I find myself in mourning and the death came unexpectedly. I may have been the last person to post a topic on the old SMA message board... I just clicked on that little icon that's been in my bookmarks bar for years and I got a message that said 'page not found'.

I know that this site replaces the old one and it serves the same purpose with more abilities but... that old SMA was my old neighborhood that I just saw burn to the ground and I'm a bit upset at the moment. This is a death, past which I won't be able to 'move on' quite so quickly.

Views: 781

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That is massive!  I have a recent backup but never counted the photo files.  

Paul,

What did you use to download the entire site?  I tried WinHTTrack, but although it said it downloaded everything, when I checked, there was a lot missing.  I think WebInformationExtractor will do the trick, but I do not have a non-sample version, so I cannot save anything.

Is there a way I can get the file from you?  I am trying to clean up the information and put it into an InDesign document and do some other useful dbms stuff.  There is too much hard-won, freely shared information there for it just to either vanish or not have someone who will organize and edit it.

Ron,

Tell me it aint so!  I was just about to go in and start trying to dig out the most useful parts of posts.  Hopefully I can still get a copy of the entire board somehow, and start to edit it.  I would very much like to get together with you and Nick, Strider and Anthony, and some other members who either are working professionally, or have demonstrated skills and knowledge, and put together some kind of document with as much information on the art as possible.  It could be sold, with the profits going to the participants, or to Anthony for his many years of help, put into a scholarship or award or given away free, whatever the group decides.  I just want to preserve the incredible knowledge and experiences which were represented on the old message board, along with the old message board.  I have even thought of hosting, at my own expense, the old board, if Anthony would let me.

I feel a lot like you do, although I have only been a member here since January of this year, I have made many good friends, seen some incredible work, and in general, had a blast.  The old site is where I spent about 90% of my online time.

Without the old message board, the new site is not very useful for me except as away to contact people I know from it.  I know Anthony has Paul working on putting up the old message board, but not having it online does tend to make me very nervous.

Martin, the entire site will be back online at a new location, as a fully searchable, readable archive very soon. I am using FTP to do the transfers. I'm moving the site, lock stock and barrel, to my own servers. About half way through the process now. This is being done to preserve the entire site, including every thread, post and image, so that it will be fully accessible forever.

It's the end of an era, and like Ron I've just encountered that 'Page not found' notice, but as we say here when one king dies and a new one replaces him, "The king is dead! Long live the king!" And unlike dead kings, the old SMA will still live on in its way but preserved, never changing, thanks to what sounds like a titanic job taken on by Paul McConnochie.

Thanks to Paul and Anthony you guys are Great and I appreciate all that you do and the people here!

You are welcome Greyguy.

Actually dead kings remained presreved in ancient Egypt too... 

McTodd said:

It's the end of an era, and like Ron I've just encountered that 'Page not found' notice, but as we say here when one king dies and a new one replaces him, "The king is dead! Long live the king!" And unlike dead kings, the old SMA will still live on in its way but preserved, never changing, thanks to what sounds like a titanic job taken on by Paul McConnochie.

True, but I'm British and my comment was in the context of my culture - we don't mummify kings here, we let them rot in grand crypts.

That is GREAT news, Paul.  Having it on your own server will be especially good.  SQL is a very good spec for dbmss, easy to use, and very stable, a solid standard which almost everything else either works with or can convert.

Paul J. McConnochie said:

Martin, the entire site will be back online at a new location, as a fully searchable, readable archive very soon. I am using FTP to do the transfers. I'm moving the site, lock stock and barrel, to my own servers. About half way through the process now. This is being done to preserve the entire site, including every thread, post and image, so that it will be fully accessible forever.

The activity on SMA is very high, it is probably one of the most active sites on arts on the net, and the cohesiveness of the community is a testament to that.  I am working on a Masters degree in Creativity Studies and will be making extensive use of the message board.  I might be asking members to participate in some surveys on their creative process, if they are so inclined.

I feel like I hit the mother lode!

The Stop-Motion Handbook this page is lost... www.stopmotionanimation.com/handbook/index.htm
i need it for my last assignment, please re post the page... i really need that...
thank you

Reply to Discussion

RSS

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

STOPMO NEWBIES
basic stopmo discussion

ANIMATOR TALK
experienced animators looking to improve

CAMERA & STAGE
animation camera, lighting and moco rigs

ANIMATION TOOLS & EQUIPMENT
animation tool and rigging discussion

STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS
frame capture, editing, and post-production

STORY
script, storyboarding and storyreel discussion

SOUND
lip-sync, sound effects and music

YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT
discuss your stopmo film

ARMATURES
ball & socket and wire armature discussion

MACHINE SHOP
metalwork tool & talk

SCULPTING
sculpture information and advice

HAIR & COSTUME
materials, patterns and technique

CASTING
foam, silicone and resin

CLAY
clay puppet construction

GENERAL PUPPET MAKING
other puppet fabrication issues

STOP MOTION SETS
set design and construction information

MODEL DEPARTMENT
miniature prop discussion

MATTE PAINTINGS
glass matte paintings and backgrounds

GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS

STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION

FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS

PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION

FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS

ANIMATION SCHOOLS

STOP MOTION BOOKS

STOP MOTION ON VIDEO

JOBS & PROJECTS
post here if you are looking for talent to hire

SWAP MEET
stop motion items for sale

CHAT BOARD
general discussion

SITE FEEDBACK
report bugs, comments and suggestions here

Latest Activity

First City Films replied to First City Films's discussion I've Tried Everything - Flickering Issues...
"I appreciate your reply. I built all the light rigs myself based on a Roger Dekins model, but I…"
33 minutes ago
Simon Tytherleigh replied to First City Films's discussion I've Tried Everything - Flickering Issues...
"Have you dimmed your LED lights? They work on PWM, which basically turns them off and on so quickly…"
3 hours ago
First City Films replied to First City Films's discussion I've Tried Everything - Flickering Issues...
"Thank you, Nick. Have you ever used the program "Flicker Free"? Any thoughts? …"
6 hours ago
Oliviya Strome posted blog posts
13 hours ago

the inventor

© 2020   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}