Hi!
Im just starting to build some kind of re-usable "stage" for my upcoming stop motion masterpieces. Im probably going to get into the whole Moco question, with stepper motors and arduinos and sliders etc.
Right now I have a slider, mounted on tripods, a few good lights... and...
An old table that I think would make the basis for a good "stage".
Before I jump right in Id like to ask a fw very simple questions to save me the heartache of finding out the long way. Hope you guys can oblige with your experience.

1) What is a good working height? Currently the table is just 40cms high and I was thing to increase it to about 1m, or 90cms. Assuming I will be sitting here for many hours leaning in and out, what would be a good ergonomic hight?

2)I have variable colour on my lights, and I may get arty (probably actually) with gels etc, but would you normally shoot tungsten or daylight colour?

3)Assuming I only have a regular slider for left/right moves, Are there any cool ways to track in and out (In the old days I used to move the whole scene (on squared paper to time to moves) towards the camera, but that was completely wrong really as the lights didnt move, so shadows would move... I didn't notice it much then, but I do now. Im think of making sliders on each side of my table that the camera slider can move on... Is this a known way? How DO you do tracks?

Im sure there will be many more questions... but maybe...

Can I ask?
Can you guys share pics of your stages, if they seem relevant to what IM try to achieve.
Maybe I can make a "build series" ? so here's my starting place...

Views: 577

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

i skimmed through the whole video... what on earth was there in this video that related to the question I posted on this thread. I'm asking about stepper motors and drivers and there literally is NO MENTION of them! There some interesting points for you here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ub82Xb1C8os

Hi Mark

Sorry I missed your latest posting on this thread. If you wish to continue to have a chat with me elsewhere, can I suggest you go to my FB page @OddPlanetStudios and message me from there?

Anyway, to some answers. Torque is very important as it measures the strength, i.e. lifting ability of the motor, and for moco rigs you need a lot of torque. Standard NEMA 17 ungeared motors have about 39 Ncm - about 3.9kg at 1cm from the axis, so at 10cm that would be 0.39kg, about the weight of a puppet, so not enough to lift things like cameras!

I am using the expensive geared NEMA 17 steppers with high precision gearboxes, as the basic gearboxes have too much backlash in them. However I have found that there is minimal backlash with ballscrews, which are a sort of worm gear, so that might not be an issue.

The ballscrews I have used are 1605 type, although for my next rig I shall be going down to the 1204, these are 16mm and 12mm dia respectively. I did source a 1.5m 1605 via eBay, and it is a big beast! Maybe you can find one digging around, they come from China.

I like your design, and certainly an overhead system has massive advantages in not taking up space. Will be interesting to see how things develop.

The basic sliders remain useful for manual stuff. I attach them to overhead supports, put a strip of IKEA measuring tape along them and use them as a long puppet rig. But they are not accurate enough for a moco rig. Essentially one is trying to make a device that can reproduce a movement exactly several times over. Not easy!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

STOPMO NEWBIES
basic stopmo discussion

ANIMATOR TALK
experienced animators looking to improve

CAMERA & STAGE
animation camera, lighting and moco rigs

ANIMATION TOOLS & EQUIPMENT
animation tool and rigging discussion

STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS
frame capture, editing, and post-production

STORY
script, storyboarding and storyreel discussion

SOUND
lip-sync, sound effects and music

YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT
discuss your stopmo film

ARMATURES
ball & socket and wire armature discussion

MACHINE SHOP
metalwork tool & talk

SCULPTING
sculpture information and advice

HAIR & COSTUME
materials, patterns and technique

CASTING
foam, silicone and resin

CLAY
clay puppet construction

GENERAL PUPPET MAKING
other puppet fabrication issues

STOP MOTION SETS
set design and construction information

MODEL DEPARTMENT
miniature prop discussion

MATTE PAINTINGS
glass matte paintings and backgrounds

GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS

STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION

FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS

PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION

FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS

ANIMATION SCHOOLS

STOP MOTION BOOKS

STOP MOTION ON VIDEO

JOBS & PROJECTS
post here if you are looking for talent to hire

SWAP MEET
stop motion items for sale

CHAT BOARD
general discussion

SITE FEEDBACK
report bugs, comments and suggestions here

Latest Activity

Evan DeRushie replied to Miguel Angel "Chiyu" Helu's discussion Missing sound - export via After Effects
"Dragonframe doesn't attach audio to your RAW frames. It can only attach your audio when you…"
20 hours ago
Janine replied to Herb Fabits's discussion Stop Motion build up Puppet Tutorial
"Hi, thank you for sharing your knowledge. I have watched the tutorial and I must say that you did a…"
23 hours ago
Hannah Thomas posted blog posts
yesterday
StopmoNick replied to Miguel Angel "Chiyu" Helu's discussion Missing sound - export via After Effects
"The sound is only there in Dragonframe to help you animate.   I don't think it attaches…"
yesterday

the inventor

© 2020   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}