Hey guys-

Well it's been a very very long time coming but, it's finally here Sinbad The Fifth Voyage will finally be in theaters This coming February 7th. There's a list of cities it will be showing in on the latest poster but, if you can't get to one of them, I believe it will also be available 'On-Demand' and on DVD.Here are the two previews for it, just in case you've never seen them...

Views: 2880

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This is rare that an indie feature having some theatrical release. I am speculating if mainstream releases are slow,  the theater managers consider small films as temporary fill-in. Advertising is a mega-large part of the mainstream flicks. 5th Voyage is obviously low budget and cannot compete with hyper-marketing costs

IMO, perhaps another release distribution could have been considered, such as offering 5th Voyage to the major cable movie channels. Then you have video on demand option such as what Netflix and other movie streaming vendors offer.

There is almost no feedback reviews on the internet yet. If I was publicist, I would have offered to movie reviewers, a private (streaming) preview of 5th Voyage. Not just teasers, but the entire movie. This way, when they post reviews, it generates some internet buzz & interest. Of course, there is risk that reviewers will bash 5th Voyage, but at least it gets some kind of attention ... good or bad reveiws, that is publicity/marketing. 

I know excitement among us in this niche specialty of stop motion animation but the world out there can be tough. People are bombarded with sooo much distraction ... creating hyper-short attention span public, also, very shallow appreciation of cinema. Masses indoctrinated to instant CGI eye excess empty calorie entertainment that is quickly forgotten the next week.

-LIO 

John Downey said:

I saw it yesterday ... was a bit disappointed with the turnout ... the theatre would have held 150 or so. My wife and I and one other couple were the only ones there. I asked the ticket seller about the prior show and she said no one bought tickets for it. Not a got sign for its longevity. Ours was the 2:00pm showing which might account for part of it.

I loved the animation, but unfortunately the acting was nothing to write home about.
All the stop-mo made it worth seeing. Makes you appreciate just how well R.H. was able to do what he did with the technology of the time.

Perhaps I was expecting too much, after having waited so long in anticipation. Going to have to think some more on it.
... jbd
Yes, surprising how little feedback there has been.

A bigger budget for advertising would have helped.

There are so few stop motion films being produced I hate to see any one of them do poorly at the box-office.

... jbd

"empty calorie entertainment"... good point as to what is out there. I'd take this movie over Dreamworks recent stuff any day. This movie was definitely a labor of love. Most of the pacing and acting was good. Compositing was sub-par is some shots and pretty good in others. The stop motion and puppets were great.  I'll buy the DVD and hope it has some production features.

LIOs Nephew said:

This is rare that an indie feature having some theatrical release. I am speculating if mainstream releases are slow,  the theater managers consider small films as temporary fill-in. Advertising is a mega-large part of the mainstream flicks. 5th Voyage is obviously low budget and cannot compete with hyper-marketing costs

IMO, perhaps another release distribution could have been considered, such as offering 5th Voyage to the major cable movie channels. Then you have video on demand option such as what Netflix and other movie streaming vendors offer.

There is almost no feedback reviews on the internet yet. If I was publicist, I would have offered to movie reviewers, a private (streaming) preview of 5th Voyage. Not just teasers, but the entire movie. This way, when they post reviews, it generates some internet buzz & interest. Of course, there is risk that reviewers will bash 5th Voyage, but at least it gets some kind of attention ... good or bad reveiws, that is publicity/marketing. 

I know excitement among us in this niche specialty of stop motion animation but the world out there can be tough. People are bombarded with sooo much distraction ... creating hyper-short attention span public, also, very shallow appreciation of cinema. Masses indoctrinated to instant CGI eye excess empty calorie entertainment that is quickly forgotten the next week.

-LIO 

John Downey said:

I saw it yesterday ... was a bit disappointed with the turnout ... the theatre would have held 150 or so. My wife and I and one other couple were the only ones there. I asked the ticket seller about the prior show and she said no one bought tickets for it. Not a got sign for its longevity. Ours was the 2:00pm showing which might account for part of it.

I loved the animation, but unfortunately the acting was nothing to write home about.
All the stop-mo made it worth seeing. Makes you appreciate just how well R.H. was able to do what he did with the technology of the time.

Perhaps I was expecting too much, after having waited so long in anticipation. Going to have to think some more on it.
... jbd

In regards to marketing...I wonder if those early teaser trailers hurt more than helped? 

I hate to engage in Monday morning quarterbacking, but I suspect if the trailers had spent less time focused on Sinbad standing around looking pensive, they might have engaged a larger audience. 

Still, I'm willing to bet a theatrical release for this film would never really generate the sort of response (and $$) that will eventually result from DVD sales. 

Does anybody know when this will be available in either DVD or streaming format?

Roger Beck said:

Does anybody know when this will be available in either DVD or streaming format?

I certainly hope it's soon because I really need this animation on my demo reel.

That would be great. I doubt that it will be on the big screen in my neck of the woods.

Ron, sorry to post this here, could you send me a mail? I need to hear from you.

Sinbad: The Fifth Voyage is available on VOD now (Amazon, iTunes, MGo, Vudu, Blockbuster on Demand, etc.). Is there any chance that it will be coming to Netflix streaming soon?

I'll see if I can find out...

That would be awesome. Thanks!

I got a reply from the producer, here's what he replied...

"It sure as hell is going to be on Netflix my friend! In April. It will also be in Walmart for DVD in feb."

Reply to Discussion

RSS

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

STOPMO NEWBIES
basic stopmo discussion

ANIMATOR TALK
experienced animators looking to improve

CAMERA & STAGE
animation camera, lighting and moco rigs

ANIMATION TOOLS & EQUIPMENT
animation tool and rigging discussion

STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS
frame capture, editing, and post-production

STORY
script, storyboarding and storyreel discussion

SOUND
lip-sync, sound effects and music

YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT
discuss your stopmo film

ARMATURES
ball & socket and wire armature discussion

MACHINE SHOP
metalwork tool & talk

SCULPTING
sculpture information and advice

HAIR & COSTUME
materials, patterns and technique

CASTING
foam, silicone and resin

CLAY
clay puppet construction

GENERAL PUPPET MAKING
other puppet fabrication issues

STOP MOTION SETS
set design and construction information

MODEL DEPARTMENT
miniature prop discussion

MATTE PAINTINGS
glass matte paintings and backgrounds

GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS

STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION

FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS

PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION

FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS

ANIMATION SCHOOLS

STOP MOTION BOOKS

STOP MOTION ON VIDEO

JOBS & PROJECTS
post here if you are looking for talent to hire

SWAP MEET
stop motion items for sale

CHAT BOARD
general discussion

SITE FEEDBACK
report bugs, comments and suggestions here

Latest Activity

jimmy zack updated their profile
13 hours ago
alicelee posted a discussion

So sanh gia thong minh dong hanh mua sam cung ban

So sánh giá thông minh đồng hành mua sắm cùng bạn Bạn yêu thích mua sắm nhưng lại bị thời gian hạn…See More
18 hours ago
Ian Harding commented on STOPMOCHESS's photo
Thumbnail

P1470465

"Looks great!, love the big eye, hat and chain :)"
20 hours ago
Ian Harding commented on Lillie Fischer's photo
Thumbnail

Many Monsters

"Hi, Lillie, Your characters are great looking, look forward in seeing your short :)"
20 hours ago

© 2020   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}