Low Humidity Compensation with Monster Makers Foam Latex

Hi all,

Can someone tell me how to compensate for low humidity when using Monster Makers' foam latex?  As I'm reading online, all I can see is that if you're in a high humidity environment, to use less gelling agent (if I'm remembering the instruction correctly).  The instructions from Monster Makers indicate they're assuming a 50% humidity level.  I'm in northern Nevada, where today the humidity is 9%, which is pretty typical for this area.

All the info I've found says that humidity has to be taken into account, especially with the gelling agent, but I can't find anything that tells me exactly how to compensate for the really low humidity I work/live in.  I've had some trouble with the foam collapsing, and while I'm not 100% sure that humidity is the issue, I figured I'd start there.  Thanks.

Views: 47

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Foam is a black art.  Here in southeast Michigan the humidity ranges from 30 in winter to yougottabekiddingme in summer.  I always use slightly less than recommended.

If you have enough kit materials, you might whip up a test batch.  Divide it into 2 to 4 parts just before you add gel, then add different gel amounts separately to each partial batch and see how fast each sets up.  This will only be a rough estimate based on how accurately you can cut a batch into smaller parts plus how accurate you are at measuring gel amounts of 5 grams or less.  But it might give you some clues.

Thanks, Dave, I appreciate the suggestion.  That's a great idea to divide it.  I did discover that our thin air does require me to whip it longer.  Fortunately I bought an inexpensive gram scale at Harbor Freight which seems to work great in measuring.  Thanks again.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

STOPMO NEWBIES
basic stopmo discussion

ANIMATOR TALK
experienced animators looking to improve

CAMERA & STAGE
animation camera, lighting and moco rigs

ANIMATION TOOLS & EQUIPMENT
animation tool and rigging discussion

STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS
frame capture, editing, and post-production

STORY
script, storyboarding and storyreel discussion

SOUND
lip-sync, sound effects and music

YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT
discuss your stopmo film

ARMATURES
ball & socket and wire armature discussion

MACHINE SHOP
metalwork tool & talk

SCULPTING
sculpture information and advice

HAIR & COSTUME
materials, patterns and technique

CASTING
foam, silicone and resin

CLAY
clay puppet construction

GENERAL PUPPET MAKING
other puppet fabrication issues

STOP MOTION SETS
set design and construction information

MODEL DEPARTMENT
miniature prop discussion

MATTE PAINTINGS
glass matte paintings and backgrounds

GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS

STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION

FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS

PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION

FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS

ANIMATION SCHOOLS

STOP MOTION BOOKS

STOP MOTION ON VIDEO

JOBS & PROJECTS
post here if you are looking for talent to hire

SWAP MEET
stop motion items for sale

CHAT BOARD
general discussion

SITE FEEDBACK
report bugs, comments and suggestions here

Latest Activity

shopwigs posted a blog post

Argon oil to thoroughly hydrate the hair

It is important to follow the instructions carefully and avoid scrubbing the area with harsh soaps.…See More
10 hours ago
StopmoNick replied to Savannah Winchester's discussion Puppet Clothing Continuity - How can I keep clothes from moving?
"You can get aluminium flashing, which is similar to lead without the health issues.  I…"
10 hours ago
Zed S. replied to Savannah Winchester's discussion Puppet Clothing Continuity - How can I keep clothes from moving?
"Hey there, just shinning in my two cents. im also working on a stop motion project, currently in…"
14 hours ago
wangrui posted a blog post

This was clearly one of largest improvements that NBA 2K came up

The last time it was perfect. NBA 2K16 is possibly the biggest NBA 2K game ever for …See More
yesterday

© 2020   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}