Im new here and this is my first post so be gentle =3. Im looking to do a simple, 1-3 min (roughly) stop motion "exercise" just to see what I can do. I've made the storyboard, am attempting an anamatic and I am almost ready to start making the real thing but I've come across a few problems with making the puppet.
First up, Ive ordered a bunch of stainless steel balls and rods and feel fairly confident with creating my own armature. the other thing I need to mention is that I only want to make replaceable hands and a head out of silicone. moving on.
I went out to buy the materials for sculpting, moulding and casting the puppet at Barnes in Australia and ended up buying Monster clay for the sculpting and some soft Chavant clay + Ultracal for the mould making process but I had some issues with the casting. First off i checked out the platsil gel-10 and gel-00 which I always planed to make the puppet from but the test slab that they had seemed very porous compared to what i had seen online, I was just wondering if that was due to people messing around with it or will smooth sculpts come out porous with platsil. Then i went and checked out the pigments which would have ended up costing more than the silicone itself and was a tad bit confused on what to do. So i started talking to the shop owner and he suggested using this stuff http://www.barnes.com.au/polyurethane/f15-1323. It was cheaper than the silicone and so were the pigments for it but I was wondering if it would be to stiff for a puppet and also how hard it would be to pigment it seeing that it was already tinted "light amber".
Thanks in advance and look forward to a whole bunch more questions =3.
I was actually going to use Ron Coles guide to make my puppet head (http://s275.photobucket.com/user/IsomerW/library/cable%20tutorial?s...) but i was going to use a mechanism similar to the one in your Macro Pollo and the Synchronic Articulator vid instead of cables. Heres the picture I was working off for the head mechanism http://payload.cargocollective.com/1/4/158282/2144926/mech.jpg. Sadly i live in Sydney but I'm going on holidays to Melbourne soon =3. As for the material, I'm probably going to see if i can get a smaller sample of the Polyurethane, if not, ill just save up and stick to silicone. Honestly, I was just wondering if anyone had tried it because it seems far cheaper than silicone.
If it is a bigger head with a hollow skin, then the urethane might well work.
I've only done that approach for larger scale - human head size or half size - animatronic type things, not for stop motion. I used to just use slush cast liquid latex skin, and sculpt in wrinkles that helped the latex bend in the right places. Then I did a couple in foam latex, using a mould with a core like in Ron's tutorial.
The old Cosgrove Hall Wind in the Willows puppets used hollow foam latex heads cast in a core mould, because they needed to be able to replace the skins as they started to show wear. I helped out casting puppet heads when they did a foam run while I was visiting (long time ago) so I saw exactly how it worked. There were little shapes in the core to create hollows in the inside of the skin where the paddles would fit - they got a drop of glue to secure them but they already fitted into the right spot.