StopMotionAnimation.com

taking one frame at a time since 1999

Permanent alcohol based inks for painting/detailing urethane rubber puppet surfaces

I know this is a subject of beating a "dead horse" and I know that typically pigments made for urethane rubber are recomended/used for pigmenting/painting urethane rubber surfaces.Ron as I recal was using permanent markers diluted in alcohol (or was it paint thinner,or some other solvent?) and airbrushed in transparent layers and/or applied as washes to the puppet surfaces if I am not mistaken?I found some *NEW* Japanese markers at an art store(sorry,forgot the brand name).They are "alcohol based" and supposidly permanent,acid free,dry fast...all the *positive stuff* we like to hear.You can also get most of the the inks in liquid form and there are a good 50-100 different colors,shades and tones to choose from.The display case was HUGE.I was wondering if these art ink markers would be sufficient to use on urethane puppets for painting/detailing?Also(and this is a stretch),but can alcohol based inks be used on silicone puppets,or has that been tried and failed when attempted?

Views: 1399

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes, 74-30 is specifically made to be a mold making rubber and is pretty tough stuff. It's great if you'd like to have the option to cut the mold open instead of making two halves because it's a very clear amber color. You can see very clearly right through it even if it's thick and that helps with both the mold making and casting. Best of all, 74-30 is one of the more affordable mold rubbers out there.

I am going to use Ecoflex 00-10 for the puppets. I am just learning all of this stuff, stop motion included, over the last few months. I had originally  been planning to use plaster mould to cast silicone but when the guy at FibreTek, where I got the supplies, suggested the vytaflex for the mould. If it DOES work it will hopefully allow for tons of casts before it starts to deteriorate. It is pretty rough looking but I learned a ton of stuff doing this test mould

So far the shore hardness of 50 that the urethane has seems to be firm enough. I would love to use silicone moulds. It looks like silicone is the only thing that sticks to silicone. Does that mean horrible mess even if the contrast in hardness between cast and mould is adequate using silicone mould and silicone cast?ha ha

TEDCO Studios said:

"I would love to use silicone moulds."

Use urethane rubber instead. Polytek makes as rubber called Poly 74-30 that's perfect for making rubber molds you can cast platinum cure silicone out of and it works great.

Thanks very much Ron, 

I will make sure to try out a test mould with Polytek 74-30 before choosing between the two. The Vytaflex 50 seems definitely stiff enough to do the trick. Any imperfections in the mould I am sure are human error;) There is a picture of the mould that I posted recently 

http://www.stopmotionanimation.com/profile/TEDCOStudios

I learned to make sure next time to use a flat sided mould, to make a cleaner transition between halves and to make nice clean keys. I pushed six main ones and a couple of smaller ones just to see the varying results and learned my lesson.

Thanks again and sorry guys for having strayed the conversation from the topic question about painting.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Website News & Tips

October 10, 2021

NEW MEMBERS
If you are new to the site, please feel free to introduce yourself on this Message Board thread.

MY PAGE
You can now customize your personal page. Go to My Page/Customize My Page.

PRIVACY
To control who sees your posts and Profile Page, go to Settings/Privacy.

MESSAGE BOARD & BLOG POSTS
If you have a question for the community, it is best to post your question on the Message Board instead of a Blog. Blogs are best for featuring your stop motion projects.

VIDEO
When posting a video, if possible, use the Embed Code instead of the URL. Your video will be a larger, more viewable size.

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

If you have a question or are looking for answers, you'll find a wealth of information here on the Message Board.

BEGINNERS a good place to start
ANIMATOR TALK experienced animators
YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT what r u working on?
STORY script, storyboarding and storyreel
ANIMATION TOOLS
 what's a surface gage?
STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS Dragonframe and VFX
CAMERA & STAGE camera, lighting and moco rigs
SOUND lip-sync, sound effects and music 
ARMATURES ball & socket and wire 
MACHINE SHOP metalwork tool & talk 
SCULPTING sculpture information and advice 
HAIR & COSTUME materials and technique 
CASTING
 foam, silicone and resin 
CLAY clay puppet construction 
GENERAL PUPPET MAKING 
other puppet fab issues
STOP MOTION SETS set design and construction
MODEL DEPARTMENT
 miniature prop discussion

and even more...
MATTE PAINTINGS
GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS 
STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION 
FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS
PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION
FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS 
ANIMATION SCHOOLS 
STOP MOTION BOOKS 
STOP MOTION ON VIDEO 
WORK OPPORTUNITIES

FOR SALE 
CHAT BOARD 

WEBSITE NEWS AND FEEDBACK

SMA.com on YouTube

New NMBC Book!

© 2021   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}