StopMotionAnimation.com

taking one frame at a time since 1999

Hello,

I'm watching StopmoNick's amazing youtube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uG-ZIOXZ7w and currently making both methods of a puppet head, one using a hardened interior (epoxy putty and in my case some bakable sculpey in place of the wood) with a dislocated jaw and the other with foam and dislocated jaw.

As in his video, I'm using latex with acrylic paint for the surface. After enough layers, my latex dries looking very glossy. The great puppets in StopmoNick's tutorial are much more matte, and I really want to figure out how to get mine more like this. Any tips? Are different brands of latex important here? I'm using Castin Craft Mold Builder liquid latex. 

THANK YOU!

Views: 34

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks for the kind words, hope to see your results when the puppets are finished.

Glossiness.  Yes, know what you mean. Try dusting the latex with talcum powder when it is dry.  That takes away the tackiness, and also some of the shininess. I don't think it matters what the brand of latex is.  

You could also look at Richard Svensson's puppet making videos.  He uses a mix of applying liquid latex directly to the puppet like I do, and casting pieces of latex skin in a plaster mould and sticking that on.  That gives the kind of detail I get when I cast the puppet in foam latex or silicone, but the moulds for the skin are simple 1 piece moulds, so are easier to make.  And without the weighing, mixing, and baking required for foam latex.

The cast sections naturally come out matte, but he would have the same issues as he blends the edges in with liquid latex, and sometimes brushes over with a latex-paint mixture.

His Youtube channel is Bluworm:   https://www.youtube.com/user/bluworm

There are a lot of videos, and many tutorials showing how he makes his puppets.

He also has a Blog:   http://loneanimator.blogspot.com 

Thanks for your quick and helpful reply. I haven't been doing the talcum powder step, although I have seen you mention it in one of your other videos. I'm going to get some and hopefully that will make a noticeable difference.

I'm grateful for your recommendation of Richard Svensson. Another wormhole of incredible insight, tips, and tricks to dive into. I also have a few bat characters I'm working on for this project and he has a very informative video on making wings, using the latex casted strip method you mention here.

As always, endless thanks. Your openness and generosity sharing advice and feedback makes the sometimes grueling process of a non-commercial (also non-trained) creative animator much more optimistic and encouraging.

StopmoNick said:

Thanks for the kind words, hope to see your results when the puppets are finished.

Glossiness.  Yes, know what you mean. Try dusting the latex with talcum powder when it is dry.  That takes away the tackiness, and also some of the shininess. I don't think it matters what the brand of latex is.  

You could also look at Richard Svensson's puppet making videos.  He uses a mix of applying liquid latex directly to the puppet like I do, and casting pieces of latex skin in a plaster mould and sticking that on.  That gives the kind of detail I get when I cast the puppet in foam latex or silicone, but the moulds for the skin are simple 1 piece moulds, so are easier to make.  And without the weighing, mixing, and baking required for foam latex.

The cast sections naturally come out matte, but he would have the same issues as he blends the edges in with liquid latex, and sometimes brushes over with a latex-paint mixture.

His Youtube channel is Bluworm:   https://www.youtube.com/user/bluworm

There are a lot of videos, and many tutorials showing how he makes his puppets.

He also has a Blog:   http://loneanimator.blogspot.com 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Website News & Tips

STOPMO JAM 3
This time, the theme is HALLOWEEN. All entries must be submitted by September 18, 2021. More info here.

NEW MEMBERS
If you are new to the site, please feel free to introduce yourself on 
this Message Board thread.

MY PAGE
Y
ou can now customize your personal page. Go to My Page/Customize My Page.

PRIVACY
To control who sees your posts and Profile Page, go to Settings/Privacy.

MESSAGE BOARD & BLOG POSTS
If you have a question for the community, it is best to post your question on the Message Board instead of a Blog. Blogs are best for featuring your stop motion projects.

VIDEO
When posting a video, if possible, use the Embed Code instead of the URL. Your video will be a larger, more viewable size.

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

If you have a question or are looking for answers, you'll find a wealth of information here on the Message Board.

BEGINNERS a good place to start
ANIMATOR TALK experienced animators
YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT what r u working on?
STORY script, storyboarding and storyreel
ANIMATION TOOLS
 what's a surface gage?
STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS Dragonframe and VFX
CAMERA & STAGE camera, lighting and moco rigs
SOUND lip-sync, sound effects and music 
ARMATURES ball & socket and wire 
MACHINE SHOP metalwork tool & talk 
SCULPTING sculpture information and advice 
HAIR & COSTUME materials and technique 
CASTING
 foam, silicone and resin 
CLAY clay puppet construction 
GENERAL PUPPET MAKING 
other puppet fab issues
STOP MOTION SETS set design and construction
MODEL DEPARTMENT
 miniature prop discussion

and even more...
MATTE PAINTINGS
GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS 
STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION 
FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS
PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION
FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS 
ANIMATION SCHOOLS 
STOP MOTION BOOKS 
STOP MOTION ON VIDEO 
WORK OPPORTUNITIES

FOR SALE 
CHAT BOARD 

WEBSITE NEWS AND FEEDBACK

SMA.com on YouTube

© 2021   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}