I need to make a head or buy one for my stop motion project, if you can give me  some tips, I would appreciate it, thanks

Views: 51

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Too many possible ways to go, need a better ride of what you want the head to look like, and what it has to be able to do.

What style - realistic, caricatured, cartoony, stylised, simplified?  

What does it need to do - mouth open and close, or not?  Eyes rotate?  Eyebrows move to suggest a change of expression?  Or have extreme changes of expression?

How big?   

Direct methods: Rigid heads can be sculpted from an epoxy putty like Aves Apoxie, mix 2 parts and sculpt into shape.  Or polymer clay like Super Sculpey or Fimo -  model the head, bake it to harden, and you have a finished head.  It can be very nicely modelled to look hyper-real, or any way you want it to look, people make amazing art does with this stuff. But will lack movement.  You can make the jaw separate, attached with armature wire, if you don't mind there being an obvious gap.  Or sometimes, if there are deep folds either side of the mouth, the gap can be concealed.  Or, replacement mouths  can also have the join hidden in the folds.  If it is  smooth face, you my need to smooth over the join with a matching coloured plasticine.  Sometimes, people make a hard head with the mouth area smooth, and stick a plasticine mouth on, which can be animated. (Often looks like a doughnut.) Or therein be a hollow space where different mouths can be fitted.  These days, different expressions can be designed on the computer and be 3d printed out, as they do at Laika.  The older method was to hand sculpt several different mouths, or whole faces, that can be put on the head, photographed, then taken off and the next replaceable part put on.

You can also do a direct build-up with soft urethane foam, carved with scissors, glued over armature wire, and that is flexible so it can have movement.  But it may look a bit rough, which may suit you if you want that look, or may not.  The control over the shapes and surface is not as good as with a modelling clay or Sculpey.

If it needs to look very well finished, but also have some movement, then you may want to sculpt the head from plasticine, make a plaster mould, then cast the head in silicone or foam latex.  But that involves more stages and more materials than a direct method where the stuff you sculpt is the actual puppet head you animate.

Very detailed and realistic heads in 1:6 scale are made for 12" tall action figures, and can be found on eBay.  The are hard plastic, so there is no mouth movement.  I made some bodies for  film where the puppets were all a realistic 1:6 scale, and I found the heads very small, and difficult for me to sculpt in that size using the plasticine I have.  A very hard plasticine would work better I think. My own puppets do sometimes use bought clothing in 1:6 but I make the heads bigger.

I have a couple of quick tutorials on Youtube, one showing a rough foam build-up head, the other a head cast in silicone with wire inside to move it. I wanted to at least be able to move the mouth when the character talks, for both of these. The Silicone head one shows a few different heads at the start, then goes through the process of sculpting, mould making, and casting.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fWdZnQRzB0&t=1s

Reply to Discussion

RSS

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

STOPMO NEWBIES
basic stopmo discussion

ANIMATOR TALK
experienced animators looking to improve

CAMERA & STAGE
animation camera, lighting and moco rigs

ANIMATION TOOLS & EQUIPMENT
animation tool and rigging discussion

STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS
frame capture, editing, and post-production

STORY
script, storyboarding and storyreel discussion

SOUND
lip-sync, sound effects and music

YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT
discuss your stopmo film

ARMATURES
ball & socket and wire armature discussion

MACHINE SHOP
metalwork tool & talk

SCULPTING
sculpture information and advice

HAIR & COSTUME
materials, patterns and technique

CASTING
foam, silicone and resin

CLAY
clay puppet construction

GENERAL PUPPET MAKING
other puppet fabrication issues

STOP MOTION SETS
set design and construction information

MODEL DEPARTMENT
miniature prop discussion

MATTE PAINTINGS
glass matte paintings and backgrounds

GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS

STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION

FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS

PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION

FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS

ANIMATION SCHOOLS

STOP MOTION BOOKS

STOP MOTION ON VIDEO

JOBS & PROJECTS
post here if you are looking for talent to hire

SWAP MEET
stop motion items for sale

CHAT BOARD
general discussion

SITE FEEDBACK
report bugs, comments and suggestions here

Latest Activity

Lillie Fischer replied to Anthony Scott's discussion Please Introduce Yourself
"Hello! My name is Lillie and I'm a new animator! I am working on my thesis film for my…"
2 hours ago
Lillie Fischer updated their profile
2 hours ago
Lillie Fischer posted photos
2 hours ago
Lillie Fischer replied to Michael Hearst's discussion Looking for animator for short song(s).
"I would love to discuss this with you. I'm building an independent production studio and…"
2 hours ago

© 2020   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}