StopMotionAnimation.com

taking one frame at a time since 1999

Hi all,

At Röda roboten animation we have developed a tool for planning animation, especially stop-motion which is what we do most.

It's an animator's stop-watch, but it also records the motion of your hand (the rotation) so you get a graph, much like a curve that you usually sketch on the x-sheet. It shows your motion exactly, with the speed and acceleration on every frame.

If you think this could be useful in your work, have a look here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6RV4sCYHbs

Any feedback from animators would be most welcome! 

Thanks
/Staffan

Views: 341

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Looks very useful!  Instant results, instead of videoing yourself, then importing it into a program where you can see the moves frame by frame.  I like the graph approach.  If I had an iPhone, I would install Motion Timer (if not too expensive) and use it while animating.

I don't have an iPhone, I have a $38 DumbPhone for emergencies.   But maybe I could install it on my iPad3?  I did search the App Store for Motion Timer, but I couldn't find it.  It looks best suited to something small like a phone, but some moves could be done with an iPad - it might even help if you are simulating something bigger and heavier.

I wonder, would it also let you record a voice and see the timing on that? 

Aha, found it!  

I was in iPad Apps by default, so it did not appear.  I switched to iPhone Apps and found it.

For $2.99 I can try it on the iPad and see how it works.

Ah, good :)

The iPad3 should work fine, I've tried it. Just be careful not to throw it away when you're swinging it!  (seriously, I almost did that)

No voice recording in this version but it's an interesting idea!

That's pretty cool. I will try it. Here's another useful iPhone tool: time:calc. It's a calculator that is especially useful for film makers.  It displays hours, minutes, seconds and frames. Frame rate and mode keys are customizable.

Thanks, I bought it right away, it's very useful!

I remember when these time-calculators were available only as very expensive hardware, for many hundred of dollars... 

Hi Staffan - I find your motion timer really useful. I found the Android version on some obscure page, and too my chance. I love it !!! Hope that it'll be available for download somewhere - like here soon.

A link to the android version please.

This original post is from 9 years ago. I see that Motion Timer not available on Apple App Store anymore, but App Store does have Frame Timer app, to analyze motion. I get pissed when unique apps only available for apple products! I think that Animation is very niche & of low interest to general app consumers. Here is link ....

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/frame-timer/id1023278352

To Hans, I will post link to Android version of Motion Timer. The phone APK download is here ....

https://apkpure.com/motion-timer/se.rodaroboten.motiontimer

If you download it, can you return to this topic discussion to update us if Motion Timer works on Android? Also, anyone else if you want to test Motion Timer on Android ... give us feedback! Such as which Android phone version # and what brand phone, Samsung, Moto, HTC, etc

Hans Jacob Wagner said:

Motion Timer works on android - I've got it running on a Huawei android 9. And it works like a charm. I find the tool totally unique and very useful, especially in stop motion animation. Both for planning out a take, but also to help you out during. I was hoping for a more confident-looking link, I felt that I was taking a risk installing from a page swarming with commercial download traps. And I know of people how didn't dare install it, because of that. 

I hoped that Staffan could provide one of his own. And I think it could be really nice if it was hosted for download on this site.

I also got it running on an older Lenovo that the kids have currently misled, so I can't tell which Android version.

I really wouldn't like to be without it, and I'm afraid it's going to be lost, just like Magpie pro.

the apkpure.com link works fine: 

I run it on an old Lenovo A6020a40 android version 5.1.1 8core 1.4 GHz 2 GB ram

and my current

Huawei ANE-LX1 9.1.0.381 Android version 9 Hisilicon Kirin 659 CPU 4 GB ram

and it runs without any problem on both

LIOs Nephew said:

This original post is from 9 years ago. I see that Motion Timer not available on Apple App Store anymore, but App Store does have Frame Timer app, to analyze motion. I get pissed when unique apps only available for apple products! I think that Animation is very niche & of low interest to general app consumers. Here is link ....

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/frame-timer/id1023278352

To Hans, I will post link to Android version of Motion Timer. The phone APK download is here ....

If you download it, can you return to this topic discussion to update us if Motion Timer works on Android? Also, anyone else if you want to test Motion Timer on Android ... give us feedback! Such as which Android phone version # and what brand phone, Samsung, Moto, HTC, etc

Hans Jacob Wagner said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Website News & Tips

NEW MEMBERS

If you are new to the site, please feel free to introduce yourself on this Message Board thread.

MY PAGE
You can now customize your personal page. Go to My Page/Customize My Page.

PRIVACY
To control who sees your posts and Profile Page, go to Settings>Privacy.

MESSAGE BOARD & BLOG POSTS
If you have a question for the community, it is best to post your question on the Message Board instead of a Blog. Blogs are best for featuring your stop motion projects.

VIDEO
When posting a video, if possible, use the Embed Code instead of the URL. Your video will be a larger, more viewable size.

Stopmo Jam HALLOWEEN!

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

If you have a question or are looking for answers, you'll find a wealth of information here on the Message Board.

BEGINNERS a good place to start
ANIMATOR TALK experienced animators
YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT what r u working on?
STORY script, storyboarding and storyreel
ANIMATION TOOLS
 what's a surface gage?
STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS Dragonframe and VFX
CAMERA & STAGE camera, lighting and moco rigs
SOUND lip-sync, sound effects and music 
ARMATURES ball & socket and wire 
MACHINE SHOP metalwork tool & talk 
SCULPTING sculpture information and advice 
HAIR & COSTUME materials and technique 
CASTING
 foam, silicone and resin 
CLAY clay puppet construction 
GENERAL PUPPET MAKING 
other puppet fab issues
STOP MOTION SETS set design and construction
MODEL DEPARTMENT
 miniature prop discussion

and even more...
MATTE PAINTINGS
GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS 
STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION 
FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS
PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION
FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS 
ANIMATION SCHOOLS 
STOP MOTION BOOKS 
STOP MOTION ON VIDEO 
WORK OPPORTUNITIES

FOR SALE 
CHAT BOARD 

WEBSITE NEWS AND FEEDBACK

SMA.com on YouTube

New NMBC Book!

© 2021   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}