Hi all,

I'm one of the developers of OpenToonz, a free and open source 2D animation program.  I recently overhauled the stop motion capabilities of the program.

Please test it out and let me know what works and what needs tweaked.  It supports webcams and Canon DSLR cameras.  

The test version is only released for Windows right now, but we have also tested on Macs and it works too.

You can try it out here:

OpenToonz Stop Motion Test

Thanks,
Jeremy

Views: 259

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks, Jeremy!

Recently I got a pen display "Huion pro 16" and configured if for working with Opentoonz without problems. I'll continue learning the use of the program. As you said, it's not easy; is very different to other software but it's worth  

Hey Jeremy,  good luck with all of this.. I don't know if I got time to test it anyway, have to see.. I'm just about getting use to DF now.. it took me a while.. but now I'm whizzing around doing what I need it to do.. I felt that was a bit of a steep learning curve for me.. but now it seems everything has settled.. I'm trying to learn 'Incremental Editor' on DF now.. new tool for me..  and still haven't got use to how they load movies and images in..   thanks for explaining.. when software lie Toonz is released at ' open source ' does that mean anyone can develop it into a new software like what your doing right?  

James

It makes sense to stick with Dragonframe.  It is a great piece of software.  I'm just making this software to help those who can't afford Dragonframe.  It has a few features that aren't in Dragonframe like the ability to use your screen as a colored light, and easier live view focus check picking.  

The license of OpenToonz is what's called a permissive license. This means that anyone can take the code and make a different version with it.

Jeremy,   yeah thanks I agree..   arghhh I understand now.. it's great your giving more people out there a cheaper different option.. one of the ladies on my puppet fabrication course the other day couldn't afford DF she was asking is there any other cheaper options.. your definitely going to help a lot of people out there... that soun ds cool using your screen as a coloured light.. and the focus checking option, if I understand you properly, that's awesome.. it strains my eyes to hell trying to set the focus in DF cinematography window before starting the animation.. I wish they had an automatic checker on there.. that's an excellent idea... 

and thanks for the quick education on open source.. 

Antonio, 

I managed to get a slider built that will brighten or darken the live view while leaving the final image as is.  It will be in the next version along with a new tab that will take and hold test shots so you can test before placing anything in the timeline.

Great! I wait impatiently!

I shot a little scene yesterday and all worked ok. I did test shots directly in animation and erased them after. A separate test shot line is a great idea. 

There is a version to test.  It has significant improvements to both the stop motion side and the 2d workflow.  You can try it here: https://github.com/turtletooth/tahoma/releases/tag/v1.0-beta.3

Thanks, Jeremy. I downloaded it and looks awesome! I am on holidays now and only can test it in an old pc. Drawing gets important latency and got some unexpected program closings. I think due bad updating of windows8. Next weekend i will return home and will test it in my main system.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

STOPMO NEWBIES
basic stopmo discussion

ANIMATOR TALK
experienced animators looking to improve

CAMERA & STAGE
animation camera, lighting and moco rigs

ANIMATION TOOLS & EQUIPMENT
animation tool and rigging discussion

STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS
frame capture, editing, and post-production

STORY
script, storyboarding and storyreel discussion

SOUND
lip-sync, sound effects and music

YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT
discuss your stopmo film

ARMATURES
ball & socket and wire armature discussion

MACHINE SHOP
metalwork tool & talk

SCULPTING
sculpture information and advice

HAIR & COSTUME
materials, patterns and technique

CASTING
foam, silicone and resin

CLAY
clay puppet construction

GENERAL PUPPET MAKING
other puppet fabrication issues

STOP MOTION SETS
set design and construction information

MODEL DEPARTMENT
miniature prop discussion

MATTE PAINTINGS
glass matte paintings and backgrounds

GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS

STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION

FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS

PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION

FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS

ANIMATION SCHOOLS

STOP MOTION BOOKS

STOP MOTION ON VIDEO

JOBS & PROJECTS
post here if you are looking for talent to hire

SWAP MEET
stop motion items for sale

CHAT BOARD
general discussion

SITE FEEDBACK
report bugs, comments and suggestions here

Latest Activity

© 2020   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}