StopMotionAnimation.com

taking one frame at a time since 1999

Hi folks, I just researched the Canon A1200, one of the only inexpensive point-and-shoot cameras that has 24p video recording. The A1200 does not have as many features as more expensive point-and-shoots, but it does have great reviews and is capable of recording at 24 frames per second and then playing it back frame by frame forward or in reverse and in slow motion. The file format is Quicktime (MP4). Videos recorded with this camera can be imported into Dragon Frame. 

Here's a sample video someone took with the A1200:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCa-kLT6f8s

There is a firmware mod for this, which allows the camera to shoot in RAW and have full manual control as well as timelapse script support and HDR-stitching capabilities.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psyMkLFIo8U

Pretty neat, and more than capable of what I was look at it for (didn't even know about the software mod until today). 

Here is a direct link to a tutorial on updating the firmware: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYOaspc4Ohw

Views: 334

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Interesting Ill have to add this camera to my list of cameras Iam thinking of getting.

Just so it's clear, this camera is not intended for creating stop motion. In the context I was introducing it, it would be used to shoot reference footage you would study to help you figure out your animation's timing or to shoot live-action elements that would later be composited with stop motion. It does have time lapse capabilities, so it is possible to use in that way, but you would have no way to interface it with a framegrabber, so you couldn't see what you just shot until you removed the card and put it in a computer's card reader or used an Eye-Fi. As you may know, most point and shoot cameras and even camcorders only offer 30 frames per second as the video option. 24 FPS is the speed that film runs at, and most people animate at 24, making this particular camera intriguing, as that feature is so rare at this price point. To experienced animators the timing difference between 30 and 24 is not that big of a deal, but the spacing between movements is slightly different and if you are just starting out it is important to be able to study video at the same speed you are animating because it helps you improve your timing as well as being able to see how things move in the real world. It also allows you to rotoscope and match-move elements because the speed of reference and the rate of play in the framegrabber would be the same.

Ahh gotcha thanks for the heads up.  Still though at that price point its kinda hard not to resist

Thank you for the very informative post.

Interesting find. This is a cheap way to get 720p 24fps in Quicktime format. I would shoot some live action footage to composite with stop mo and go for that Harryhausen-esque style of animation. :)

24 seems to be slowly getting to be a consumer standard. Makes me really happy to see, after all those years of video that just didn't look or move like film, even when deinterlaced. Nowadays, the film look is pretty obtainable. It's like the days of 16mm home movie cameras all over again. And HD webcams are like Super 8.

and i can vouch for the powershot line of cameras by canon. i shot my first clay animated short film on an old a20 model. i animated straight thru no frame grabber. its in the visual haiku section on stopmoshorts called the big cheese.

I love that film! Never knew you used a Powershot for that. Did you use a timelapse feature on the camera, or did you just shoot that many still pictures and then offload them to the computer where you could stitch them into a Quicktime file later?

i stored the images on flash card then uploaded to pc to import into quicktime pro. the captured stills had a huge amount of detail compared to the finished compressed video. i've always liked canon over others. just a personal preference.

Yeah, Canon is my favorite too, with Panasonic taking a close second. I'd have gotten a Lumix by now if it had a live USB connection. DSLR-like bridge cameras with no moving parts are COOL!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Website News & Tips

STOPMO JAM 3
This time, the theme is HALLOWEEN. All entries must be submitted by September 18, 2021. More info here.

NEW MEMBERS
If you are new to the site, please feel free to introduce yourself on 
this Message Board thread.

MY PAGE
Y
ou can now customize your personal page. Go to My Page/Customize My Page.

PRIVACY
To control who sees your posts and Profile Page, go to Settings/Privacy.

MESSAGE BOARD & BLOG POSTS
If you have a question for the community, it is best to post your question on the Message Board instead of a Blog. Blogs are best for featuring your stop motion projects.

VIDEO
When posting a video, if possible, use the Embed Code instead of the URL. Your video will be a larger, more viewable size.

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

If you have a question or are looking for answers, you'll find a wealth of information here on the Message Board.

BEGINNERS a good place to start
ANIMATOR TALK experienced animators
YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT what r u working on?
STORY script, storyboarding and storyreel
ANIMATION TOOLS
 what's a surface gage?
STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS Dragonframe and VFX
CAMERA & STAGE camera, lighting and moco rigs
SOUND lip-sync, sound effects and music 
ARMATURES ball & socket and wire 
MACHINE SHOP metalwork tool & talk 
SCULPTING sculpture information and advice 
HAIR & COSTUME materials and technique 
CASTING
 foam, silicone and resin 
CLAY clay puppet construction 
GENERAL PUPPET MAKING 
other puppet fab issues
STOP MOTION SETS set design and construction
MODEL DEPARTMENT
 miniature prop discussion

and even more...
MATTE PAINTINGS
GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS 
STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION 
FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS
PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION
FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS 
ANIMATION SCHOOLS 
STOP MOTION BOOKS 
STOP MOTION ON VIDEO 
WORK OPPORTUNITIES

FOR SALE 
CHAT BOARD 

WEBSITE NEWS AND FEEDBACK

SMA.com on YouTube

© 2021   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}