StopMotionAnimation.com

taking one frame at a time since 1999

Use this space to tell everyone about yourself and your interest in stop motion animation.

Views: 15182

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Welcome Tahdo, I think this site will help you out with your stopmo projects!

Tahdo said:

Hi, my name is Todd, people call me Tahdo. I first became interested in stop motion watching Ray Harryhausen films. I haven’t done any animation since college, 35 to 40 years ago, but the “bug” has bitten again. Working on some 3D printed armatures and characters and looking forward to begin animating. Thanks for the add.

Hello,

I'm a first year uni student from Merry Old England, looking to start my own animation company in the distant future, which will utilize various mediums, in addition to stop-motion, live-action footage and CGI visual effects, ala Gerry Anderson and Thomas the Tank Engine. I'm also a landscape photographer, (which is partly what leaned me towards stop-motion), sound designer, researcher and also specialize in video post-production. 

I've always held a great interest in animation, ever since I was a kid, especially stop-motion. This stems from my love of Noddy, Fireman Sam and Pingu as a kid and later on I discovered the work of Aardman and LAIKA. 

How I started as a stop-motion animator was when I discovered the work of Ivor Wood and Cosgrove Hall in my late teens. One day in September 2017, (the last day of the summer holidays, to be precise), I watched one of the late Richard Williams' tutorials about timing and spacing. Inspired, I took a tealight from a bag lying on the kitchen shelf, traced the spaces for each movement on a piece of paper, took a frame for each movement with my DSLR camera and it's been love ever since! 

https://vimeo.com/233099242

Shortly after, I produced my first model:

https://vimeo.com/239014713

I've been practicing stop-motion for nearly four years now and have been using my first year of uni to refine my skills in the medium, in particular, my first experience using Dragonframe. At the moment, I've been chosen for a uni project on my stop-motion module, along with a few classmates, involving woodland animals, where I'm also working as a key character designer.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IEF0mJoR06MbmeZ_lKVtHZoi0Tbcbsdh/

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WXfxodUEAVZmfFSH6nwWxSTvxATchxso/

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eKbaqCeZa3HKOMzTyTDKEguCdZyn1lWW/

During lockdown, I've also taken time to interview professionals, such as HOT Animation's Paul Couvela and former Pingu co-director Javier Garcia and learning about the production that went into creating some of my favourite films and TV shows has been a massive privilege.

Welcome to the site Christian. Thanks for posting your tests. You are well on your way. I am sure this site will help you out with your Uni projects. 

Christian Winterton said:

Hello,

I'm a first year uni student from Merry Old England, looking to start my own animation company in the distant future, which will utilize various mediums, in addition to stop-motion, live-action footage and CGI visual effects, ala Gerry Anderson and Thomas the Tank Engine. I'm also a landscape photographer, (which is partly what leaned me towards stop-motion), sound designer, researcher and also specialize in video post-production. 

Christopher Weinberg

I have worked about 15 years in stop motion, as of this posting. I am from Portland Oregon. I like photography, cars and music and sunsets, long walks on the beach can make my lower back hurt. I have worked at Laika on Coraline, The Boxtrolls, Paranorman, Kubo and the Two Strings & Missing Link. My job title during those times was Surveyor & Matchmover, which translates to VFX Set Supervisor in the live action world. 

I have deep experience in matching shot elements between stages. What I mean is I have spent a lot of time porting camera moves from one stage to another for the same shot, to line up matching camera plates.

I am happy to answer any questions this community has about this process and how to achieve it in your production.

Cheers!

I'm Elizabeth, I'm 19, and I really like making things. Everything I know about stop motion is self taught right now, a combination of things I saw online and trial and error. I'll be going to college this fall. I hope to make animation my career, or art of any sort, but if I can't, at least I'll never put down the hobby.

I put my stuff on

tumblr: https://paperoxalis.tumblr.com/ 

youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrqsPGTLBkrfO46V7DbSKQQ/

and I'm working on a webpage, but its not ready yet

I've mostly done very short animations, but hope to make longer and better things in the future. I'm a big fan of movies like Coraline and Isle of Dogs, and aspire to work on something like that one day. For now, here I am, and I'm excited to find this community of fellow stop motion people!

Elizabeth 

I enjoyed looking at your work... It looks to me like you are off and running and you have some good energy. Keep on going!

Hello! I'm a marketing guy who primarily does product photography and video and I've been thinking of incorporating some stop motion into my work. I know the very basics (take a picture, move something, take a picture, move something) and that's it. I've been a member here for less than a day and already have seen amazing work by some of you talented people! The talent here is intimidating to be honest. But I'm looking forward to getting to know you all and learning more about stop motion!

I would like to chat with you about your ideas
Cheers Jim

Hello!

