StopMotionAnimation.com

taking one frame at a time since 1999

Hey all, I'm new to the forum and just digging into stop motion a bit more now. I recently had a camera upgrade to use for normal videos and I've been trying to use that for stop motion as well. The new camera is a Sony A7rIII with a Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM Lens.
I use Dragonframe for my shoots and set all settings as they are recommended for this camera on the Dragonframe support page. 

So the issue is that when I try to edit the photos in Lightroom before I progress to premier+after effects, the colours between images don't always match. For example, when a new colour comes into the scene, it's almost as I have changed either the tint or the white balance settings on my camera but according to lightroom, these values are the same.
Before I was using a Canon 5D Mark III with Canon EF 24-105mm f/4l IS USM where I had similar issues but maybe not as severe. I also had issues with flicker occasionally which I had to fix in post, but I found a post on here which explains the causes of this in great detail, so thanks for that. The above issues are probably not as apparent if I'm only looking at the JPEGs produced by the cameras. 

Does my issue come from doing something wrong during filming or post-production or both?

What I'm thinking could cause my issues:
- Having the lens connected to the camera
- I still have some setting on that allows changes by the camera
- Not using a color checker passport, so when I import to lightroom it tries to use different setting for each image, or just simply something isn't set right in lightroom...

Anything else I could try for my next shoot?

Thanks in advance!

Views: 57

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"values are the same..."  Just wondering, could that mean the the average colour values are the same, so when a new colour came in, it adjusted to keep the average the same?

What happens if you import the raw frames into After Effects instead of Light Room?  Are the colours changing when viewed in AE, or is that something that happens in Lightroom?

I don't know anything about the Sony, I use Canon DSLRs, and i don't use Lightroom either so just guessing, trying to isolate the different stages to work out where it happens.  It seems most likely the the adjustments are happening in the camera before you import the frames into any editing software, but I think Lightroom is mainly for processing still photos, right?  So might it also try to "improve" individual photos, just like the cameras do, without regard for animator's needs?  

Now, almost a year later I got fed up enough to check out the different settings in Lightroom we use. The adjustment that was causing the flicker when a new colour was added or taken out of the scene was 'Clarity' 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Website News & Tips

STOPMO JAM 3
This time, the theme is HALLOWEEN. All entries must be submitted by September 18, 2021. More info here.

NEW MEMBERS
If you are new to the site, please feel free to introduce yourself on 
this Message Board thread.

MY PAGE
Y
ou can now customize your personal page. Go to My Page/Customize My Page.

PRIVACY
To control who sees your posts and Profile Page, go to Settings/Privacy.

MESSAGE BOARD & BLOG POSTS
If you have a question for the community, it is best to post your question on the Message Board instead of a Blog. Blogs are best for featuring your stop motion projects.

VIDEO
When posting a video, if possible, use the Embed Code instead of the URL. Your video will be a larger, more viewable size.

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

If you have a question or are looking for answers, you'll find a wealth of information here on the Message Board.

BEGINNERS a good place to start
ANIMATOR TALK experienced animators
YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT what r u working on?
STORY script, storyboarding and storyreel
ANIMATION TOOLS
 what's a surface gage?
STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS Dragonframe and VFX
CAMERA & STAGE camera, lighting and moco rigs
SOUND lip-sync, sound effects and music 
ARMATURES ball & socket and wire 
MACHINE SHOP metalwork tool & talk 
SCULPTING sculpture information and advice 
HAIR & COSTUME materials and technique 
CASTING
 foam, silicone and resin 
CLAY clay puppet construction 
GENERAL PUPPET MAKING 
other puppet fab issues
STOP MOTION SETS set design and construction
MODEL DEPARTMENT
 miniature prop discussion

and even more...
MATTE PAINTINGS
GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS 
STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION 
FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS
PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION
FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS 
ANIMATION SCHOOLS 
STOP MOTION BOOKS 
STOP MOTION ON VIDEO 
WORK OPPORTUNITIES

FOR SALE 
CHAT BOARD 

WEBSITE NEWS AND FEEDBACK

SMA.com on YouTube

New NMBC Book!

© 2021   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}