
 miniature prop discussion

and even more...
MATTE PAINTINGS
GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS 
STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION 
FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS
PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION
FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS 
ANIMATION SCHOOLS 
STOP MOTION BOOKS 
STOP MOTION ON VIDEO 
WORK OPPORTUNITIES

FOR SALE 
CHAT BOARD 

WEBSITE NEWS AND FEEDBACK

SMA.com on YouTube

New NMBC Book!

© 2021   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}