I'm 41yo Brazilian/Canadian and autistic.

I had a little project of making quick vignettes showcasing the invisible struggles  of being autistic. I do have a few scripts ready and my first Idea was to film it live action. But...... after researching I figured out that I wouldn't be able to do live action all by myself..... and... as an autistic person..... interacting with others is something I really want to avoid ;)

So a friend gave me the Idea of doing stop motion instead. this way I can have absolutely full control of the "actors" and probably can do most of It by myself.

I did a few tests with playdough and  was satisfied with the result so I think I can handle the challenge. 

Im Very happy to have found this page and I'm pretty sure I will learn a lot with everybody here.  

I sign all my work as George F. Honest.

here is a video of my first test:

https://youtu.be/HbPCJQhyen4

Hi guys ! James Cao, "Studiosushi", I'm a french filmmaker/director/photographer working in the high tech & videogames industry for years now. I'm new into toy photography and my long time dream is animation. I'm now currently in the process of learning stop motion in order to mix all my passions for pictures AND toys !

Hola Guilherme!!!

Fantástico!!! adorei!!!

I encourage you to keep working!!

Guilherme Mascarenhas said:

Hello!

I'm 41yo Brazilian/Canadian and autistic.

I had a little project of making quick vignettes showcasing the invisible struggles  of being autistic. I do have a few scripts ready and my first Idea was to film it live action. But...... after researching I figured out that I wouldn't be able to do live action all by myself..... and... as an autistic person..... interacting with others is something I really want to avoid ;)

So a friend gave me the Idea of doing stop motion instead. this way I can have absolutely full control of the "actors" and probably can do most of It by myself.

I did a few tests with playdough and  was satisfied with the result so I think I can handle the challenge. 

Im Very happy to have found this page and I'm pretty sure I will learn a lot with everybody here.  

I sign all my work as George F. Honest.

here is a video of my first test:

https://youtu.be/HbPCJQhyen4

Hi everyone,

Happy to join a forum to discuss all things stop motion!

I'm Louise, a French self-taught stop-motion animator. I've been making stop motion videos more seriously since last year, particularly claymation which I love. Still learning with each new video I make. I was making stop motion videos as a teenager and went to film making school but didn't pursue that in the end. So a few years ago (I'm 35) as I was making little fimo magnets it kinda hit me that actually working in 3 dimensions (sculpting) just came easily to me so claymation has been a blast. It was like falling in love again with that medium.

I have a YouTube channel where I post my videos and an instagram account for behind the scene pictures mostly.

https://www.youtube.com/c/CURIOUSCLAY/videos

https://www.instagram.com/curious.claymation/

This forum has already been pretty helpful with great conversations I found about lens choices and puppet making so I'm happy to start being actively a part of these. :)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Website News & Tips

STOPMO JAM 3
This time, the theme is HALLOWEEN. All entries must be submitted by September 18, 2021. More info here.

NEW MEMBERS
If you are new to the site, please feel free to introduce yourself on 
this Message Board thread.

MY PAGE
Y
ou can now customize your personal page. Go to My Page/Customize My Page.

PRIVACY
To control who sees your posts and Profile Page, go to Settings/Privacy.

MESSAGE BOARD & BLOG POSTS
If you have a question for the community, it is best to post your question on the Message Board instead of a Blog. Blogs are best for featuring your stop motion projects.

VIDEO
When posting a video, if possible, use the Embed Code instead of the URL. Your video will be a larger, more viewable size.

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

If you have a question or are looking for answers, you'll find a wealth of information here on the Message Board.

BEGINNERS a good place to start
ANIMATOR TALK experienced animators
YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT what r u working on?
STORY script, storyboarding and storyreel
ANIMATION TOOLS
 what's a surface gage?
STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS Dragonframe and VFX
CAMERA & STAGE camera, lighting and moco rigs
SOUND lip-sync, sound effects and music 
ARMATURES ball & socket and wire 
MACHINE SHOP metalwork tool & talk 
SCULPTING sculpture information and advice 
HAIR & COSTUME materials and technique 
CASTING
 foam, silicone and resin 
CLAY clay puppet construction 
GENERAL PUPPET MAKING 
other puppet fab issues
STOP MOTION SETS set design and construction
MODEL DEPARTMENT
 miniature prop discussion

and even more...
MATTE PAINTINGS
GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS 
STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION 
FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS
PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION
FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS 
ANIMATION SCHOOLS 
STOP MOTION BOOKS 
STOP MOTION ON VIDEO 
WORK OPPORTUNITIES

FOR SALE 
CHAT BOARD 

WEBSITE NEWS AND FEEDBACK

SMA.com on YouTube

© 2021   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}