StopMotionAnimation.com

taking one frame at a time since 1999

Thought I'd post a shot of my new sculpt. I will get a newer shot up this week. After some feedback from Bill Stout, I am changing the very heavy spine texture, and taking the heavier thigh scales, which were only the roughest indication, out of there.

I had thought that based on Knight's agathaumus that heavier textures might be an acceptable interpretation. However, I am going more with the heavy wrinkled skin with some scales.

Best,

Rick

Views: 950

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well, I actually only had a couple tools with me when I did this, and no rakes. I just used a bit of plastic wrap to soften the indenting as I tried to cut in main wrinkles, then added the lighter wrinkles that break across the main pattern. I also used a rubber tool to just edge in a bit for some smaller indents or pushing some shapes a little more. Then I went back and varied the depth a little based on what I thought seemed natural. After that added some additional skinfolds where the leg joins the body. (you will see that when I shoot some more shots when I go back in tomorrow evening.

Here's the updated photos....mainly reworked the heavier scales out of there, and worked a bit to start matching the opposite side. With the term ending, and much grading to do, and a few vacation days, I may not get back to working on this right away. But I plan to finish it and perhaps sells casts of it.

You mean it is'nt finished yet?It looks fantastic as is!I am ashamed of my sculpting skills in comparission.I need to play with clay more.

......well here's the other side....

Rick,is this a project for yourself,a client or are you sculpting this to make resin casts and a kit from?Just curious.

It's just for me.....I was demonstrating how to make a maquette for an animal anatomy class.....and I would like to make some casts and hopefully sell them.....

I think dino fans would definately "buy".What's the scale/how big is it if you don't mind me asking?It reminds me of a Haryhausen dinosaur from....1 Million years B.C.

that texture looks awesome 

Thanks. He's about 11" long.

A proper Monoclonius. Everyone gets better results with Sculpy than I do.  Very cool!

I have sculpted a characters body using super sculpey with a couple areas that ended up being half an inch thick. I still need to bake it and I was wondering how do you know when the super ssculpey has been baking long enough? Sorry, I am pretty new at this and have sculpted a few characters, but have not baked them yet.

Hi John- Thanks!  and I've seen your sculpts, so I have no idea what you mean...

Corey- Well, I do about an hour at 100 degrees if memory serves me correctly. It will always feel a bit soft while it is warm, so you have to let it cool to see how hard it really is.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Website News & Tips

NEW MEMBERS

If you are new to the site, please feel free to introduce yourself on this Message Board thread.

MY PAGE
You can now customize your personal page. Go to My Page/Customize My Page.

PRIVACY
To control who sees your posts and Profile Page, go to Settings/Privacy.

MESSAGE BOARD & BLOG POSTS
If you have a question for the community, it is best to post your question on the Message Board instead of a Blog. Blogs are best for featuring your stop motion projects.

VIDEO
When posting a video, if possible, use the Embed Code instead of the URL. Your video will be a larger, more viewable size.

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

If you have a question or are looking for answers, you'll find a wealth of information here on the Message Board.

BEGINNERS a good place to start
ANIMATOR TALK experienced animators
YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT what r u working on?
STORY script, storyboarding and storyreel
ANIMATION TOOLS
 what's a surface gage?
STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS Dragonframe and VFX
CAMERA & STAGE camera, lighting and moco rigs
SOUND lip-sync, sound effects and music 
ARMATURES ball & socket and wire 
MACHINE SHOP metalwork tool & talk 
SCULPTING sculpture information and advice 
HAIR & COSTUME materials and technique 
CASTING
 foam, silicone and resin 
CLAY clay puppet construction 
GENERAL PUPPET MAKING 
other puppet fab issues
STOP MOTION SETS set design and construction
MODEL DEPARTMENT
 miniature prop discussion

and even more...
MATTE PAINTINGS
GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS 
STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION 
FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS
PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION
FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS 
ANIMATION SCHOOLS 
STOP MOTION BOOKS 
STOP MOTION ON VIDEO 
WORK OPPORTUNITIES

FOR SALE 
CHAT BOARD 

WEBSITE NEWS AND FEEDBACK

SMA.com on YouTube

New NMBC Book!

© 2021   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}