StopMotionAnimation.com

taking one frame at a time since 1999

Hi! In an attempt to avoid flicker, I read an article in stopmotionpro, which says:

"The lenses that are supplied with modern DSLRs use automatic iris. When you click the shutter release, the lens iris 'stops down', the shutter opens, after the set exposure time, the shutter closes and the lens iris opens up again. Unfortunately the lens does not 'stop down' to exactly the same place each time you press the shutter. It causes an annoying flicker.
To solve this problem, the best solution is to use older style manual iris lenses, not to use the lenses that usually come bundled with the new DSLR cameras."

So, I have a camera Canon Eos Rebel Xs 1000d, and I want to buy an adapter lens eos for a 45mm MINOLTA MD Rokkor 1:2. But, there are two kinds of adapters:

- With electronic focus confirmation
- No focus confirmation

To avoid flickering, I can use any of this adapters? Or should I buy without focus confirmation?

Thank you!
Guillermo.

Views: 753

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Nova flex adapters  have been used to attach m42 manual lenses to cannon bodies with good results but are very pricey. I found exactly the same thing for about £5. As far as i can tell it works wonderfully for fitting pentax M42 fit lenses to my Cannon 550d and eliminates flicker produced with the auto lenses. I know this doesn't help much as the fitting will be different for your manual lenses but something along these lines should work in theory.

http://www.focalprice.com/DI423/M42_Lens_to_EOS_DSLR_Adapter_Silver...

For the price of a Novaflex adapter, you can buy a used Nikon Micro-Nikkor 55mm F2.8 AI-S Manual Focus Macro Lens and an adapter(has no glass) and still have change to spare. These used lenses can be bought on Ebay. You want to buy a Nikon (AI or AIS) lens..not an AF.

There can be several sources of flicker. First, don't wear a white shirt because it can reflect light back on your subject and cause flicker. Second, check settings on yoour camera and remove any auto adjustments such as white balance, exposure and etc. Third, try using compact flourescent bulbs. Fourth, if all these fail, then you need something to smooth the voltage going to your lights and camera.

Perhaps longer shutter speeds and lower ISO's? Not sure, just a thought.

Has anybody tried or have had any luck with pancake lenses?

I was looking at these the other day and thinking about stopmo applications.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Website News & Tips

STOPMO JAM 3
This time, the theme is HALLOWEEN. All entries must be submitted by September 18, 2021. More info here.

NEW MEMBERS
If you are new to the site, please feel free to introduce yourself on 
this Message Board thread.

MY PAGE
Y
ou can now customize your personal page. Go to My Page/Customize My Page.

PRIVACY
To control who sees your posts and Profile Page, go to Settings/Privacy.

MESSAGE BOARD & BLOG POSTS
If you have a question for the community, it is best to post your question on the Message Board instead of a Blog. Blogs are best for featuring your stop motion projects.

VIDEO
When posting a video, if possible, use the Embed Code instead of the URL. Your video will be a larger, more viewable size.

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

If you have a question or are looking for answers, you'll find a wealth of information here on the Message Board.

BEGINNERS a good place to start
ANIMATOR TALK experienced animators
YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT what r u working on?
STORY script, storyboarding and storyreel
ANIMATION TOOLS
 what's a surface gage?
STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS Dragonframe and VFX
CAMERA & STAGE camera, lighting and moco rigs
SOUND lip-sync, sound effects and music 
ARMATURES ball & socket and wire 
MACHINE SHOP metalwork tool & talk 
SCULPTING sculpture information and advice 
HAIR & COSTUME materials and technique 
CASTING
 foam, silicone and resin 
CLAY clay puppet construction 
GENERAL PUPPET MAKING 
other puppet fab issues
STOP MOTION SETS set design and construction
MODEL DEPARTMENT
 miniature prop discussion

and even more...
MATTE PAINTINGS
GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS 
STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION 
FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS
PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION
FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS 
ANIMATION SCHOOLS 
STOP MOTION BOOKS 
STOP MOTION ON VIDEO 
WORK OPPORTUNITIES

FOR SALE 
CHAT BOARD 

WEBSITE NEWS AND FEEDBACK

SMA.com on YouTube

© 2021   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}