StopMotionAnimation.com

taking one frame at a time since 1999

Hello everyone,

This is my first post. I have been looking at everyone's work here and it's a lot of fun to look at all the great work. I have a favor to ask. I have been working on a technical subject for my thesis and came up with a subject that I hope is informative and useful.

I did a series of tests with 3d printers for face replacements with different settings for a very short scene. I have a survey with variations of that scene put together. The idea is you look at all the animations and try to judge them based on two criteria: fluidity(determines frames per second and models printed per second) and appearance which (which determines printing quality) .

The ideal way to test this would be a head on a stick for this test but instead I did a series of the same scene to make it less technical and more subjective. Now, being stop motion I can't re-shot everything exactly the same so you have to forgive any differences. This is just a survey to get an idea on the preferences from as many people as possible. I also wanted to have animation-savvy people take a look and make their opinions known.

The survey is at:  bit.do/AUCstopmotionE   I would appreciate anyone that might want to take it. It should take no more that 10 minutes. You can go back and forth between pages to change scores etc, and change your mind until you finish the survey, but use the buttons provided at the bottom, not the browser back button.

Thanks!!!

Steven Quinones Colon

Views: 174

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I couldn't click on that, so here is a direct link: http://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/2956031/Stop-Motion-and-3d-printing

I watched the first 3, and couldn't tell the difference in the printing quality between them.  The head is too small in frame, in a video which is in a small window on my screen, as seen on the survey page.

Does fluidity refer only to the changing facial expressions, or to the animation as a whole?  The body animation, though expressive and nicely timed, had such a low frame rate it was not fluid at all, more like a pop-through to work out the timing.  And that affected how I saw the facial animation.  It is slightly "steppy" - I can see the changes from one face to another, but acceptable - but it looked like that to me in all of the videos.  

When I went through the rest, I still couldn't tell the difference in resolution of the face prints or in number of different positions.  I have a screen resolution of 2560 x 1600, so the video is too small for me to make out the detail of the head.  Going to full screen didn't help that much, it was bigger but still not a high enough resolution. There wasn't much point in submitting the survey when my answers were the same for every video.

I would need a close-up of each head to see what it looks like, and judge the smoothness of the animation.  There was a large image of a puppet on the page where I could see the layers on the print quite clearly.  

Maybe your idea of putting the head on a stick is better for seeing just the facial animation.   This gave it more character, the gestures are good, but they add complication to assessing just the replacement faces.

With luck, there may be others with sharper eyes who can do this for you.

Nick,

Thanks for the feedback. If you could, please finish the survey. Any data point is good information. I thought about that for a while and seriously considered doing the head on a sick kind of test but we would probably get, yes, of course higher resolution is better than low. What I'm trying to get at is how much does it matter, if at all. For that I assumed that a real world example would be better. This isn't meant to be scientific, just indicative and hopefully informative to know as a filmmaker. At any rate thanks very much for the feedback.

Steven

Well, subjectively, in the framing and resolution you used, the heads look good with no obvious layers.  I can see the join between upper and lower face, and there is some chatter, with the faces maybe not always registering perfectly.   But I imagine you would have close-up shots of the characters as well, and very likely in HD.

I'll try to find a chance to go back and do your survey again, but not a good time at the moment - crashed my car a coupe of hours ago, have insurance claims to file.

Sorry to hear about the car, I hope you're OK. You're right in all counts. I appreciate  the help.

Best regards,

Steven

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Website News & Tips

NEW MEMBERS

If you are new to the site, please feel free to introduce yourself on this Message Board thread.

MY PAGE
You can now customize your personal page. Go to My Page/Customize My Page.

PRIVACY
To control who sees your posts and Profile Page, go to Settings>Privacy.

MESSAGE BOARD & BLOG POSTS
If you have a question for the community, it is best to post your question on the Message Board instead of a Blog. Blogs are best for featuring your stop motion projects.

VIDEO
When posting a video, if possible, use the Embed Code instead of the URL. Your video will be a larger, more viewable size.

Stopmo Jam HALLOWEEN!

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

If you have a question or are looking for answers, you'll find a wealth of information here on the Message Board.

BEGINNERS a good place to start
ANIMATOR TALK experienced animators
YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT what r u working on?
STORY script, storyboarding and storyreel
ANIMATION TOOLS
 what's a surface gage?
STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS Dragonframe and VFX
CAMERA & STAGE camera, lighting and moco rigs
SOUND lip-sync, sound effects and music 
ARMATURES ball & socket and wire 
MACHINE SHOP metalwork tool & talk 
SCULPTING sculpture information and advice 
HAIR & COSTUME materials and technique 
CASTING
 foam, silicone and resin 
CLAY clay puppet construction 
GENERAL PUPPET MAKING 
other puppet fab issues
STOP MOTION SETS set design and construction
MODEL DEPARTMENT
 miniature prop discussion

and even more...
MATTE PAINTINGS
GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS 
STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION 
FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS
PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION
FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS 
ANIMATION SCHOOLS 
STOP MOTION BOOKS 
STOP MOTION ON VIDEO 
WORK OPPORTUNITIES

FOR SALE 
CHAT BOARD 

WEBSITE NEWS AND FEEDBACK

SMA.com on YouTube

New NMBC Book!

© 2021   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}