StopMotionAnimation.com

taking one frame at a time since 1999

HALLOWEEN is the theme for STOPMO JAM 3. Deadline is SEPTEMBER 18, 2021

Get ready for STOPMO JAM 3!

This time the theme is everyone's favorite stopmo time of the year: HALLOWEEN!

So what is a STOPMO JAM?

It is a series of short animated ideas that all relate to the theme. We've done Spring and Run in the past, this time it's Halloween!

Puppets can be made of clay, paper, foam, wire, sand, whichever materials you can utilize to create your design but it must be stop motion animated. Sorry no LEGOs, action figures, toys, or store bought items are allowed UNLESS it is modified (painted, covered with paper or clay, etc). The goal is to make a hand-made experimental film. Stop motion puppets, 2d cutouts, sand, painting, pixelation*, all hand-made animation techniques allowed.

*EDIT: animating your hand interacting with a puppet is ok

Background: A Black Sweep is best but it's ok to build sets and props. For editing purposes, just make sure your first and last frames are completely black. Either your puppet enters and exits a completely black set (simplest way to accomplish this much like STOPMO JAM Spring) or some kind of trick, like the camera zooms into the black eye socket of a skeleton (like we did in Corpse Bride)

Important Technical Requirements!

For your Jam to look its best, please adhere to these guidelines.
Shot Length: 15 seconds maximum

Frame Rate: 24 fps (not 23.96 or 30 or 29.97....24 please!) 

Aspect Ratio: 16:9 @ 1920 x 1080

Finished Animation: export to Quicktime (H264 is good)

Add your own Sound FX. Make sure you have the rights to it. Better yet, record your own! 
DEADLINE is SEPTEMBER 18, 2021. This may seem like a long ways away but for stop motion people, it's just around the corner. Remember, you have to build and animate everything yourself. You could easily spend months just building a puppet. Start thinking of your idea first, once you have nailed it down, get to work. If you have any questions, send me a message thru SMA.com or better yet, reply to this thread. Content must be ok for kids to watch.* I reserve the right not to include your animation if it doesn't fit into these guidelines. Ok go make something!

*EDIT: More about Content. Think about making this fun for all ages. Monsters, ghosts, haunted houses, tricks and treats, spooky creatures all good. Keep a lid on the blood, this is not a slasher horror film. If you have any questions, drop me a note here.

Views: 1016

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Anthony, Thanks for posting the behind the scenes images. Corpse Bride seems like it was just released yesterday not 16 years ago. I've watched the behind the scenes on the DVD a hundred times. Love the character drawings.

I'll try to post more in the future. There are more Corpse Bride photos, video and tests in this interview I did recently on The Animation Industry Podcast starting at 41:30.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75JfLbW47GM&t=11s

Steve Copeland said:

Anthony, Thanks for posting the behind the scenes images. Corpse Bride seems like it was just released yesterday not 16 years ago. I've watched the behind the scenes on the DVD a hundred times. Love the character drawings.

This is super exciting, Anthony!  I've got a few ideas and hopefully one of them will be doable this year.  With Halloween as the prompt, I can't pass it up.  I can't wait to see what everyone comes up with.  

Yeah I think there will be some fun entries. I hope to animate something for it as well. 

Since you and James both mentioned WandaVision, I decided to create a thread for the show over on the Chat Board: https://stopmotionanimation.com/forum/topics/wandavision-chat?xg_so... it's a good show, enjoying it so far.

Steve Copeland said:

I hate to derail the conversation but several effects in the first two episodes of Wandavision were practical, things flying on strings or attached to poles and the rigs were removed digitally.

I didn't realise I was derailing the conversation myself. I apologise. I will try and behave myself from here on lol naughty boy James.. just being human.. but it can make the thread seem messy so I will try to keep it focussed on the jam3

I was thinking it might be cool to meet up every couple weeks or so in the Chat Room or possibly YouTube Live to talk about STOPMO JAM 3. We can go over the guidelines, ideas, techniques, basically anything related to producing your segment. Let me know if anyone is up for it. I can set aside some time on the weekends.

I didn't even know you had a live chat function on the site until now. I'm not opposed to chatting. Time zones would be my only question. I'm on the east side of the United States GMT-5.

My original idea is already being changed by a friend. He said, "it would be cool if your character did this and then did this". So I said I'll test it.

Ordered some silicone today to start testing. I'm working from home and my computer sits where I usually have my animation table so first thing is to rearrange the basement.

