StopMotionAnimation.com

taking one frame at a time since 1999

Thought I'd post a shot of my new sculpt. I will get a newer shot up this week. After some feedback from Bill Stout, I am changing the very heavy spine texture, and taking the heavier thigh scales, which were only the roughest indication, out of there.

I had thought that based on Knight's agathaumus that heavier textures might be an acceptable interpretation. However, I am going more with the heavy wrinkled skin with some scales.

Best,

Rick

Views: 939

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

How thick is the scupley? Are you using the cooler oven  + longer baking time approach?

The legs are pretty much solid super sculpey...I may have had a little foil in the upper thighs. The body probably has about 1/2" of sculpey. I find that on smaller sculpts, I would rather not be making changes and find I have little sculpey left to shape into.

I generally bake longer at around 150 degrees. I always felt that since there is metal inside, it was better to heat more slowly and allow to cool down in the oven to avoid cracking because the sculpey is probably cooling at a different rate than the wire.

Best,

Rick

That looks great. I'm not so much of a "dinosaur guy," and the tendency of some artists (such as William Stout) to emphasize the textures of the skin usually doesn't appeal to me, but it really works here.

I didn't know what a monoclonius was, so I googled some images. It's amazing the variation you find. Some interpretations—and even an actual skull specimen—have the horn smaller and curved downward. Some have it a fine curve, some have it crooked. National Geographic has in illustration that's really well done, but the proportions make the animal look like a pig with a gigantic tail.

In any case, really well done with a wonderful "living" pose.

A beautiful sculpt.  Makes me want to reanimate an 11-year old's love of dinosaurs..

Nice! I can really see the skeletal structure under there, especially the shoulder.  Great pose too - you miss that dynamism when you're always sculpting puppets in a neutral pose.

I'd probably go somewhat smaller and finer on the skin detailing - big scales look great in a small model, but work against the scale when you photograph it.  As a solid model intended to be actually seen in the "flesh" a middle course would probably work. The forearm skin looks perfect to me.

it looks terrific to me just like it is now. 

Thanks for all the comments. I will probably get to take some up-to-date shots on Tuesday evening. This is a "spare-time" project, so I am not at constant work on it.

Best,

Rick

That's amazing, it looks great. Interesting that your getting feedback from William Stout, because I was really reminded of his work when I saw it.

Nice job

Jeff 

Nice work....I want to ride it!

Fantastic!

COOL!

Im really loving the texture of the skin, really well done. did you use just a single tool or something like a customized comb?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Website News & Tips

STOPMO JAM 3
This time, the theme is HALLOWEEN. All entries must be submitted by September 18, 2021. More info here.

NEW MEMBERS
If you are new to the site, please feel free to introduce yourself on 
this Message Board thread.

MY PAGE
Y
ou can now customize your personal page. Go to My Page/Customize My Page.

PRIVACY
To control who sees your posts and Profile Page, go to Settings/Privacy.

MESSAGE BOARD & BLOG POSTS
If you have a question for the community, it is best to post your question on the Message Board instead of a Blog. Blogs are best for featuring your stop motion projects.

VIDEO
When posting a video, if possible, use the Embed Code instead of the URL. Your video will be a larger, more viewable size.

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

If you have a question or are looking for answers, you'll find a wealth of information here on the Message Board.

BEGINNERS a good place to start
ANIMATOR TALK experienced animators
YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT what r u working on?
STORY script, storyboarding and storyreel
ANIMATION TOOLS
 what's a surface gage?
STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS Dragonframe and VFX
CAMERA & STAGE camera, lighting and moco rigs
SOUND lip-sync, sound effects and music 
ARMATURES ball & socket and wire 
MACHINE SHOP metalwork tool & talk 
SCULPTING sculpture information and advice 
HAIR & COSTUME materials and technique 
CASTING
 foam, silicone and resin 
CLAY clay puppet construction 
GENERAL PUPPET MAKING 
other puppet fab issues
STOP MOTION SETS set design and construction
MODEL DEPARTMENT
 miniature prop discussion

and even more...
MATTE PAINTINGS
GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS 
STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION 
FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS
PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION
FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS 
ANIMATION SCHOOLS 
STOP MOTION BOOKS 
STOP MOTION ON VIDEO 
WORK OPPORTUNITIES

FOR SALE 
CHAT BOARD 

WEBSITE NEWS AND FEEDBACK

SMA.com on YouTube

New NMBC Book!

© 2021   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}