StopMotionAnimation.com

taking one frame at a time since 1999

This is exciting news for Animators. Canon's relatively new Mirrorless cameras outfitted with Dragonframe Firmware featuring HD Live View at 1920x1280. It's a huge step up. Curious to know if anyone has used them with Dragonframe? 

EOS R Stop Motion Firmware from DRAGONFRAME on Vimeo.

See links for additional information about these cameras. 

EOS R: https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/eos-r-body-with-stop-mot...

EOS RP: https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/eos-rp-body-with-stop-mo...

Dragonframe's Camera Support Page: https://www.dragonframe.com/camera-support/

You can also have the firmware added later if you already have the camera: https://www.dpreview.com/news/1623284310/canon-releases-100-firmwar...

Views: 1131

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sounds cool if Jamie is excited about it
Just checked out the price of the camera ! wow a lot of $$$$

I would love to test it! 

Wondering how mirrorless sensor would react to overheating during a long session of animation

Anthony, I bought a Canon R with stop motion firmware in late March and used it at home on a number of projects during lockdown. Once that was lifted in late April (?), I started renting the kit to my current contract holder where I animate with it every single day. They have since purchased one, and have four more on the way.

I can only say I will never willingly go back to a small live view again.

If you animate and are in the market for a camera, this is it.

Two caveats: You lose HDMI video output on the camera with the new firmware and be sure to get a lens adapter for EF mount lenses.

Thanks Eric for that review. I am planning on purchasing the EOS RP with the firmware installed. 

Eric J. Nelson said:

Anthony, I bought a Canon R with stop motion firmware in late March and used it at home on a number of projects during lockdown. Once that was lifted in late April (?), I started renting the kit to my current contract holder where I animate with it every single day. They have since purchased one, and have four more on the way.

Two caveats: You lose HDMI video output on the camera with the new firmware and be sure to get a lens adapter for EF mount lenses.

If you are planning on using manual Nikon lenses, you can get an adapter directly from the EOS R mount to the Nikon... rather than going EOS R -> EOS EF -> Nikon.

Also, you should only use one of these cameras if you have a fairly powerful computer, since all of the live view images will be much bigger than before. Any new Mac from the last couple of years is probably totally fine.

Anthony Scott said:

Thanks Eric for that review. I am planning on purchasing the EOS RP with the firmware installed. 

Eric J. Nelson said:

I hope you enjoy animating with it, Anthony!

The AC adapter compatible with the EOS RP body is AC-E6N and the DC coupler is DR-E6 according to Canon.

Thanks for the info Dyami, I found this adapter ring by Novoflex, I think this is the one you are referring to, or one like it. https://www.adorama.com/nveosrnik.html

Dyami Caliri said:

If you are planning on using manual Nikon lenses, you can get an adapter directly from the EOS R mount to the Nikon... rather than going EOS R -> EOS EF -> Nikon.

Also, you should only use one of these cameras if you have a fairly powerful computer, since all of the live view images will be much bigger than before. Any new Mac from the last couple of years is probably totally fine.

That one might be overkill. It looks really nice.

However, we've been testing with this one, with no issues:

Fotasy-Adapter-Compatible-Mirrorless-Camera

It's only $17.95.

Yeah that is a big difference in price! Thx!

Dyami Caliri said:

It's only $17.95.

Do you all have any recommendations for Nikon lenses to go with this set up? 

Dyami Caliri said:

It's only $17.95.

I recently purchased a couple of vintage Zeiss lenses: a 25mm at B&H Photo and a 35mm on eBay. Both are in very good condition and are good lenses to start building out my kit. I ordered the Fotasy Nikon lens adapter Dyami recommended for the 25mm and a Fotasy M42 adapter for the 35mm lens. 

Justin Lacy said:

Do you all have any recommendations for Nikon lenses to go with this set up? 

Dyami Caliri said:

It's only $17.95.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Website News & Tips

NEW MEMBERS

If you are new to the site, please feel free to introduce yourself on this Message Board thread.

MY PAGE
You can now customize your personal page. Go to My Page/Customize My Page.

PRIVACY
To control who sees your posts and Profile Page, go to Settings>Privacy.

MESSAGE BOARD & BLOG POSTS
If you have a question for the community, it is best to post your question on the Message Board instead of a Blog. Blogs are best for featuring your stop motion projects.

VIDEO
When posting a video, if possible, use the Embed Code instead of the URL. Your video will be a larger, more viewable size.

Stopmo Jam HALLOWEEN!

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

If you have a question or are looking for answers, you'll find a wealth of information here on the Message Board.

BEGINNERS a good place to start
ANIMATOR TALK experienced animators
YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT what r u working on?
STORY script, storyboarding and storyreel
ANIMATION TOOLS
 what's a surface gage?
STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS Dragonframe and VFX
CAMERA & STAGE camera, lighting and moco rigs
SOUND lip-sync, sound effects and music 
ARMATURES ball & socket and wire 
MACHINE SHOP metalwork tool & talk 
SCULPTING sculpture information and advice 
HAIR & COSTUME materials and technique 
CASTING
 foam, silicone and resin 
CLAY clay puppet construction 
GENERAL PUPPET MAKING 
other puppet fab issues
STOP MOTION SETS set design and construction
MODEL DEPARTMENT
 miniature prop discussion

and even more...
MATTE PAINTINGS
GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS 
STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION 
FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS
PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION
FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS 
ANIMATION SCHOOLS 
STOP MOTION BOOKS 
STOP MOTION ON VIDEO 
WORK OPPORTUNITIES

FOR SALE 
CHAT BOARD 

WEBSITE NEWS AND FEEDBACK

SMA.com on YouTube

New NMBC Book!

© 2021   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}