What's everyone's favorite armature? Available as either a kit or pre-made?

As the title states, I'd be curious to know what everyone's favorite armatures are that are either available pre-made, or as a kit. E.G armacreature, Animation Supplies, Armaverse, Monster Tin, Animation Toolkit premades, etc etc

Would love to hear from people who have tried a few of them. What was your favorite, regardless of cost?

A lot of new armatures have come out since I made my last film, and looking to get an armature to start practicing again.

Thanks!

Harrie

Views: 2591

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Marc, I agree with some of the complaints on the Animation Toolkit Anibild. I just received 2 Anibild 3 Pro kits and as described, there were metal shavings in the threaded holes and the parts leave your hands black when you're putting the kit together. Also, it's kind of hard to keep the tension consistent on one of the toe joints. I had a couple of extra parts in my kits so maybe I got what others were missing!

I can't compare it to other kits since these are the only ones I've ever bought. Overall, they do seem well made for the price and are fairly fluid. I'll be trying it out later this coming week as I start my submission for the Jam. Will let you all know how it works.

Always used my own, from the very beginning.  I wanted the best I could get, and not having the $$ for that, was fortunate to get the training and tools I needed to produce them myself.  I feel those Armaverse/low end kits are a complete and utter waste of money; the mid-range kits (like J. Clarke and J. Kling) seem pretty reasonable for the price. The high-end has always been for me; no half measures...

Ted

Trikfx.com

Dude! Just had a look at your website, there's some really nice work in there! Some of your armatures are almost too pretty to cover in a puppet ;)

trikfx said:

Always used my own, from the very beginning.  I wanted the best I could get, and not having the $$ for that, was fortunate to get the training and tools I needed to produce them myself.  I feel those Armaverse/low end kits are a complete and utter waste of money; the mid-range kits (like J. Clarke and J. Kling) seem pretty reasonable for the price. The high-end has always been for me; no half measures...

Ted

Trikfx.com

Thanks Hendrikus; I always thought the armature was the best part of any puppet. I had quite a natural knack for making armatures, but it was the generosity of my (very skilled) teachers that made all the difference. I really miss doing it for a living. I'll dust off my shop eventually, but right now all my (sparse) spare time and energy are spent building a giant castle playset in the backyard for my sons. Maybe after that...

Reply to Discussion

RSS

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

STOPMO NEWBIES
basic stopmo discussion

ANIMATOR TALK
experienced animators looking to improve

CAMERA & STAGE
animation camera, lighting and moco rigs

ANIMATION TOOLS & EQUIPMENT
animation tool and rigging discussion

STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS
frame capture, editing, and post-production

STORY
script, storyboarding and storyreel discussion

SOUND
lip-sync, sound effects and music

YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT
discuss your stopmo film

ARMATURES
ball & socket and wire armature discussion

MACHINE SHOP
metalwork tool & talk

SCULPTING
sculpture information and advice

HAIR & COSTUME
materials, patterns and technique

CASTING
foam, silicone and resin

CLAY
clay puppet construction

GENERAL PUPPET MAKING
other puppet fabrication issues

STOP MOTION SETS
set design and construction information

MODEL DEPARTMENT
miniature prop discussion

MATTE PAINTINGS
glass matte paintings and backgrounds

GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS

STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION

FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS

PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION

FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS

ANIMATION SCHOOLS

STOP MOTION BOOKS

STOP MOTION ON VIDEO

JOBS & PROJECTS
post here if you are looking for talent to hire

SWAP MEET
stop motion items for sale

CHAT BOARD
general discussion

SITE FEEDBACK
report bugs, comments and suggestions here

Latest Activity

Oliviya Strome posted blog posts
1 hour ago
Hannah Thomas posted blog posts
4 hours ago
StopmoNick replied to First City Films's discussion I've Tried Everything - Flickering Issues...
"It looks very much like the flicker I got that turned out to be due to small fluctuations in the AC…"
8 hours ago
First City Films posted a discussion

I've Tried Everything - Flickering Issues...

Getting ready to film a feature and I can't get rid of flickering issues. Have been watching…See More
9 hours ago

the inventor

© 2020   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}