Trying to find a simple way to animate the surface of a lake that will allow me to focus on animating two characters rowing a boat across it. I am not overly concerned with realism and will accept something a bit cartoony.

The attached clip shows a brief test I did this afternoon using plastic wrap over a blue painted table top. With a bit of practice this might do the trick, but was wondering if there were any better ideas out there.

Views: 279

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Massive frothy wave... all it needs is some Beach Boys music!

Nearly missed this thread! Really interesting to see what you are doing, as I have a lake to animate sometime. I liked the slats with the uneven front edge - perhaps moving it slightly sideways would also help to make the wave look less rigid?

One idea I came across was to make waves using clear perspex rods with some sparkly material on them, then rotate them to make the waves move. But I also like your plastic sheet as it makes the surface continuous.

A film called 'Two Balloons' had an intruiguing BTS video, which I think was originally longer and showed more of the mechanism. Anyway the link is here, and their effect of ocean swells is fantastic.https://www.twoballoons.film/featurettes

Perhaps not quite the thing for a lake, though!

The other thing that keeps me thinking late at night is the possibility of mechanising the process with a stepper motor (or even just a plain motor turning steadily) to give the continuous effect. Then it would need a belt or perhaps the eccentric system used in 2 balloons - where they presumably realised that if you had e.g. slats on a belt you need to carry it round under the set and/or keep replacing slats from the front to the back.

Anyway, do keep reporting on progress. It is looking really good!

Thanks for the link, Simon! Interesting ideas. I am at work now on the puppets and other scenic elements, but will post results at the next stage of development.

Rowboat Test 4

A few new additions: I added foam insulation to the remaining two slats and carved them into waves. Much easier (and lighter) to work with. Then added some dark blue paint and blended it with existing light blue paint on the table top and the waves. Finally, I used this as a lighting test and added a couple of lights to better cover the scene.

The animation still has some bugs to work out, but then that's what tests are for!

Good to hear you are still progressing! 

I having trouble embedding the video, so will try again:

The general effect looks beautiful!  I do see some pops - is that the board catching and not moving evenly, or is it something the plastic film does, however smooth the movement underneath?  Or just some stop-starting in this test?

Those irregular edges with lighter coloured paint look like a bit of foam on the edge of the wave, very nice!  Even though, I presume, they are under the surface.

The biggest pops are due to adding the slats to the back. They stand too high so I've now added downward curved extensions at the rear of the table. The slats should now come up from below and gradually appear.

Others are operator error - I sometimes lose track of which mark the lead slat should be at. The two belts are almost 6 feet apart so I move them independently.  However, moving one end of a slat causes the other end to move at an angle, sometimes as much as an inch or so. I'm thinking of pinning the lead slat to the table. The rest seem to follow without problems.

One other problem is air gets under the plastic sheet and tsunamis begin to form. I don't always remember to pat them back down. I suppose that's a good reason to practice, practice practice!

The "foam" was a happy accident, but looks nice. It is under the sheet. My thought was to add some cling wrap on top as the waves approached the camera to simulate foam. I may still try that.

Getting to be really nice looking.

One comment, although you are probably not concentrating on the boat at the moment. It should rock from side to side once the wave goes under it, and should generally have some movement to suggest floating. Once the wave passes underneath it, it seems to sit rather flat. 

But the wave effect is terrific. Only thing is didn't you say this was supposed o be a lake?! It is definitely a beach now. I would think for a lake the ripples and swells would need to be smaller and not breaking.

Thanks for sharing this.

Story ideas are changing - a beach on a deserted island will make for a better gag. Initially I thought a rather still lake would be easier to animate, so I adapted the story. Now I'm un-adapting it. But this is still too much wave action for the scene I have in mind. I'm trying to change one element at a time in the tests so I can evaluate the results, so I'll get there eventually.

You got fooled by an illusion - the waves don't actually break. They are just more lightly colored in places. But maybe that's what the eye expects to see? Thanks for your comments!

Then it is looking really really good!

I suppose you could always make the boat larger rather than reducing the size of the waves....

Reply to Discussion

RSS

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

STOPMO NEWBIES
basic stopmo discussion

ANIMATOR TALK
experienced animators looking to improve

CAMERA & STAGE
animation camera, lighting and moco rigs

ANIMATION TOOLS & EQUIPMENT
animation tool and rigging discussion

STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS
frame capture, editing, and post-production

STORY
script, storyboarding and storyreel discussion

SOUND
lip-sync, sound effects and music

YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT
discuss your stopmo film

ARMATURES
ball & socket and wire armature discussion

MACHINE SHOP
metalwork tool & talk

SCULPTING
sculpture information and advice

HAIR & COSTUME
materials, patterns and technique

CASTING
foam, silicone and resin

CLAY
clay puppet construction

GENERAL PUPPET MAKING
other puppet fabrication issues

STOP MOTION SETS
set design and construction information

MODEL DEPARTMENT
miniature prop discussion

MATTE PAINTINGS
glass matte paintings and backgrounds

GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS

STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION

FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS

PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION

FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS

ANIMATION SCHOOLS

STOP MOTION BOOKS

STOP MOTION ON VIDEO

JOBS & PROJECTS
post here if you are looking for talent to hire

SWAP MEET
stop motion items for sale

CHAT BOARD
general discussion

SITE FEEDBACK
report bugs, comments and suggestions here

Latest Activity

Zed S. replied to Zed S.'s discussion Best Mold material for Silicone Cast?
"Thanks for this great info! I was in contact with a guy in Chicago that sells and specialize these…"
18 hours ago
Reyna Miller posted a discussion

Trying to find a reliable writing service?

Writing an essay is not like a piece of cake for everybody. Not all learners have a writing talent…See More
20 hours ago
StopmoNick replied to madrobot's discussion What image size do you import from camera?
"Correction - I export from AE at 3840 wide x 2560, because it is still a 3x2 ratio.  I crop to…"
yesterday
StopmoNick replied to madrobot's discussion What image size do you import from camera?
"I normally set the image size in the camera to Large, the full size, which would be the native…"
yesterday

© 2020   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}