StopMotionAnimation.com

taking one frame at a time since 1999

Hi folks, I keep seeing this stuff called "Cloud Clay" at art supply stores, and it doesn't seem to have taken hold in the stop motion community, but it's a new-ish air-dry polymer material similar to Crayola Model Magic. With one difference... It's incredibly STRETCHY. Once dry, it has a foam-like texture and continues to be flexible. It has memory, so you have to wire it to make it poseable- but to my knowledge this is the only air-dry clay that has these properties. You can even bend it back until it touches itself once it's dry and it will not crack or crumble. Fascinating.

http://newclaynews.blogspot.com/2010/11/meet-new-clay-cloud-clay.html

So far, the only issue I've found with it is that it will only bend the way it is designed. For example, if you sculpted a long, slender arm that was flat and then you bent the arm and let it dry, once dry it will only bend in the direction it was positioned while it was "wet". So, you would want to make sure to have a strong neutral position with no directional bias when posing the puppet as the material is still soft. Other than that, this clay is cool. If you can get around its stretchiness when attempting to pull off a piece to add to your sculpture, I think you'll find that it has a lot to offer. The lightweight factor alone positions it as something useful to bulk up an armature. You can also cast with it, for all of you who like making molds. Pretty cheap, too, after all that...

Views: 7649

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

https://www.luminsworkshop.com/collections/foam-clay this is Australian, and very expensive to buy In Denmark. Spend 60pounds on one bucket shipped from breaksit UK. 40pounds was shipping, tax and fees.

It's very light! end up weighing like a foam coffee cup. It's difficult to model. But if you roll it out and cut pieces that you then build together, you can make some decent results. Best for hard surface props. Brilliant for doing an armor for instance. If only we could find a non curring material like this!!

StopmoNick said:

I found it on eBay Australia, but the seller is in the US. It's $10 for a 4 oz pack which is ok, but the shipping is another $10, so I would have to pay double. Can't find it locally.

LOL - if you add a reply to a old conversation with 7500+ views it automatically get listed as No 1 this week.

I is no pro aramature maker but if FLXIBLE DRY CLAY is anything like the current "scumvorks" light clay, air-dry foam here in the U.K., (real cheap aimed at kids,) it is great for rigid parts cladding. That's about it. Easy to shape, flexible once dry, mega light but it took 2-3 weeks to start cracking under constant handling. I tried it for cladding ball & socket joints. Just not up tp the rigours of long term moving parts.

As to what makes this week's No 1 "hot topic", I'd say it is good that stuff is highlighted simply based on public engagement regardless of when it was posted. I'd say posts on mo-capture in stop-mo, air drying clay in 2013, or back projection stop-mo techniques in the 1930', are all handy to know about come problem solving in the stuff we do as stop-mo nerds right?

Most other airdry foamclays that I tested will start cracking a lot sooner. I try to prolong the curring time by adding babyoil or glyserol and cover it with a good spray, of transparent matte cardip. But it would be great if we could find or figure out how to make, a non-curring foamclay.

Or better still a really flexible one.

The ultra light weight foam clay that I got from Lumin's workshop, is flexible. I made a 3mm snake-like shape around a wire as a first test - it is still holding up - at least three months later, without any alterrations. But if I shape it around a knee joint it'll crack and snap. If I mix it with babyoil it and spray seal it. It will stay soft, and become like a bag filled with a fluid substance. I have to make more tests, amount of oil. I asked Lumin's workshop if they thought that their way of making the foam clay could be translated into making a light weight clay for stopmotion. The response was "not knowing, interesting, 'll hand it to somebody who might know more". 

Has anyone tried to mix silica into plastelina? Or adding other lightweight fillers to wax based clays?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Website News & Tips

STOPMO JAM 3
This time, the theme is HALLOWEEN. All entries must be submitted by September 18, 2021. More info here.

NEW MEMBERS
If you are new to the site, please feel free to introduce yourself on 
this Message Board thread.

MY PAGE
Y
ou can now customize your personal page. Go to My Page/Customize My Page.

PRIVACY
To control who sees your posts and Profile Page, go to Settings/Privacy.

MESSAGE BOARD & BLOG POSTS
If you have a question for the community, it is best to post your question on the Message Board instead of a Blog. Blogs are best for featuring your stop motion projects.

VIDEO
When posting a video, if possible, use the Embed Code instead of the URL. Your video will be a larger, more viewable size.

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

If you have a question or are looking for answers, you'll find a wealth of information here on the Message Board.

BEGINNERS a good place to start
ANIMATOR TALK experienced animators
YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT what r u working on?
STORY script, storyboarding and storyreel
ANIMATION TOOLS
 what's a surface gage?
STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS Dragonframe and VFX
CAMERA & STAGE camera, lighting and moco rigs
SOUND lip-sync, sound effects and music 
ARMATURES ball & socket and wire 
MACHINE SHOP metalwork tool & talk 
SCULPTING sculpture information and advice 
HAIR & COSTUME materials and technique 
CASTING
 foam, silicone and resin 
CLAY clay puppet construction 
GENERAL PUPPET MAKING 
other puppet fab issues
STOP MOTION SETS set design and construction
MODEL DEPARTMENT
 miniature prop discussion

and even more...
MATTE PAINTINGS
GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS 
STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION 
FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS
PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION
FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS 
ANIMATION SCHOOLS 
STOP MOTION BOOKS 
STOP MOTION ON VIDEO 
WORK OPPORTUNITIES

FOR SALE 
CHAT BOARD 

WEBSITE NEWS AND FEEDBACK

SMA.com on YouTube

New NMBC Book!

© 2021   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}