StopMotionAnimation.com

taking one frame at a time since 1999

Hello everyone,

I am making anew puppet. one of the most important parts of it is to have a breathing belly. do you have any recommendations in which direction I should go? should I use a balloon or build a special mechanism? does anyone have experience with it?

thank you very much!

Gali

Views: 179

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I would go with a mechanical approach  what materials and skills do you have a can give you advice with what you can work with

I tried a rubber balloon, but got air leakage so it didn't hold the same level of inflation for long enough.  So I increased pressure to compensate for leakage, and turned up pressure by a smidgeon when I wanted to increase size by a step.  It was too difficult to control and do small increments in a consistent way, so not a success.  But Ray Harryhausen did it for the Ymir so it can be done.   Next, I tried a breathing chest mechanism, which worked.  Tools needed - saw to cut aluminium (I used a bandsaw).  Drill - drill press is best, but hand drill ok.  Thread tap.  File or belt sander to smooth off corners.  Didn't use lathe or milling machine.  Materials - aluminium 6 or 7mm thick, and a thin piece.  bolt, a couple of thin nuts to fit.  epoxy adhesive.  A couple of pieces of steel rod as guides to slide in holes, so the whole thing doesn't rotate.  A couple of small screws, and matching tap.  Mine looks pretty rough compared to Greyguy's precision mechanics, but it does the job.  I might struggle to do it on a smaller scale, the gorilla was 13" tall and bulky, so plenty of room in there.  It can be seen working here - I shot a 10 second video of the old puppet breathing just before stripping the latex off, and a shot of the bare mechanism working:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWCp0Y9E4xw

Wow thats great information! thank you very very much for the detailed information and for the video link!

StopmoNick said:

I tried a rubber balloon, but got air leakage so it didn't hold the same level of inflation for long enough.  So I increased pressure to compensate for leakage, and turned up pressure by a smidgeon when I wanted to increase size by a step.  It was too difficult to control and do small increments in a consistent way, so not a success.  But Ray Harryhausen did it for the Ymir so it can be done.   Next, I tried a breathing chest mechanism, which worked.  Tools needed - saw to cut aluminium (I used a bandsaw).  Drill - drill press is best, but hand drill ok.  Thread tap.  File or belt sander to smooth off corners.  Didn't use lathe or milling machine.  Materials - aluminium 6 or 7mm thick, and a thin piece.  bolt, a couple of thin nuts to fit.  epoxy adhesive.  A couple of pieces of steel rod as guides to slide in holes, so the whole thing doesn't rotate.  A couple of small screws, and matching tap.  Mine looks pretty rough compared to Greyguy's precision mechanics, but it does the job.  I might struggle to do it on a smaller scale, the gorilla was 13" tall and bulky, so plenty of room in there.  It can be seen working here - I shot a 10 second video of the old puppet breathing just before stripping the latex off, and a shot of the bare mechanism working:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWCp0Y9E4xw

Yes I also think the mechanical approach is what I would like to go with. I have skills for working with different kind of metals and experience as a model maker. I don't have any machines with me at this moment, only manual tools. It would be great to get some tips on how to proceed.. thank you very very much and all the best Gali 

Greyguy said:

I would go with a mechanical approach  what materials and skills do you have a can give you advice with what you can work with

I would go with Nicks approach as it is basically what I would do with limited material

There are of other geometries to do but this works good

great! thank you!

Greyguy said:

I would go with Nicks approach as it is basically what I would do with limited material

There are of other geometries to do but this works good

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Website News & Tips

STOPMO JAM 3
This time, the theme is HALLOWEEN. All entries must be submitted by September 18, 2021. More info here.

NEW MEMBERS
If you are new to the site, please feel free to introduce yourself on 
this Message Board thread.

MY PAGE
Y
ou can now customize your personal page. Go to My Page/Customize My Page.

PRIVACY
To control who sees your posts and Profile Page, go to Settings/Privacy.

MESSAGE BOARD & BLOG POSTS
If you have a question for the community, it is best to post your question on the Message Board instead of a Blog. Blogs are best for featuring your stop motion projects.

VIDEO
When posting a video, if possible, use the Embed Code instead of the URL. Your video will be a larger, more viewable size.

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

If you have a question or are looking for answers, you'll find a wealth of information here on the Message Board.

BEGINNERS a good place to start
ANIMATOR TALK experienced animators
YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT what r u working on?
STORY script, storyboarding and storyreel
ANIMATION TOOLS
 what's a surface gage?
STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS Dragonframe and VFX
CAMERA & STAGE camera, lighting and moco rigs
SOUND lip-sync, sound effects and music 
ARMATURES ball & socket and wire 
MACHINE SHOP metalwork tool & talk 
SCULPTING sculpture information and advice 
HAIR & COSTUME materials and technique 
CASTING
 foam, silicone and resin 
CLAY clay puppet construction 
GENERAL PUPPET MAKING 
other puppet fab issues
STOP MOTION SETS set design and construction
MODEL DEPARTMENT
 miniature prop discussion

and even more...
MATTE PAINTINGS
GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS 
STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION 
FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS
PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION
FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS 
ANIMATION SCHOOLS 
STOP MOTION BOOKS 
STOP MOTION ON VIDEO 
WORK OPPORTUNITIES

FOR SALE 
CHAT BOARD 

WEBSITE NEWS AND FEEDBACK

SMA.com on YouTube

© 2021   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}