StopMotionAnimation.com

taking one frame at a time since 1999

Hello everyone, I was wondering if any of you fabulous folks out there might have any cool tricks for seaming silicone. I have tried a variety of methods and applicators and thought it would be cool to create a puppet seaming thread. It seems like a good portion of the work involved in seaming can be minimized by intense concentration and careful trimming. Are these tiny beautician scissors the best method to remove excess silicone? 

Trimmed hands below still need the seam line and trim marks blended in. Now comes the "how do I apply the small batch silicone to the seam to blend it realistically" part.

I have had some success applying with a tiny paintbrush but more with sponge dabbing very tiny amounts as sparingly as possible. I have found that holding or moving the piece at whatever angle allows gravity to pull the wet silicone into the desired shape. This seems to really help fill in rough spots but is a bit tricky because sometimes you have to hold your piece until dry but applied heat can speed it up a bit. Does anyone have a better way to approach this?

Views: 1777

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

you can grind silicone but I have not done it myself

But a dremel with a bit of foam or buffing wheel with alcohol is the process I think

Yeah, that sounds similar to what I heard long ago (never tried it) - dremel with grinding stone, with ice water or alcohol. It'll spray everywhere, so wear goggles and cover stuff.

Oh my bad!! I just read the OP and I see you weren't asking about trimming, but patching up, Sorry I don't know much about that. I do know that you can mix up a batch and add small portions of it to the puppet and put it in a warm oven (150 - 200 degrees f I think, need to check on that) and it will speed the cure time considerably, have it done in 20 minutes. That way you can do repeated patches from the same batch before it all starts to set up. Let's see, trying to remember what I heard form ToxicPapa about it. I believe he said to mix up a batch of part A of the silicone (whichever part you put the color in) and keep that on had so you're using the exact same tint for patches that you made the puppet with in the first place. Heck, I ought to just consult my blog where I pasted all his advice in for posterity. Be back in a minute.

Here are all the posts on my blog where I mentioned silicone:

http://darkmattr.blogspot.com/search?q=silicone

I scanned through it but haven't found anything specific yet. You might be more motivated to find it than I am, so feel free. Lots of other good advice from Pat Zung and Tom Laughlin as well. 

EDIT:

Did a little more reading - it's a 150 degree oven, you might need to crack the door open to achieve that temp. Also, while I do remember ToxicPapa talking about dremeling the seams with icewater or alcohol, he also recommends using wet/dry sandpaper with the same liquids. 

Awesome, thanks so much Greyguy, James and Strider. Mike, I have been totally missing your input over the last few months, awesome stuff. So far I have been using tiny batches from leftovers of the master batch(part B tinted for item) I have been using a hair dryer but looking forward to trying the oven.

Got this info from Ralph Cordero

Use an upholstery foam (have to experiment what works best) cut a cylinder shape with a leather punch and add to a dremel tool arbor and grind with petrol jelly or soap as a lube and buff seam away

Very interesting, thanks very much. Is petrol jelly the tins used under chafing dishes and fondue pots? Cheers

Hi Petrol jelly is Vaseline.

Go to this video from Stopmotionmagazine, and at 26:25 you will see him demonstrating using 120grit on a Dremel sanding drum with vaseline to smooth seams on silicone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaLmik4irws

Haha of course, what A silly goose I was. Cheers Simon. Thanks for the info. P

Simon Tytherleigh said:

Hi Petrol jelly is Vaseline.

Go to this video from Stopmotionmagazine, and at 26:25 you will see him demonstrating using 120grit on a Dremel sanding drum with vaseline to smooth seams on silicone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaLmik4irws

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Website News & Tips

NEW MEMBERS

If you are new to the site, please feel free to introduce yourself on this Message Board thread.

MY PAGE
You can now customize your personal page. Go to My Page/Customize My Page.

PRIVACY
To control who sees your posts and Profile Page, go to Settings/Privacy.

MESSAGE BOARD & BLOG POSTS
If you have a question for the community, it is best to post your question on the Message Board instead of a Blog. Blogs are best for featuring your stop motion projects.

VIDEO
When posting a video, if possible, use the Embed Code instead of the URL. Your video will be a larger, more viewable size.

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

If you have a question or are looking for answers, you'll find a wealth of information here on the Message Board.

BEGINNERS a good place to start
ANIMATOR TALK experienced animators
YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT what r u working on?
STORY script, storyboarding and storyreel
ANIMATION TOOLS
 what's a surface gage?
STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS Dragonframe and VFX
CAMERA & STAGE camera, lighting and moco rigs
SOUND lip-sync, sound effects and music 
ARMATURES ball & socket and wire 
MACHINE SHOP metalwork tool & talk 
SCULPTING sculpture information and advice 
HAIR & COSTUME materials and technique 
CASTING
 foam, silicone and resin 
CLAY clay puppet construction 
GENERAL PUPPET MAKING 
other puppet fab issues
STOP MOTION SETS set design and construction
MODEL DEPARTMENT
 miniature prop discussion

and even more...
MATTE PAINTINGS
GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS 
STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION 
FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS
PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION
FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS 
ANIMATION SCHOOLS 
STOP MOTION BOOKS 
STOP MOTION ON VIDEO 
WORK OPPORTUNITIES

FOR SALE 
CHAT BOARD 

WEBSITE NEWS AND FEEDBACK

SMA.com on YouTube

New NMBC Book!

© 2021   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}