Hello everyone!
I would like to say that maybe, from time to time in my post i will get into more detail, but this tends only to show my skill level, and perhaps some mistakes that i have made.

SO, I am making a puppet for a stopmotion indie game project...some pics below.

At this point the puppet is almost finished, its having a shirt, but i havent put it on. Its made primarily from metal, excluding the right hand, which is from plastic, and the head - polyurethane foam with acryllic paint on top.

The armature is, as i have found somewhere in the internet, called "The poor man's armature". Its containing of aluminium tubes, at which end there is some wood, in which the joints on the left are winded. For the joints that need more complicated moves (legs, arms, spine and neck) i have used the ones on the right, which resembe a ball&socket armature, theyre just made in China (i miss here the balls, because theyre glued to the armature itself)

Okay, until here everything looks normal, works kinda nice, and looks good to me (there will be a papercrafted cogwheel between the right arm and the body, thats why i've left some space). 

I have planned to do my first tests on a walking cycle (without special light or anything, just to see how it works) in tuesday. I've made some research at this guy's blog https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8clb4U9UV4A&feature=relmfuAt (maybe hes famous, if he is, excuse me that i dont know him:))) At this point I realised that maybe its a mistake to do the sketches for the animation AFTER the construction of the puppet... i was thinking, that when it can move even more freely than a human body, everything will be cool :D.

So, yesterday the RIGGING problem occured, and it cought me by the neck, and its not letting go.

First, i tried to do the rig similar to this one i've seen in the video, but i wasnt able to figure out neither how to make the part which holds the rods together, neither from where to get it. In animateclay.com i've seen how the professional ones look, but i dont have joints this strong, to hold the puppet in the air with this angled position of the rod - the puppet is all just metal, and it weights round 200 - 250 grams. So i've tried some of my guesses how it should work, but it didnt. Today i came out with this.

When i look at it on the picture now, it seems ridiculous. Anyway....

So, if the length of the rod is kinda funny, i seriously dont really know where exactly to hold the puppet on the rig. At the moment its attached to the shoulders armature, The joint on the rig was supposed to be able to hold the puppet during the walking cycle's shift in heigth.

But the holding will restrict its movements for the walking cycle - i want to have it more manly, with shoulders waving around :) I cannot reach the spine armature, because on the back there's a clock mechanism - if i drill through it, it will die!

So, after this long post, i form some questions now :)

1. In general, what mistakes have i done during the construction?
2..Where should i attach the puppet to the rig?
3.What type of joints should be used for the rig itself? Or maybe i can use some other, more complicated construction?
4.Any ideas will be great
Thanks!

Views: 322

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I looked at that video, and the rig had one difference that might help you.  The horizontal bar extends past the other side of the support stand, so it could have a weight on it, to balance the weight of the puppet.

That's what I did with a very large and heavy dinosaur puppet, I had a counterweight on the other side of the rig so the weight of the puppet was balanced.

I usually don't need a rig for walking - only for jumping or flying.  I attach my rig to the hip of the puppet, so the back is free to bend.  For small light puppets, I make the rig out of armature wire.  For a heavier puppet, I had to use ball and socket joints. (See photo.)  I had a mount on the back and front of the pelvis, and used which ever one was behind the puppet for that shot. 

Attachments:

Everything runs as smoothly as possible for a first-timer :) Thank you!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

STOPMO NEWBIES
basic stopmo discussion

ANIMATOR TALK
experienced animators looking to improve

CAMERA & STAGE
animation camera, lighting and moco rigs

ANIMATION TOOLS & EQUIPMENT
animation tool and rigging discussion

STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS
frame capture, editing, and post-production

STORY
script, storyboarding and storyreel discussion

SOUND
lip-sync, sound effects and music

YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT
discuss your stopmo film

ARMATURES
ball & socket and wire armature discussion

MACHINE SHOP
metalwork tool & talk

SCULPTING
sculpture information and advice

HAIR & COSTUME
materials, patterns and technique

CASTING
foam, silicone and resin

CLAY
clay puppet construction

GENERAL PUPPET MAKING
other puppet fabrication issues

STOP MOTION SETS
set design and construction information

MODEL DEPARTMENT
miniature prop discussion

MATTE PAINTINGS
glass matte paintings and backgrounds

GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS

STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION

FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS

PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION

FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS

ANIMATION SCHOOLS

STOP MOTION BOOKS

STOP MOTION ON VIDEO

JOBS & PROJECTS
post here if you are looking for talent to hire

SWAP MEET
stop motion items for sale

CHAT BOARD
general discussion

SITE FEEDBACK
report bugs, comments and suggestions here

Latest Activity

Simon Tytherleigh replied to Eli's discussion Looking for Voice Acting
"Have you tried local actors? I suspect you will get the sort of talent you are looking for there,…"
17 hours ago
obaidul hassan replied to Eli's discussion Looking for Voice Acting
"This is really helpful information that you have shared with me I was searching for the solution…"
yesterday
StopmoNick replied to Savannah Winchester's discussion How to? : Slimey, gooey texture to puppet body
"I'm just asking Peter Montgomery on FB if it is ok to share his foam & latex worm puppet…"
yesterday
StopmoNick replied to Savannah Winchester's discussion How to? : Slimey, gooey texture to puppet body
"Those would be best made with silicone rubber, which has some translucency, and does suit a slimy…"
yesterday

© 2020   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}