Here's where I'm at with the sculpture for my studio scale replica puppet of Talos..... still tweaking proportions and have just started adding some texturing details..... more to come

Views: 2288

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That looks like a clay sculpt. Would that have been done by Wah Chang? Even this one looks better than the one featured in the film.
StopmoNick said:

I see the 2 headed Gargantua on the wall, but please not that one!     Unless you redesigned it to become the puppet it should have been.  ( Like Jim Danforth's version.)

Please take this as constructive criticism, I just thought I would give some thoughts that might make your sculpture even better.  I notice that the shoulders are not symmetrical...the right shoulder is very soft and blends into the body quite a bit while the left shoulder juts up and is more defined and protruding.  From the pictures I was looking at on the internet, I think that the left shoulder should be softened a bit and the right defined a bit more.  I think that would improve upon your already excellent sculpt.  My other thought is that the head seems just a bit small for the body.  Maybe it is just the way it looks in the photos but it just feels a bit small.  I don't mean to be mister art critic here, just trying to give an opinion from another set of eyes.  Good luck with your sculpt.

I understand your critiques but I'm literally trying to clone Ray's original sculpture as closely as possible and if you look at the film and photos of the original puppet (especially the front and back profiles) you'll see that's how Ray sculpted it. That's not all that is asymmetrical with the original Talos sculpt, the rib cage differs a bit from left to right sides and the entire leg musculature is very different on both legs, even the ear guards on the helmet are off kilter by quite a bit looking at the front view of it. I've taken all measurements directly from the Talos segments of the film and have scaled them to the 17" studio scale that I'm working in. That was one thing about Ray's creature sculpts.... they were seldom symmetrical.

The head is in a reasonable human proportion when you add up how many heads tall he is. It looks like around 7 heads tall to me.  If it seems small it is mostly because of the very wide shoulders, but that's how Ray made it.  

Looking at images on the web, there is what looks like a cast bronze figure with a bigger head.  He may have modified it from the original puppet sculpt.  With the actual puppet it's harder to tell since it isn't usually standing front-on. 

That bronze casting was a completely new sculpt that Ray did when he was making bronze versions of some of his most popular characters, he did the same thing with the Cyclops and Rhedosaurus but they all look different from the original puppets. There are 2 scenes in the film where you get a really good straight, front on view.

Out of curiosity how much does the armature weigh?

I never weighed it before starting the sculpt but it probably weighs just a little over a pound at most

Whoa only that!! How tall is it? Thats crazy that its that light.

The armature is studio scale to the original puppet which is 17" tall, and yeah it might weigh more between a pound and a half to two pounds but that's it..... it's mostly made of aluminum

Thats alot bigger than I thought, lol I always take for granted how little aluminum actually weighs.

The finished sculpture ready for plaster

Awesome!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

STOPMO NEWBIES
basic stopmo discussion

ANIMATOR TALK
experienced animators looking to improve

CAMERA & STAGE
animation camera, lighting and moco rigs

ANIMATION TOOLS & EQUIPMENT
animation tool and rigging discussion

STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS
frame capture, editing, and post-production

STORY
script, storyboarding and storyreel discussion

SOUND
lip-sync, sound effects and music

YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT
discuss your stopmo film

ARMATURES
ball & socket and wire armature discussion

MACHINE SHOP
metalwork tool & talk

SCULPTING
sculpture information and advice

HAIR & COSTUME
materials, patterns and technique

CASTING
foam, silicone and resin

CLAY
clay puppet construction

GENERAL PUPPET MAKING
other puppet fabrication issues

STOP MOTION SETS
set design and construction information

MODEL DEPARTMENT
miniature prop discussion

MATTE PAINTINGS
glass matte paintings and backgrounds

GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS

STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION

FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS

PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION

FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS

ANIMATION SCHOOLS

STOP MOTION BOOKS

STOP MOTION ON VIDEO

JOBS & PROJECTS
post here if you are looking for talent to hire

SWAP MEET
stop motion items for sale

CHAT BOARD
general discussion

SITE FEEDBACK
report bugs, comments and suggestions here

Latest Activity

Evan DeRushie replied to Miguel Angel "Chiyu" Helu's discussion Missing sound - export via After Effects
"Dragonframe doesn't attach audio to your RAW frames. It can only attach your audio when you…"
13 hours ago
Janine replied to Herb Fabits's discussion Stop Motion build up Puppet Tutorial
"Hi, thank you for sharing your knowledge. I have watched the tutorial and I must say that you did a…"
16 hours ago
Hannah Thomas posted blog posts
22 hours ago
StopmoNick replied to Miguel Angel "Chiyu" Helu's discussion Missing sound - export via After Effects
"The sound is only there in Dragonframe to help you animate.   I don't think it attaches…"
23 hours ago

the inventor

© 2020   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}