Yeah no one ever seems to use it but it's down there bottom right of every page. Click on Main Room.

yeah I think that's a good idea..  I'm up for it.. just have to work out the time zone difference.. I'm in the U.K. 

Anthony Scott said:

I was thinking it might be cool to meet up every couple weeks or so in the Chat Room or possibly YouTube Live to talk about STOPMO JAM 3. We can go over the guidelines, ideas, techniques, basically anything related to producing your segment. Let me know if anyone is up for it. I can set aside some time on the weekends.

Hey Steve.. yeah friends and family and people online can have a big influence over things.. I always send my animation to a few people asking what they think, before I post online.. I don't usually ask people for ideas, but I always feel a very strong desire to want to share what I been working hard on.. be careful though you could be creating a rod for your own back listening to others..   I still haven't explored silicone and latex and all these different materials.. I would love to be able to just dive into that world of the craft puppet and set building.. but I'm always wary it's taking my focus away from learning animation principles etc.. but I finished my last lesson 8 today on see-learn so I after I post my last two lessons online I can start myself to rearrange my outbuilding space to make a set.. I'm debating whether or not to turn my living room into the set or outside.. because it's so cold now, it's going to cost more to use the outside space.. with the electric heaters.. than use my gas in the flat.. I think it's so cool you got a basement.. I wish I had my attic space here converted.. but I'm not allowed.. landlord / housing thing.. we never have enough space do we.. but we just have to be clever in using what we do have.. and for the record I always tried to chat with people on this site in the main room. .and no one every really were very friendly or encouraging.. lol.. I don't think a great deal of people actually have proper chats anymore.. the art of conversation is dead or severely dying lol... we in this age of visuals & voyerism now.. with social media.. the access makes it way too easy to scroll through endless stimulation to the point of feeling saturated .. there may be plenty of interaction but not a great deal of personal engagement.. everyone seems to be practicing the art of detachment these days.. haha. owe well I guess we just got to get on with it best we can right.. this use to bug me big time about people.. but I don't care anymore.. we all doing our own thing now aren't we.. but it is nice to have some group engagement here and there.. 

Steve Copeland said:

I didn't even know you had a live chat function on the site until now. I'm not opposed to chatting. Time zones would be my only question. I'm on the east side of the United States GMT-5.

My original idea is already being changed by a friend. He said, "it would be cool if your character did this and then did this". So I said I'll test it.

Ordered some silicone today to start testing. I'm working from home and my computer sits where I usually have my animation table so first thing is to rearrange the basement.

Too true.  :D

"...that was a lie, and she knows it."

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Website News & Tips

STOPMO JAM 3
This time, the theme is HALLOWEEN. All entries must be submitted by September 18, 2021. More info here.

NEW MEMBERS
If you are new to the site, please feel free to introduce yourself on 
this Message Board thread.

MY PAGE
Y
ou can now customize your personal page. Go to My Page/Customize My Page.

PRIVACY
To control who sees your posts and Profile Page, go to Settings/Privacy.

MESSAGE BOARD & BLOG POSTS
If you have a question for the community, it is best to post your question on the Message Board instead of a Blog. Blogs are best for featuring your stop motion projects.

VIDEO
When posting a video, if possible, use the Embed Code instead of the URL. Your video will be a larger, more viewable size.

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

If you have a question or are looking for answers, you'll find a wealth of information here on the Message Board.

BEGINNERS a good place to start
ANIMATOR TALK experienced animators
YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT what r u working on?
STORY script, storyboarding and storyreel
ANIMATION TOOLS
 what's a surface gage?
STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS Dragonframe and VFX
CAMERA & STAGE camera, lighting and moco rigs
SOUND lip-sync, sound effects and music 
ARMATURES ball & socket and wire 
MACHINE SHOP metalwork tool & talk 
SCULPTING sculpture information and advice 
HAIR & COSTUME materials and technique 
CASTING
 foam, silicone and resin 
CLAY clay puppet construction 
GENERAL PUPPET MAKING 
other puppet fab issues
STOP MOTION SETS set design and construction
MODEL DEPARTMENT
 miniature prop discussion

and even more...
MATTE PAINTINGS
GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS 
STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION 
FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS
PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION
FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS 
ANIMATION SCHOOLS 
STOP MOTION BOOKS 
STOP MOTION ON VIDEO 
WORK OPPORTUNITIES

FOR SALE 
CHAT BOARD 

WEBSITE NEWS AND FEEDBACK

SMA.com on YouTube

New NMBC Book!

© 2021   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}