I have got a bit of a problem with shades of green, and I am really hoping someone here knows there modelling clay / plasticines very well and could help me out. I am in the UK and I *think* i have only ever used Newplast. However, I seem to have a shade of light green that it looks like Newplast doesn't do.

This is a problem as I have already used all three colours in a reasonable amount of animation for my current project that I want to add additional scenes to. I could really use some more of this unknown shade of green!

Various sites online list that Newplast comes in "Light Green" and "Green". Before I reaslised I had a problem I assumed there was "Light Green", "Green" and "Dark Green". So I ended up buying different bars of "Light Green" online hoping to get this unknown shade, and then being disappointed when it arrived. This is made worse by variation in the intensity of colour in most stock photos of newplast.

Here is a photo showing the three shades I have:I have included some non green colours in the picture to help the colour balance. The three blocks on the left are orange, mauve and yellow. The two blocks on the right are light green and light blue. The top left bit in the middle is light green, top right is green and along the bottom is this mystery light green.

I have bought clay from a variety of places, so tracking down where I got it from is a bit of a dead end. I am not aware of buying non newplast clay, but I guess it is looking likely that it is a different brand and I didn't notice. It has a very similar feel to newplast. Has anyone got any thoughts or ideas?!

Views: 544

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It looks like if you mix a little of the yellow into your *other* light green you can come pretty close to that shade. In fact I'd try a test - mix up equal size chunks (to get a 1 to 1 mix) with both the light green and the dark green - one of them should be pretty darn close. If so then it won't be hard to mix up a batch. Or if neither of them is close enough then at least you can see approximately what percentages to blend together on your next try - you might end up with a 2:1 mix or something, which really is no harder than a 1:1. 

I have not tried mixing before, but given I have a lot of a green that is not far off it is probably the most sensible thing to do. It might be a while before i need to film with this colour again, so I have some time to experiment.

I guess I was hoping someone might be able to recognise the shade or think of similar brands to newplast, but the chances of getting lucky with that strategy are low. I can start to make some progress with mixing, so I think that is the way to go. Thanks!

Ran into this problem before, with the Blue Aliens. What I would suggest is to follow the color wheel and use small amounts of yellow,and light green, like Strider suggested. But very small so you don't waste clay. Write down the amounts and roll them into balls to properly judge the ratios, if you don't have a gram scale.

Van Aken has a handy color chart on their site as well as some tips I found to be very helpful.

http://www.vanaken.com/tips_tricks.html

You could maybe make some notes and keep them handy.

The way colors were mixed at Vinton's, was they cut each brick of clay up into 16 equal parts.

Then they had a chart of how many squares of each color they used to get a particular shade, and then melted them all together to get the new color.

Anyone know what color this is?

You can pretty much do the same with Newplast, except for melting it. But if it's too difficult to knead the Newplast with your hands, you can use a pasta maker.

Donald Carlson said:

Let's see - looks like magenta, lavender and yellow with a lot of white.. It LOOKS like it should end up a flesh tone, but maybe a bit on the blue side. I'd generally put a lot less blue in flesh. But it's hard to determine the relative amounts of anything - can't see what's down in the bottom (though I'll assume it's mostly magenta, since it looks like that was dumped in first and is already melting). 

Lol - why is that picture from Food Network?   not very yummy really.. 

Thanks for the advice. I was thinking of using a gram scale, but I had not thought about using fixed sized blocks of each colour. I think this is a great idea as it will be easier to keep track of the composition, but also help help divide up the search space into sensible steps.

I think it would be a bad idea to keep adding stuff into one ball, as I would probably loose track of what I had tried before. A pasta maker looks like a great idea, but I feel I am already acquiring too many gadgets purely for stop motion. Lets just hope I don't end up needing to make a huge amount!

Oh, I didn't mean to keep adding to one ball, I meant mixing two or more balls to get a particular color (like the way it's shown on the Van Aken site). I like the blocks, though. Each brick of clay is already divided into four parts, so you just cut all the way through those and then  cut in half the other way, and then each of those pieces get cut in half. It's the most reliable way I've seen to get consistent colors every time. Those Vinton folks were pretty clever.

Yeah that sounds like a good approach. I think I might have just been a bit confused with what I was talking about before. Hopefully I will be able to produce something that looks good. Thanks for the advice everyone.

You know, try as I might, I couldn't get the tint of that image to look consistent with the color in the other images. The main idea was to show the color blocks in a pan. Only place I've ever seen that, actually.  Why Food Network? Well, it was a story on the California Raisins!

Here's the video it was taken from: 

Strider said:

Donald Carlson said:

Let's see - looks like magenta, lavender and yellow with a lot of white.. It LOOKS like it should end up a flesh tone, but maybe a bit on the blue side. I'd generally put a lot less blue in flesh. But it's hard to determine the relative amounts of anything - can't see what's down in the bottom (though I'll assume it's mostly magenta, since it looks like that was dumped in first and is already melting). 

Lol - why is that picture from Food Network?   not very yummy really.. 

Lol - well, at least I was SOTRA eight - it was the flesh of - something! And yeah, too much blue for human flesh.. 

Wow! That should say SORTA right - not SOTRA eight! 

It's interesting to note that more and more often I'm seeing what used to be called "Flesh" now referred to as "Beige". I think this is out of sensitivity to our multicultural friends. The sculpting class I'm taking does still refer to that color as "Flesh", though (as that is what is printed on our blocks of clay). Old habits die hard. I suppose it could be worse... At least we're not calling it "Skin"!!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

STOPMO NEWBIES
basic stopmo discussion

ANIMATOR TALK
experienced animators looking to improve

CAMERA & STAGE
animation camera, lighting and moco rigs

ANIMATION TOOLS & EQUIPMENT
animation tool and rigging discussion

STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS
frame capture, editing, and post-production

STORY
script, storyboarding and storyreel discussion

SOUND
lip-sync, sound effects and music

YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT
discuss your stopmo film

ARMATURES
ball & socket and wire armature discussion

MACHINE SHOP
metalwork tool & talk

SCULPTING
sculpture information and advice

HAIR & COSTUME
materials, patterns and technique

CASTING
foam, silicone and resin

CLAY
clay puppet construction

GENERAL PUPPET MAKING
other puppet fabrication issues

STOP MOTION SETS
set design and construction information

MODEL DEPARTMENT
miniature prop discussion

MATTE PAINTINGS
glass matte paintings and backgrounds

GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS

STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION

FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS

PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION

FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS

ANIMATION SCHOOLS

STOP MOTION BOOKS

STOP MOTION ON VIDEO

JOBS & PROJECTS
post here if you are looking for talent to hire

SWAP MEET
stop motion items for sale

CHAT BOARD
general discussion

SITE FEEDBACK
report bugs, comments and suggestions here

Latest Activity

Xiamu posted a blog post

t is no secret eve Online's UI is a mess

Since you learn skills you will increase your Tech Level, which gates ships, weapons, and other…See More
13 hours ago
Simon Tytherleigh replied to madrobot's discussion What image size do you import from camera?
"Not sure you would want to be editing in 4K, unless you are getting a super powerful water-cooled…"
yesterday
Mike John posted a blog post

Best Way to Create Content Fast For Marketing

You know that you need a lot more content on your website to keep search engines ranked higher, and…See More
yesterday
Zed S. replied to Zed S.'s discussion Best Mold material for Silicone Cast?
"Thanks for this great info! I was in contact with a guy in Chicago that sells and specialize these…"
Monday

© 2020   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}