I have added the lines and scars from my own hands in ink and was wondering if anyone knows of a good way to soften the lines as I would like to blend them a little more. I am toying with the idea of using a very diluted ink wash to go around the lines with but the ink seems to soak in quite quickly and it seems like there is no going back once too much is applied. Does anyone know a good method to blend lines. Maybe a diluted wash of green over top or a few sepia washes? 

Any help is much appreciated. I also want to say a big "Thank You" to stopmoNick for his superb tutorials. These hands were literally made by (and while) watching Nick's videos on youtube and are my first ever latex creation.

Cheers,

Tim

Views: 596

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

i have no idea how to help...BUT WOW THOSE LOOK GREAT TIM!!

cc

Thanks for the kind words Chris. They definitely look better with the ink. I posted the making of pics on my blog.

Can you spray a fine mist of water over the latex before painting on with a brush next time? If you want to use these hands, you could also fake "fade" by tracing over it again with a watered down ink and a larger brush - maybe try on something else before you do it, of course. And it's tricky, I know, but if it works it'd be interesting to see. And yep, like Crazy Chris says, these look great.

I have to agree with Chris, those hands look great and I love the 2 toned paint and the ink really makes everything pop and look alive.

I don't have any advice on what would work, but would recommend just doing a few tests (not on your gorgeous hands) and seeing what, if anything, gives you the effect you're looking for.

Great hands!!  You did much better with the fingernails than I do on a built-up hand.

I don't do much detailing with fine lines like that, it's more like applying thin washes, or dry-brushing the highlights.  But I like the lines on those green hands.  I guess you could have thinned the ink down more before applying it, but it has a nice hand-drawn look, like an illustration.

Thanks for the kind words guys and thanks for the advice Les. The fake fade you are talking about is so far what I will do next. I am thinking of using the thinned black with a slightly bigger brush to outline and then a very diluted wash to blend the seams from the second wash with the rest of the hand. Does anyone have recommendations for the final wash i.e. sepia or black? I am thinking the sepia may not turn the rest of the hands too dark but it also may not blend the black with the green as well.  

Thanks so much Nick. In all honesty, I consider these hands as much your creation as mine;) These are part of my very first latex build up project which I literally made from your video step by step. I must have replayed your tutorial on youtube about fifty times while I was making them :) Thanks so much for putting those together.

I didn't build up the palms or creases very well with the latex and I will work on that for the next pair. They looked pretty bad with no detailing so I figured I would have a go at "faking" the palm details after adding stripes to one of my other characters and I was a little stripe crazy and just got carried away. ha ha With the ink like this, these ones are, like you said, a bit illustrated almost like a comic book for sure. Not quite the subtle accents I was going for;) ha ha  I am happy with the way they photographed against the grey though. I love using f 1.8 for stills because I can usually keep many imperfections out of the depth of field;) If this was out of focus I'm sure the lines would look perfect :) lol too bad I didn't think to file the edges of his wrist joint before assembly. Here is a picture where the horrible thing is visible as an awkward bulge on the wrist.

I think I will have a go at thinning more next time for sure, thanks. I think I will be thinning some black down and feathering it out from the lines very carefully to try and blur and fade the lines a bit.

Bravo!! 

I think they look fantastic, and I wouldn't change a thing. The problem most people have is they're too timid with dirtying things up, they'll just apply a super-light wash or something, that barely shows at all, and think they've done too much. You need to dirty things up about 10 times more than you think you should before it even really shows up on camera. I'd say you already nailed it. 

Super! These hands look super cool :) I like those thin clear lines. But, could you explain to me what kind of ink you used and how you managed to let it dry so clean? Did you use somethink like an ink pen?

Thanks for the kind words guys. I used a combination of acrylic inks and india ink. Acrylic inks for the sepia washes and black indian ink for the lines. I actually used only the cap of the ink and a VERY tiny paintbrush (10/0) and just painted them on making sure after each dab in the ink to remove any big globs onto a scrap piece of paper so there was only a tiny bit on the brush each time. Also great care must be given to not touch the fresh ink at all. At this rate one bottle of ink will be a twenty year supply :) 

Great.  Really great. Can I ask: is the ink durable, do it stand manipulations during animation? I have an idea about a mix of ink and ammonia, but..I don't know. 

As a stylistic choice the lines look good the way they are.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

STOPMO NEWBIES
basic stopmo discussion

ANIMATOR TALK
experienced animators looking to improve

CAMERA & STAGE
animation camera, lighting and moco rigs

ANIMATION TOOLS & EQUIPMENT
animation tool and rigging discussion

STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS
frame capture, editing, and post-production

STORY
script, storyboarding and storyreel discussion

SOUND
lip-sync, sound effects and music

YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT
discuss your stopmo film

ARMATURES
ball & socket and wire armature discussion

MACHINE SHOP
metalwork tool & talk

SCULPTING
sculpture information and advice

HAIR & COSTUME
materials, patterns and technique

CASTING
foam, silicone and resin

CLAY
clay puppet construction

GENERAL PUPPET MAKING
other puppet fabrication issues

STOP MOTION SETS
set design and construction information

MODEL DEPARTMENT
miniature prop discussion

MATTE PAINTINGS
glass matte paintings and backgrounds

GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS

STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION

FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS

PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION

FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS

ANIMATION SCHOOLS

STOP MOTION BOOKS

STOP MOTION ON VIDEO

JOBS & PROJECTS
post here if you are looking for talent to hire

SWAP MEET
stop motion items for sale

CHAT BOARD
general discussion

SITE FEEDBACK
report bugs, comments and suggestions here

Latest Activity

Integral investigator replied to Michael Hearst's discussion Looking for animator for short song(s).
"Looking for a ""> private investigator in Sydney? Integral Investigations has been…"
9 hours ago
Integral investigator replied to Michael Hearst's discussion Looking for animator for short song(s).
"Looking for a "">private investigator in Sydney? Integral Investigations has been…"
9 hours ago
StopmoNick replied to Evan's discussion Reccomend a camera for 11yr old lego brick film enthusiastic beginner
"Cheapest is to use a smartphone or tablet with a good camera that you already have.  Use it…"
11 hours ago
Evan posted a discussion

Reccomend a camera for 11yr old lego brick film enthusiastic beginner

My son has been really enjoying making brick films using a webcam for a few months now and is keen…See More
Saturday

© 2020   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}