StopMotionAnimation.com

taking one frame at a time since 1999

Hello everyone,

I would like to show you the progress on the second Dogger & Catter animation, or rather the puppets and studio and such because i'm not that far into it yet but it's getting there. 

The old puppets (iron wire skeleton, wool felted on and shaven smooth, roll of tape as base) in the fresh studio which was an empty room with 2 closets a month ago. i'm doing the project during my internship at a company my school has set up to let students work on their own projects (but there's always some students ready to help when needed). And, as you can see, I'm blessed with professional armatures this time!

The room i'm using got a green wall since i started working here, and a computer for shooting (and music ofcourse). I also have a fairly large table to work on the puppets and props and such.

The stage was made from wooden planks and an aluminium sheet. The only problem being the diameter of the holes in that sheet of alu. so i drilled and drilled until i gave up because it was too time consuming and decided i would drill holes during the shoot when i know where his foot will land (fingers crossed!)

And lastly some photos of the unfinished puppets. I'm very happy how the felted parts move and look when you bend them, and then especially the part where your skin would normally fold over because there's too much. And i'm glad that on the other side of the bend, the part which is stretched, seems to fall back in place very nicely without loosening the felted wool. 

So yeah that's basically it so far, I ran into some problems which i didn't brought up here, maybe i'll adress some when they get in the way... Using a greenscreen for stopmotion is pretty new to me and i'm kind of scared of the final result but i trust my peers that it won't even be noticeable with the right lighting. But then again, a complete in-picture set with little to non post-production has that special feel to it, you know that fuzzy goody goodness :)... But now i can focus more on less, and my client has offered to make the foreground/background so that's another thing i don't have to worry about. She even offered to make props, because we need a park-bench on which they must be able to sit, and a trash can because of the stereotypical look, and the last essential props were a couple of flowers and some separate leaves. But creating these kinds of things is the part were i look forward to the most during a project. But since i have to help my fellow students out from time to time I have to let those props slide this time because of, yeah, time... On the bright side, I think the production will benefit from this because it has the property-holder's direct signature on it, instead of my interpretation.

I'm going back to work so i can show more in a couple of (Insert some random period of time) when i have enough to update on. All of your feedback and/or questions are more than welcome! And kind of the point of this if i do one of these every time, not to forget the portfolio i'm (very) slowly building up this way!

(edit: pictures now actually show up)

Views: 347

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

None of these images are showing up for me.  Don't know if it's how you posted them, or just me, or something else.  You could try this if you didn't do it like this already -

To post an image in the thread, you should click on the Image icon, that is in the grey strip at the top of the white box where you type your comments in.  First on the left is LINK, second one is Image.  Once you click on that, you can upload from your computer or paste the URL for the image, and it should appear in with the text.  

Sorry for the inconvenience, i dragged the images from google photo uploads, so they only show up for me i guess. Here is the link to the album:
https://goo.gl/photos/ecaaadVXSBimb1bk9

Fixed the pics

I can see them now - great looking characters, that strong simple graphic look seems to translate well to a felt puppet!

For the floor, just get hold of some perforated steel sheet with the right size holes in it. You can get 3mm and 5mm holes, and the sheet can come in quite big sizes if you need it. 

Puppets look lovely! Can you describe the skin of the puppet in a bit more detail? You just said the felting was onto tape. I assume you mean physio tape?

Felting is done on itself, the tape which is beneath is only there to hold some filling in place (bubbleplastic body, styrofoam head)

Felting is fairly easy, look it up on youtube, they use it a lot for animal puppets, mostly for dispay purposes and not animation.. or scarfs and such

OK that's really cute 

Will we see them move in the near future?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Website News & Tips

NEW MEMBERS

If you are new to the site, please feel free to introduce yourself on this Message Board thread.

MY PAGE
You can now customize your personal page. Go to My Page/Customize My Page.

PRIVACY
To control who sees your posts and Profile Page, go to Settings>Privacy.

MESSAGE BOARD & BLOG POSTS
If you have a question for the community, it is best to post your question on the Message Board instead of a Blog. Blogs are best for featuring your stop motion projects.

VIDEO
When posting a video, if possible, use the Embed Code instead of the URL. Your video will be a larger, more viewable size.

Stopmo Jam HALLOWEEN!

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

If you have a question or are looking for answers, you'll find a wealth of information here on the Message Board.

BEGINNERS a good place to start
ANIMATOR TALK experienced animators
YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT what r u working on?
STORY script, storyboarding and storyreel
ANIMATION TOOLS
 what's a surface gage?
STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS Dragonframe and VFX
CAMERA & STAGE camera, lighting and moco rigs
SOUND lip-sync, sound effects and music 
ARMATURES ball & socket and wire 
MACHINE SHOP metalwork tool & talk 
SCULPTING sculpture information and advice 
HAIR & COSTUME materials and technique 
CASTING
 foam, silicone and resin 
CLAY clay puppet construction 
GENERAL PUPPET MAKING 
other puppet fab issues
STOP MOTION SETS set design and construction
MODEL DEPARTMENT
 miniature prop discussion

and even more...
MATTE PAINTINGS
GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS 
STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION 
FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS
PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION
FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS 
ANIMATION SCHOOLS 
STOP MOTION BOOKS 
STOP MOTION ON VIDEO 
WORK OPPORTUNITIES

FOR SALE 
CHAT BOARD 

WEBSITE NEWS AND FEEDBACK

SMA.com on YouTube

New NMBC Book!

© 2021   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}