StopMotionAnimation.com

taking one frame at a time since 1999

Hi all
I am making my first puppet and have good luck with the head so far.
But I have no found any videos on how to do eyelids for silicone puppets.

I imagine they are not part of the total head casting but dont know how to get blinking eyes with the cast head.

I appreciate any advice.

Thank you
Sean

Views: 652

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think the most commonly used and easiest technique for eyelids is the replacement method, where you make a bunch of lids at different points of open-ness and swap in each one when necessary. You could sculpt them out of polymer clay or similar. I have experimented in the past with trying to use wire and thin sheets of stretchy stuff to have the eyelid built into the puppet, but it seems to always end up too bulky, and it stretches weirdly when closed and/or bunches up and wrinkles when open. I'm not the most experienced animator though, so maybe someone else will have ideas for you. Good luck!

I've animated on someone else's film (Butterflies by Isabel Peppard) where she made replacement eyelids in silicone, complete with eyelashes.   A dab of petroleum jelly is used to stick the eyelid onto the eyeball.  There were very slightly closed upper lids, half closed lids, maybe 3/4 closed lids, and fully closed lids.

This shot has the girl with the slightly-closed lids on:

On my puppets I mostly use a bit of flesh coloured clay to make the replacement lids, or else do the eye blinks in post production.  The silicone lids are better, but its really easy to lose one if they are for smaller eyes.  

Another method I've used for foam latex, but not so far with silicone, is to have thin shells that fit between the rubber eye socket and the eyeball.  They normally slide up so they are mostly inside, but can slide down to close the eye.  Cosgrove Hall used metal shells for Mr Toad in their Wind In The Willows series in the 80s, that's where I got the idea, but mine were vac formed styrene sheet.  Some weren't done with an actual vac former, I had a sphere the same size as the eyeball glued to a block of wood,  without 1/4 of it sunk into a hole in the wood.  I heated the styrene sheet over a bar heater then pushed it over the sphere with a piece of tube that was a little bigger than the sphere.  It stretched over the sphere and cooled.  I trimmed off the excess, built up the edge of the eyelid with a bit of epoxy glue, then painted it.  There was an upper and a lower lid.  This hatchling has the styrene shell lids in the almost-closed position:

Monica andStopMoNick 

Thank you both for taking time to respond. 

I am happy to hear I was not missing something obvious - it is clearly some additional work to do the eyelids - it is stop motion after all.

Thanks for the ideas - I now have a path forward and will get to work.

Sean

And don't forget the option of doing them in post. A lot less fiddly!

Simon, and others

Do you know of any videos you can point me to that had the blinks added in post?

I would like to see what this looks like.

Thank you

Sean

Hi Sean

This video that I did before Christmas had blinks done in post:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0LT60lJ628&t=9s

I mostly only did the one eye as the other was in deep shadow. It was done in Photoshop.

Simon

Thank you for pointing me to your video. I enjoyed watching it and seeing the "post-blinks" was very helpful

Sean

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Website News & Tips

NEW MEMBERS

If you are new to the site, please feel free to introduce yourself on this Message Board thread.

MY PAGE
You can now customize your personal page. Go to My Page/Customize My Page.

PRIVACY
To control who sees your posts and Profile Page, go to Settings/Privacy.

MESSAGE BOARD & BLOG POSTS
If you have a question for the community, it is best to post your question on the Message Board instead of a Blog. Blogs are best for featuring your stop motion projects.

VIDEO
When posting a video, if possible, use the Embed Code instead of the URL. Your video will be a larger, more viewable size.

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

If you have a question or are looking for answers, you'll find a wealth of information here on the Message Board.

BEGINNERS a good place to start
ANIMATOR TALK experienced animators
YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT what r u working on?
STORY script, storyboarding and storyreel
ANIMATION TOOLS
 what's a surface gage?
STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS Dragonframe and VFX
CAMERA & STAGE camera, lighting and moco rigs
SOUND lip-sync, sound effects and music 
ARMATURES ball & socket and wire 
MACHINE SHOP metalwork tool & talk 
SCULPTING sculpture information and advice 
HAIR & COSTUME materials and technique 
CASTING
 foam, silicone and resin 
CLAY clay puppet construction 
GENERAL PUPPET MAKING 
other puppet fab issues
STOP MOTION SETS set design and construction
MODEL DEPARTMENT
 miniature prop discussion

and even more...
MATTE PAINTINGS
GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS 
STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION 
FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS
PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION
FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS 
ANIMATION SCHOOLS 
STOP MOTION BOOKS 
STOP MOTION ON VIDEO 
WORK OPPORTUNITIES

FOR SALE 
CHAT BOARD 

WEBSITE NEWS AND FEEDBACK

SMA.com on YouTube

New NMBC Book!

© 2021   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}