StopMotionAnimation.com

taking one frame at a time since 1999

Announcing the 1st Ever StopMotionAnimation.com STOPMO JAM!

What is it?

An opportunity for animators to be a part of a stop motion experimental film.

How does it work?

You animate at home or in your studio. Your animation takes place on a simple white set. A white sweep is best. (see set examples below) Your subject(s) must enter frame at the start and exit frame by the end so that the next shot can be cut together with yours. One shot, no cuts, up to 20 seconds in length.

Deadline to complete animation is April 18, 2016. Once all entries are submitted, I'll cut them together and feature the final film here on StopMotionAnimation.com.

RULES AND GUIDELINES

I will update this as needed so check back occasionally.

Deadline: April 18, 2016 (extended from April 1)

Theme: Spring (all definitions of the word)

Shot length: Up to 20 seconds. One shot, no cuts.

Set Floor and Background must be white, a white sweep is a good way to accomplish this. Your shot must start with a blank white frame and end the same way.

Puppets can be made of clay, paper, foam, wire, sand, whichever materials you can utilize to create your design but it must be stop motion animated. Sorry no LEGOs, action figures, toys, or store bought items are allowed UNLESS it is modified (painted, covered with paper or clay, etc). The goal is to make a hand-made experimental film. Stop motion puppets, 2d cutouts, sand, painting, pixelation, all hand-made animation techniques allowed as long as it is against a white field. Depending on interest, there may be a LEGO JAM or a CLAY JAM in the future.

Audio, dialogue, sound effects are allowed but no music please. I will try to either have music composed or find music that fits the whole film if needed.

Content must be ok for kids to watch. Please nothing political. I reserve the right not to include your animation if it doesn't fit into these guidelines. If you have any questions, please post below.

---------

Technical Guidelines

Frame Rate: 24fps

Aspect Ratio 1920 x 1080

Compression Codec: H264 

Once your animation is complete, contact me and I'll provide you with a way to upload your finished Quicktime movie.

Title and Credit: At the end of the film, I will display a frame from your animation with the title and your name next to it similar to the sample credit card pictured below. Please no title or credits in your actual animation.

title card example

Views: 10362

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

nice puppet, will be cool to see it move around!

Jeffrey Roché said:

Hey folks, I wanted to share my completed pup, a spring fairy, foam latex tinted a light green and then colored with brush tip markers and a few touches of acrylic paint.  Still have a couple of props to create, but I'm sure I can make the deadline  (I think I can, I think I can...)

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone's jam!

I am posting this Aspect Ratio guide. Your finished project should be 16:9 as outlined above (1920 x 1080 pixels) Action and Title lines are just guides, not requirements.

I'm stoked.

Got mine shot last night. Working on de-rigging, clean-up and SFX the next couple of days.

I really love these collaborative things!

I finished mine last night editing the frames now. So many things i want to do over. Thank goodness for a deadline or I would never finish it.

Anthony I will probably finish shooting on saturday 16, then I'd like to put some sound effects so I'll end on sunday. Hope the deadline includes the 18 of April, I will probably need the very last day to send the video..

Sure that will be fine.

Zen said:

Anthony I will probably finish shooting on saturday 16, then I'd like to put some sound effects so I'll end on sunday. Hope the deadline includes the 18 of April, I will probably need the very last day to send the video..

I am going thru the submitted Jams now and finding that some are not meeting the technical requirements. Please double check that your final exported film has the following and re-export to Dropbox if necessary.

Technical Guidelines
Frame Rate: 24fps
Aspect Ratio 1920 x 1080
Compression Codec: H264 (QuickTime)

Thanks. Your Jam will look better if I don't have to convert it. I've tried to fix a few and believe me, you won't like it!

Video studio exports at 23.976 will that work? I am not sure why it is not exactly 24fps.

I will contact you if it looks really off, most are ok, biggest problems are the .avi and .wmv files I received. Tried to convert them but they did not look good. Those Jammers have been contacted already. All movie files should be Quicktime, preferably H264 format.

Probably the best thing to do is have you look at a rough cut before it is final. I hope to have that ready in a week or so. I will make it available to view in a private link to all contributors.

Mad Doug K said:

Hey Anthony,

will you let us know if our jam is not good? I'm hoping mine was to spec.

Ok I am going to call mine done. Mistakes were made and lessons learned all in all a great time.

Send it in and I'll check it out. You can have all day Monday to finish, no problem.

James Krysa said:

Does the animation have to include a floor at all?  because I am using my mantlepiece, which is not white, as a set to stand my subject on, with the white wall behind, and I have zoomed in to cut out the floor is that ok?  As I didnt use the white sweep idea approach.

Also please confirm does the deadline include all day monday 18th, upto midnight, or does it have to be submitted before midnight on Sunday 17th April?     

Thanks, James.  

IMPORTANT MESSAGE TO ALL  JAMMERS

Deadline for Entries is Monday night 11:59pm (Pacific Time). For best quality, please make sure your final export settings are set at:

24 fps   -   Quicktime (H264 preferred)   -   Aspect ratio/crop set at 1920x1080

If you cannot make a Quicktime movie, don't send your film, I am having issues working other formats into the Premiere edit software. I've tried to convert them but they don't look good. Alternatively, you can send all of your original still images and I can make a high quality Quicktime.

Contact me when you are ready to send your film and I'll provide you with a Dropbox Link. Please include your Title and Credit preferences. I will be generating all the title cards. Thanks to everyone who participated. I will be sending a rough cut to the Composer in a few days.

- Anthony

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Website News & Tips

NEW MEMBERS

If you are new to the site, please feel free to introduce yourself on this Message Board thread.

MY PAGE
You can now customize your personal page. Go to My Page/Customize My Page.

PRIVACY
To control who sees your posts and Profile Page, go to Settings>Privacy.

MESSAGE BOARD & BLOG POSTS
If you have a question for the community, it is best to post your question on the Message Board instead of a Blog. Blogs are best for featuring your stop motion projects.

VIDEO
When posting a video, if possible, use the Embed Code instead of the URL. Your video will be a larger, more viewable size.

Stopmo Jam HALLOWEEN!

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

If you have a question or are looking for answers, you'll find a wealth of information here on the Message Board.

BEGINNERS a good place to start
ANIMATOR TALK experienced animators
YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT what r u working on?
STORY script, storyboarding and storyreel
ANIMATION TOOLS
 what's a surface gage?
STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS Dragonframe and VFX
CAMERA & STAGE camera, lighting and moco rigs
SOUND lip-sync, sound effects and music 
ARMATURES ball & socket and wire 
MACHINE SHOP metalwork tool & talk 
SCULPTING sculpture information and advice 
HAIR & COSTUME materials and technique 
CASTING
 foam, silicone and resin 
CLAY clay puppet construction 
GENERAL PUPPET MAKING 
other puppet fab issues
STOP MOTION SETS set design and construction
MODEL DEPARTMENT
 miniature prop discussion

and even more...
MATTE PAINTINGS
GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS 
STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION 
FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS
PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION
FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS 
ANIMATION SCHOOLS 
STOP MOTION BOOKS 
STOP MOTION ON VIDEO 
WORK OPPORTUNITIES

FOR SALE 
CHAT BOARD 

WEBSITE NEWS AND FEEDBACK

SMA.com on YouTube

New NMBC Book!

© 2021   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}