I was wondering if i could make a creature that when it blinks it has a second eyelid that is more white and see threw that is under the main eyelid and that comes up before the main one... i have a pic of a cat below if u don't know what i mean... the only thought i have so far is to some how use some plastic rap and rap it around the eyeball and give it a dense coat of glossy clear (or misty) spray paint and hope it keeps its shape... so it's remove able...

hope u get that...

Views: 951

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You didn't say how big your puppet is (hence how big its eyeballs are, but I'd be tempted to use some thin milky colored plastic (perhaps a plastic milk carton) and would try heating it us in the oven (or similar) so that I could push a ball bearing into it to form the lid after it is cut out. The ball bearing would have to be the same size as you puppets normal eyeballs. Do this a couple of times and cut the lid shells down as needed to created 3 or four different ones to use for the blink process.
... jbd

With larger eyeballs - about the size of a full size cat eye or bigger - I've formed plastic shells like John described, and cut them out so they were half a sphere.  I slipped them in between the eyeball and the latex socket, so they could slide under and disappear, and slide down for a blink.   I was using this for the main eyelids, not the nictitating membrane, but they would be even better for that.  I heated the plastic, then pushed it over a ball the same as the puppet eyeball with a bit of plastic tube that was slightly bigger on the inside than the ball, to form the shape.   I used white styrene sheet, and clear plastic cut from the flat parts of a a bubble pack where some had already been vac formed, and both worked.

The foam latex was cast around the eyeball, but had enough give in it to take the extra thickness of the plastic eyelid.  With a liquid latex built up over the eye, I would probably make the lid first, and paint the latex over the lid.

This is a very small image, but the eyelids - top and bottom - are visible in this shot.

This might be more difficult with the small eyes I have on most of my stopmo puppets, like 11mm or less.

In order to be able to really see the nictitating membrane clearly in shot you might want to make a larger puppet head just for the blinking shots which of course would also make it easier to make and animate them. 

The eye ball size are about the same size as a marble (or the same)... i think i like the milk carton idea and i could make it glossy to sell the effect... I'll post some pic's really soon of it's head (not completely finished at all) and the size of it's eyeballs... (could i heat it up with a plow dryer...)

John Downey said:

You didn't say how big your puppet is (hence how big its eyeballs are, but I'd be tempted to use some thin milky colored plastic (perhaps a plastic milk carton) and would try heating it us in the oven (or similar) so that I could push a ball bearing into it to form the lid after it is cut out. The ball bearing would have to be the same size as you puppets normal eyeballs. Do this a couple of times and cut the lid shells down as needed to created 3 or four different ones to use for the blink process.
... jbd

Here are some pictures of the puppet's eyes...It's not even close to finished yet...but i wanted you guys to see its eyes....

I'm guessing that is a dime, and the eyeballs are around 15 mm diameter?   (The Australian 5c coin in my photo is probably a similar size.) 

Is it a marble?  If so, I found I have 2 sizes of marble.  The very first stopmo puppet eyes I made were cast in a silicone a mould I made from a marble 16mm in diameter, others were 14.7mm.  

I just looked in my eyeball collection and I still have that 16mm marble, a couple of polyester resin eyes made from it, and a couple of shells formed in clear plastic over the marble that would have been perfect for nictitating membranes - just paint with a mixture of clear and white to add some cloudiness.  But if a semi-clear plastic from a  container forms over the marble with some heat, that's even better.  Anyway this shows it much better than the frame grab I posted before.

I also found some red frog eyes from the larger mould used for the dino hatchling eyes (circa 1993), and the upper and lower eyelids I used, even though the puppet rotted away long ago.

hey i finally got around to trying some stuff out check out this pastic rap that i sprayed with some weird gloss... made it keep it's shape even when i move it around so i cut it out...(very easy but kinda delicate...) 

but i still want to try out the milk carton idea....

Reply to Discussion

RSS

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

STOPMO NEWBIES
basic stopmo discussion

ANIMATOR TALK
experienced animators looking to improve

CAMERA & STAGE
animation camera, lighting and moco rigs

ANIMATION TOOLS & EQUIPMENT
animation tool and rigging discussion

STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS
frame capture, editing, and post-production

STORY
script, storyboarding and storyreel discussion

SOUND
lip-sync, sound effects and music

YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT
discuss your stopmo film

ARMATURES
ball & socket and wire armature discussion

MACHINE SHOP
metalwork tool & talk

SCULPTING
sculpture information and advice

HAIR & COSTUME
materials, patterns and technique

CASTING
foam, silicone and resin

CLAY
clay puppet construction

GENERAL PUPPET MAKING
other puppet fabrication issues

STOP MOTION SETS
set design and construction information

MODEL DEPARTMENT
miniature prop discussion

MATTE PAINTINGS
glass matte paintings and backgrounds

GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS

STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION

FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS

PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION

FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS

ANIMATION SCHOOLS

STOP MOTION BOOKS

STOP MOTION ON VIDEO

JOBS & PROJECTS
post here if you are looking for talent to hire

SWAP MEET
stop motion items for sale

CHAT BOARD
general discussion

SITE FEEDBACK
report bugs, comments and suggestions here

Latest Activity

Daily Medicos replied to Michael Hearst's discussion Looking for animator for short song(s).
"Daily Medicos is a content hub that provides articles on Health & Wellness, Doctors of pharmacy…"
9 minutes ago
Technical Service replied to Michael Hearst's discussion Looking for animator for short song(s).
"Abdulla Thani Technical Services L.L.C comes under the list of interior fit-out companies in Dubai.…"
1 hour ago
Technical Service posted a discussion

Technical Service

Abdulla Thani Technical Services L.L.C comes under the l…See More
1 hour ago
Norah bailey posted a blog post

Ways to Fix Quicken Download Error 28

How can I Fix Quicken Download Error 28? Quicken software is known to serve a wider audience in the…See More
2 hours ago

© 2020   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}